Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Squelch for All Modes?

Answers

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Dave, I'm with you on this. It is extremely frustrating when you want a conversation with the vendor and, it seems, everyone but the vendor chimes in. That, I believe, is a flaw in this model, but it is by design. You said something interesting though, that you 'need' to know the answer. I am curious why and perhaps the safest approach is assume it wont and be pleasantly surprised if and when it does.if it is something you need and it doesn't exist there is a question and answer there. The purpose of flexlib is to convert UI actions into the form the radio expects commands in and to reflect actions taken in the radio in the UI. If the basic functionality does not exist in the radio, it cannot be added in flexlib.
  • James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Walt, I guess I need to explain myself. Dave is my best friend. I've known him close to 40 years now. Some of my comment to him was a playful jab. (he knows VB pretty well)
    As for UI actions in Flexlib, you are right. BUT, you can combine some to get the desired action.(or close to it)
    You can monitor signal strength, have a Slice receiver MUTED until signal strength reaches a pre-set level. Even add a slider control to set the signal level that Un-mutes the Slice receiver(s).
    Crude, but it would work. All using existing Flexlib code.
    James
    WD5GWY

Oh, thanks for responding to my email. Interesting comments!
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2015
    The squelch used on powerSDR for the 1500/3000/5000 works very nicely.  For those not familiar with it, you might want to down load the program and use their simulator. I would assume SmartSDR will follow this lead.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I added this feature using the FlexLib API just as you described it. Thank you for the inspiration.

I am happy with the result. It works best with stronger signals.
  • James Whiteway
    edited September 2015
    Robert,
    Just read your post. I'm glad that worked for you. Do you have it with just the Active Slice, or for all Slices? Active Slice only is pretty easy to do. But, it's a bit more complicated with more than one Slice Receiver. That involves Threading and enumerating all available Slice receiver objects.
    Not too hard. But it makes for some fun getting the right events connected with each other! (I'm slowly learning how to do that correctly)
    James
    WD5GWY
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    It is a bit tricky. The secret is when the slice is created, I create a separate SMeterDataReady event for each slice.I use the squelch on/off setting in the radio, but disable the behavior if the radio is in FM mode.

void radio_SliceAdded(Flex.Smoothlake.FlexLib.Slice slice)        {
                setSliceInfo(slice);
                slice.PropertyChanged += Slice_PropertyChanged;

showActive();

switch(slice.Index)
                {
                    case 0:
                        slice.SMeterDataReady += Slice1_SMeterDataReady;
                        SetCheckbox(slice.SquelchOn, checkBox1);
                        break;
                    case 1:
                        slice.SMeterDataReady += Slice2_SMeterDataReady;
                        SetCheckbox(slice.SquelchOn, checkBox2);
                        break;
                    case 2:
                        slice.SMeterDataReady += Slice3_SMeterDataReady;
                        SetCheckbox(slice.SquelchOn, checkBox3);
                        break;
    etc...
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Count me in on the all-mode squelch feature.  I didn't realize how much I missed it until I realized I didn't have it.  Variable NR and NB would be nice too.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Have a look at the the level meter mute ( SQ) function in FRStacks.. Works on SSB,  AM FDV..
    ( not DIgital/CW)

AL, K0VM
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018

Has it become acceptable to have to open multiple programs to get just basic functions???

For me its NOT!

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    K0VM - I have FRStacks running, and Level Meter Mute (SQ) function is checked.  Where do I find the squelch slider?

Butch, KF4HR
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Mine is on the far right of the window and appears as a vertical slider control - mine shows red were the noise level is - when slider is above that red, then the speaker audio is muted (not the master audio, the slice audio)

You do need to have the window with enough vertical space to show the slider - if I adjust the window so only the active slice appears, the squelch bar will not appear - need to move that program window down a bit.  Hope this helps.

Cheers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Walt.  Evidently FRStack is seeing my Flex because I see 5 active slices along the top of the screen, and when I click on MRU bands it shows the band and frequencies, and I see five vertical sliders on the right side of the screen which are all gray (no color) and they slide up and down ok but they have no affect on the volume at all.  Evidently I must have something set wrong somewhere.   So close... but not there yet! :^)

KF4HR
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I rebooted the PC and the squelch sliders work now.  Thanks again.

KF4HR
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Has it become acceptable ? The real question to ask is has any SDR software on any radio yet been written that includes all the "BASIC" features you demand. Of course, you would first need to enumerate your list of all the Basic features. Much to your surprise you may find that every person has their own list of basic features. For example, my list includes WAN and spots in the GUI as a basic feature I am sure you would be not surprised to find that no software package exists with all the basic features that everyone desires On the other hand Flex has published an API that enables you to add any feature you want from your list of basic features to your radio. So if you are impatient when while Flex works down its list of desired features to add to SSDR, you could always "roll your own"
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I would certainly like to see API capability on the Maestro so we could Roll-You r-Own integrated logger, GUI spots, etc!!!!
  • Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015

I disagree, Squelch is on EVERY radio I look at, were not talking what only I want,  sure I have some personal likes and dislikes.... this is about a standard feature that even a $30 cb radio has and its easy to implement, FR Stacks has it, and yet we have 3 kinds of noise filters...... hey that's great but no squelch,  geesh.

As for my preferences:

Memory should not be in a menu item as a sub menu, it should be a choice same as settings profile and help are.....Profile could be under settings.

Also when you select a memory it should goto it then close the window or at least have that as an option.

Many other request are very valid to me and I was very happy with 1500 PSDR, I wonder when squelch was added to it, anyone know????

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thanks to the many whiners in the audience, Flex no longer publishes a Road map of future software developments... So the best anyone can say is that all mode squelch will be added when it is done...whenever that may be....

Flex tends to prioritize feature requests by the number of Likes (rather than whines a feature request gets..)  

For me, for example, I have never used Squelch on HF in all the 57+ years I have been a ham...for digital modes and RTTY I just mute the sound and look at the waterfall....  so clearly Squelch is an very low priority item for me...as I do not even consider it a basic feature....

Since this idea only has 13 likes, I suspect that most people do not consider it to be a high priority 

• Dave Dave
    Dave Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    and that's why no other radio has a squelch.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    I would not know.... Although I have owned many radios and currently use K3's and IC-7800 in addition to my Flex at the contest station, neither I nor any of my contest buddies have never used  squelch.  to the best of my knowledge none of us have ever used it for DXing either...So I do not off the top of my head even know which button it was if it exists at all...

I am sure there must probably be a use case for squelch but clearly with only 13 likes its just not that important to most people.

Further as many people have already indicated, Squelch already exists in FRStack for anyone who really needs it ....Probably why Squelch has so few likes...

So it really comes down to the fact that you wish Flex to drop all the higher priority feature development to concentrate on duplicating a low priority feature that already exists because you do not feel it is convenient for you to use the secondary program that has it...
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The api Flex has published does not allow you to roll your own functionality into the radio. That level of programming is quite opaque to users. The api that does exist if for people to roll their own UI to existing functionality that already exists inside the radio. The vehicle to accomplish that are a predefined set of text command understood within the radio that can be invoked outbound of the radio itself, based of the user pushing a button or sliding a control or pinching the screen. Users cannot add functionality to the radio beyond that functionality FRS provided in a given release. Similarly users cannot add functionality to their k3 or ic7800 or ts-990 either.

While, yes there is a vehicle for users to suggest ideas for future enhancements it is not clear to me how actively FRS is pulling from that list for any given release. They do, however, have their own internal list of ideas they stopped sharing with the user base for the very reasons you articulated.

It's not clear to me either what percentage of the user base has held their breath waiting on all mode squelch. My assessment, at this point, is if a user or prospect wants a feature not in a given radio but is in another they should get the radio that incorporates the feature(s) they want. I'd give that same advice to an owner or prospective owner of a car or boat or home.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It is clear for a couple people here the all mode squelch is a deal breaker and they are very unhappy. This has been noted for months now and I'm sure Flex is aware of it. I get the feeling if and when we get the feature, witch we already have as many have said, it would be something eles.
    I would be willing to bet these guys complaining and saying harsh things would never get ride of their Flexes simply because of the squelch.
    For me, I have the Flex 3000 here as well and I see the squelch button but have never used it. I just have not the need for it.
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I think though Bill, we all, or most of us, each have our own "pony" we'd like Flex to incorporate. I used the term pony previously to mean that 'gift' we have our individual hearts set on. Those of us who have or had little daughters know what I mean. I am not convinced that is a rational adult expectation. As I said previously, I can't enumerate any previously articulated wish list items in the radio now. That doesn't mean it won't happen just may not have yet.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It quite often bugs me how some people really pine for something, like squelch, are treated by others who say they don't need it and done use it if they had it.

If some people want it, they want it. We all operate our radios differently and I would say that we could all learn something from others about how they operate theirs.
  • Joe - KC2TN
    Joe - KC2TN Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I used Squelch often enough on my 5000 (and it was an existing embedded feature) that I expected it to be included in SSDR. Oftem while sitting in the shack doing other work and waiting for a net to start or listening to a local repeater or waiting for a sched to come up I would utilize the squelch. Do I use it every day? No! Could is use FRS stack? yes! But it's like a Merida of other features you only use once in a while, but when you need it, you WANT IT!
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes I am one of the ones that never use it, but it could be useful for others. I think what bothers me is the tone used by some when things don't happen as fast as they like. Comparing the Flex to a $30.00 radio and all cheap radios have them, and it would be easy to do? when have they done code for SSDR lately? Really? I'm sure Flex knows some want it, just go with the flow....
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Like Bill I too react to the tone of the request rather than its content. Like I said, while I do not use squelch there is probably a use case for it. That is important to some people. It may even be a deal killer, however if they bought a 6000 knowing it did not have all mode squelch then it likely was not such a killer as they make it out to be. Sort of like those people who buy houses next to airports and then complain about the noise. However I also gauge the priority of a request by the number of Likes it has.
  • Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I think Flex does pay attention to the 'Likes'.

There was a marshmallow-throwing session(s) about RTTY filters, and after the people who were interested in having one voted a Like - Flex came along with a very nice RTTY Rx filter. (still waiting for FSK, but hey - I can wait)

Hams can see that baby steps are used to measure programming - just look at all the versions of other popular software, some come out every few months, some every few days.

So there is hope for this type of product design business model, and for those who want squelch, Vote up a LIKE.   Want something else - Post it and ask for Likes.

Oh dear - way too early for a pint . . . time to throw the coffee **** in the fire to boil . . .

Cheers
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Oh dear - way too early for a pint

It is never too early for a pint, <ggg>.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I know this is an old topic but I just thought I would let folks know that there is now a better work around.

Mark/AA3RK produces a piece of software called FRStack.  It is a great utility that gives you a lot of control over slices, memories, and a bunch of other features.  It even gives you the ability to swap slices.  A while back Mark added what he calls a "poor man's squelch".  It can be found on the "Radios" tab with the title "Meter Level Mute".  Originally it only worked on SSB but recently Mark has enabled it for all modes.

This isn't a perfect solution but it actually works pretty good.    I can now have 8 slices open - a couple on digital, a couple on SSB net frequencies and one on a CW frequency.   There is perfect silence until the squelch is broken.  NICE!!!!!

Another great feature FRStack gives us is the ability to scan frequencies in memory banks.  You can configure a slice to scan several frequencies.  When a signal breaks the squelch level, it will stop and then carry on when the squelch closes.  I love this feature for 2 meters.  I can scan 2m SSB or a few repeater frequencies.   I also use it for 6 meters while waiting for band openings.  I have it scanning the most popular SSB frequencies at the lower end of 6m.  I can be on 20m working someone or listening to a net and when the squelch breaks on one of the other frequencies I now have the volume set high enough on that slice to clearly hear it.

I patiently waiting for Flex to implement a true multi-mode squelch feature but until that happens, FRStack seems to be a great work around.

• Kevin N9JKP
    Kevin N9JKP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    How do we get this to rise to the top?  It seems desired features are not systematically surveyed.  It all seems to hap hazard to rise to the level of user input or marketing research.
    Perhaps there is a survey or polling section here and I haven't found it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.