Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Spot screen Maestro

13»

Comments

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Well ... It took more than two months for my replacement battery to wend its weary way from China but I fitted it yesterday (the old one felt like an infected paper bag) and (as far as I can tell) everything is now OK and my display looks normal.

Not a five minute job dismantling the Maestro and then the tablet itself but much more cost effective than sending the box in for repair!

Thanks to all who responded and offered advice.  What I was unable to find (probably my lack of search skills) was a procedure to dismantle the Maestro.  Anyine know of one?

David G4NRT/Z21NRT
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Supplementary question ... What is FlexRadio's recommendation about the Maestro and power?  I had been leaving mine connected to the mains power supply 24/7 because it sits on my operating desk and doesn't go anywhere.  

I have disconnected the internal battery but should I pull the power plug out of the back between operating sessions?

Recommendations please.

David G4NRT/Z21NRT
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    it is not recommended to leave the power on permanently the tablet inside it is always in charge which overcharges the battery and makes it swell.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Thanks Jean. A sticky label to remind me to pull the cable is in order I think. Does this also apply to the Mk2 Maestro?
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Connect the Maestro  to your station power supply at 13.9v. When you use the radio the Maestro charges. Ideally recharge it for a few hours a month if you don't use it (especially version A)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2020
    For the Maestro "A" (power button on the top), you should connect it to a 13.8 VDC power source once every 4-6 weeks for about 24 hours.  This is not needed for the MAestro "B" (power button on the side).
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For Maestro "B" can we leave the 13.8 VDC connected 24/7 or is the a problem?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2020
    In general, the answer is yes, it is OK.
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    But inside it’s Dell tablet, Tim in the future do think install nextion screen?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2020
    We evaluate a lot of new emerging technologies for future products, so it may be possible.
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Decided to change my Maestro tonight after having the screen spots above for about 4 years.

A new battery is ~4mm thick, my battery was swollen to ~18mm

See the photos here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMka2CQ

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have the version A, the first delivered in Canada. I have had it connected 24/7 to power and use it roughly 8 to 9 hours daily. Knock on wood no issues. Perhaps I'd better open it up to look for any signs of the battery on the tablet swelling.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have two "A" models I have left on 24/7 for the last year. Neither has experienced the swelling issue. However, I am now pulling the power when not in use with a note to do a 7 day charge every month.

Tim VE6SH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.