Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SSB peak control

N3NER
N3NER Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
"SSB Peak control"  I have heard this talked about and even see this as a selection in the "Stacks for Flex" application.  Can someone give me some details on this and how to enable it on the flex not using the "Stacks for Flex"?

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Can you provide more information?  Links to articles, etc?

Are you confusing this with Controlled Envelope Single Side Band? (CESSB) which gives you an extra effective 2.5db output in SSB mode thanks to no ALC overshooting.

Mike

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    CESSB would be another Flex game changer
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    N3NER, you must of been listening to my QSO on 160M! I made a comment last night on the air about how well FRStacks works in my setup but had a question as to a option it has under Radio > Mic >  called "SSB Peak Control". 

As for the replies about CESSB, isn't that already incorporated into the DX+ Comp? FRStacks has the option to select the 3 different Comp levels, but this SSB Peak Control is totally separate.
  • Joe  N9VX
    Joe N9VX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It already has CESSB.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    That is correct I believe CESSB is built into the Proc, looks like they have changed the game...
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    CESSB science: 

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QEX_Next_Issue/2014/Nov-Dec_2014/Hershberger_QEX_11_14.pdf 

and yes, it's built into SSDR. It's in the manual page 89 ff.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Exactly, so this SSB Peak Control in FRStacks is not for CESSB and is something else, but what is that something else?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    AFAIK FRStack has a Slice S-Meter peak hold indicator. "SSB Peak control" is nowhere mentioned.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    In FRStacks it is under Radio, then Mic, bottom of the list.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited March 2018
    We actually use a modified version of CESSB that has some enhancements over the original design, FYI
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks everyone for the replies.  For some reason I'm not getting any notices of replies.  Yes my account has the correct email and it does not send out a verification which I tried many times. 
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Was there a correct answer?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    You're right, Gary. I'll contact Mark W3II and ask him.
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I did and all he said was it was a command in the FlexAPI Radio object property called SSBPeakControlEnable.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    OK, thanks, Gary. I'm not much wiser, then ;-)
  • Gary NC3Z
    Gary NC3Z Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Neither am I, inquiring minds would love to know what this can invoke!
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Here http://www.flexradio.com/flexlib/class_flex_1_1_smoothlake_1_1_flex_lib_1_1_radio.html#aece598832054... is this sentence: 

"bool Flex.Smoothlake.FlexLib.Radio.SSBPeakControlEnablegetset
    Enables or disables Peak Control on TX for improved power output"

wich means it is just a clipper?

CESSB should be included in the voice processor setting DX and DX+
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I am going to play with it,,that can be very useful,,it should work as a limiter
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2018
    It looks like this is a leftover of the previous compressor that we had before the CESSB.  There are no references to it in our code, so I think it is just dead code.  We will remove it going forward to reduce confusion.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.