Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSDR 1.4 before the rapture or after the second coming

Bob Forrest
Bob Forrest Member ✭✭

Answers

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Huh?.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Neither After all bugs have been discovered and fixed
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Be patient and get over it!
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020

Come On man please wait hi hi

• K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Even the Flex-flavored kool-aid drinkers must admit, this update is well beyond past due. Which means the rest of the items are pushed out that much further into the future. Forget about LAN remote or FM; are we ever going to see the promised "funtionality equivalent to that of the Flex 5000" ? Flex should have concentrated on producing hardware only, and left the software to the open source community. They would have sold many more radios, and we would have all been better off. FWIW, I also owned an ANAN-100D. I sold it to buy the Flex-6500 about a year ago, at which time Flex's sales department assured me the software progress would improve. I am now seriously considering another 100D, as I am missing some of the funtionality and customization OpenHPSDR affords. While the hardware leaves a lot to be desired, the software portion is hard to beat. If Flex had gone the open source route, no one would even know the name Apache Labs, as there would not have been any competion hardware-wise. Now if I could only have he functionality of OpenHPSDR with Flex hardware.......... Eric K2CB
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Yes, but if the new "thin client" platform began as an open source project, I believe it would be much further along by now.
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Sadly Eric you are correct.

FlexRadio may need to learn the hard way.

When you make a promise to customers, you must keep to it.

Without us they have no business, they need to remember that.

Right now they have lost all credibility to deliver on time.

We are still with you Flex at the moment, but you are pushing our patience too far.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
    They. Have corrected the issue of ON TIME. They will no longer publish relesse dates so they can never again have an "on Time" issue. In the future
  • IW7DMH, Enzo
    IW7DMH, Enzo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I learned that in the new Flex the magic happens entirely into the rig.
    The client can be as thin as an Arduino and your Flex still can work.
    At the moment this is simply not possible for other sdr rigs.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The problem is Howard, that they decided to clam up (totally) at the wrong time, close to the estimated date of a release. People are protesting more that the lack of news IMHO. 1.4 is good enough to show at rallies, have a video made of it, it was declared weeks ago that there was one last bug to fix and for Gerald to say it had been running all night with 8 slices open. All that infers "very soon", and that was months ago.

I have no problem at all with no further publishing of release dates, but I would like progress reports as in the past

I understand what you say below, but FRS should come clean if there has been a major problem...and it sounds like there has been.

The way FRS has handled this does not do it credit and can only damage the brand. What is it that they say about reputations, years to build and seconds to ruin?

They picked the worst possible time to stay schtum and keep its previously well-updated customers in the dark.

An authoritative statement from FRS NOW would mitigate the damage done by this public relations disaster. I am not concerned about the date of the release itself - 1.4 it has to be right; but to say it is almost ready and then not let it see the light of day for months after that is not good.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    tedious
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    There is no open source software that can do what they plan on doing with SSDR. The code just can not be worked to sample at such a wide range. And it is **** client, won't do.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Your right Howard, but most these guys will never understand this .lol I think some of these guys are visiting from the Anan group and they likely don't even own a Flex. I hear them trash Flex every day.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    maybe it's Win 10 (beta) compatibility issues ??
    "I prefer a bad excuse, to no news..."

• Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    As a customer and long term software developer that has worked on very large complex projects I have some comments for the thread.

They are correct that discoveries are made along the way when developing a piece of software of this complexity. Your best understanding of the problem is when the last line of code has been written. It is rare that all issues are foreseen and scheduled in advance.

While the remote feature is cool there are other features that should have been cleared off of the table first (e.g. ATU memories). This part of the discussion I get and everyone has their own priority list. Personally, I miss the binaural audio feature of PowerSDR as it opened the "sound stage" and reduced listening fatigue.

Relying on the Open Source community is double edged and has it own pluses and minuses on a project by project basis. The bottom line is that Flex Radio is a business and for it to continue it requires a trusting customer base. This is really hard to achieve in this "I want it now" world. Deliver early with a bug ridden product and failure is ensured, deliver late with a solid product and you get better respect from me.

Please listen, get the basic functionality (e.g. memories, noise reduction etc.) off the table then add the edge cases like remote. If someone wants remote operation there are lots of solutions in place until it is offered by the mothership.

Almost done, for me the binaural audio feature would be really cool and used during each session. The "every day" items are what is important for a piece of hardware of this level.
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You could always do like me, wait a few years to make a purchase.  As a Flex 1500 - SDR 2.7.2 user, I'm only blithely aware of 1.4 and related release date issues.  (It doesn't make much sense for me to move to another hardware platform when my shack computer has been co-opted for Minecraft activities. )
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The problem is this remote effects almost everything in the radio, remote needs to be in now to see what it is effecting. After this is nailed down and understood other features can be added after understanding how they will be effected.
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    A very valid point - sir!
  • Barry Comer
    Barry Comer Member
    edited May 2015
    Tim, keep on testing - a stable product is required.

As a customer and after the refactoring has completed I would personally like to see the date schedule return with "approximate" scheduling. I cannot relate to FRS how important this is. Are the dates written in stone - no, but these forums are an excellent source of information for prioritizing features if you can filter out the "noise".
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I can confirm that Mike does not have a Kool-aide mustache :-)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Richard, I started SDRs with a 1500 two years ago, and quickly upgraded to a 6500. My opinion is that by waiting for the software to be "perfect" before purchase you are only denying yourself the pleasure of the best receiver out there. The only major functionality I miss is the Noise Blanker, and by careful adjustment of NB and AGC-T I can make do. But I all other areas the 6500 is a superior rig that has gotten better with every release. I don't refuse to eat a good steak just because it might have a small **** of **** in the wrong place. I cut around it and enjoy. But I know people who do. And others who won't eat a banana if it has a single small spot on the peeling.
  • Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    There are a number of factors at play in my decision not to upgrade hardware at the moment but waiting on perfect software isn't part of the equation.  I am curious as to whether there will be new hardware announced at Dayton this year, but perhaps that's better left for another thread.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, 1.3.8.126 is stable, running well, have had abt. 1k digital QSO's until now with my new 6500. I'm looking forward to 1.4 but not biting my fingernails - yet. BTW my mustache is not kool-aid dyed. I still use salt water, as a sailor....
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015
     What I keep hearing here is the same thing I hear when the grand kids are in the car on a trip to the amusement park, which is, "Are we there yet?"

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Almost, just around the next corner, and over the next hill, next light, oops got to stop for gas sorry.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    This?  Again?

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Tim this is only meant to be constructive and not wining.. I think delays happen.. stuff happens..  but when a release is months past due, it could be good to sort of give regular customer updates to keep the qrm down.  maybe a weekly or bi-weekly status and or a release date has been revised to **** because of the major rework involved in completely changing the interface..and here is what is going on behind the scenes.  Solid communication and transparency is the best bet when dealing with a technical customer base IMHO.  Also an open beta program would be another way to keep down the qrm.. Elecraft has used this model for years.. offering beta versions of software to the customer base with a disclaimer that it is not fully ready for prime time.  something to consider.

Thanks for your work and you are doing a great job and these are just suggestions.   Hopefully we will have a lot of happy campers once this gets done.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.