Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Spot screen Maestro

Comments

• Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019

It's one too many.  The screen burned in 2 places very visible. If the Maestro's battery is not discharged regularly, it becomes overloaded if not disconnected from the charging.

A check of the battery condition is to be done.

My Maestro is from the first generation.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Jean, my comment was in regard to someone being concered that they should start doing something differently. My point was,, that it is very uncommon and yours is the only one I know of with that problem.
    Yes, any problem is one too many,,but in perspective...
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    On Aliexpress B080EAN01.1 LCD display + TOM80H12 V1.0

• Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    make sure your touch cable version. One touch cable version is T01D002TOM80H12 V1.0 The other version is T01d001 5468W
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Looks like my Maestro has similar spots. It’s a first gen, been plugged in and on 24/7 - 365 for the last ~3 years. imageimage
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    One of mine is on its way to Flex to sort out the same issue.

I have 3 Maestros of the same age (very early) and 2 of them have the spots now.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Given the pictures that Jean posted of the swollen battery I would be very reluctant to use it
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Interesting. You need to keep the internal battery charged but how do you know when it's overcharged? According to what NN4ZZ posted overcharging is the cause of swollen batteries.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Is Al saying the internal battery is the issue or the larger Li-ion batteries used in the battery compartment? 

Tim VE6SH
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    If it's generating enough heat to leave burn marks on the screen then common sense would say not to put your face near it.

I would think it's not a good idea to even turn it on or leave it charging until it's fixed.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Hi Tim, When I had a problem with my Samsung phone battery, the tech at “Batteries Plus” said they see the swollen Li-on batteries frequently on phones, laptops and other small devices. He said leaving it plugged in continuously was the most common cause. And he noted that they can overheat and cause damage to the device, screen, etc. Even catch fire in rare cases. On a related note, he said devices that use larger Li-on batteries (drills, saws, etc) and use detachable batteries often have a smart charger system . These have a more sophisticated battery management system that monitors the charge state and shuts down when they are fully charged. The article I posted above basically confirms what I was told by the tech. I don’t have any particular knowledge about the Maestro batteries and charging system. The Batteries Plus tech suggested to disconnect my phone charger when I see the phone shows 100%. So while I do unplug it occasionally, it is not convenient or something I do all the time. FRS may have some additional input or recommendations. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I know of four so far.
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    It's been this way for about a year. It's on 24/7
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have two Maestro's about the same age. Only one has the spots and it's been plugged in and on for about three years. The other one(without spots) has been plugged in but only used sparingly. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I don't know about leaving the Maestro plugged in 24/7
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Important Note: Maestro “A” models (those with serial numbers in the form xxxx-xxxx-0100-xxxx) must be connected to DC power for 15 to 30 minutes every 4 to 6 weeks of non-use to ensure that the internal display battery does not completely discharge. If the display battery discharges, the Maestro will not boot, and a HelpDesk ticket will have to be opened to resolve the issue
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    But no information for 24/24 plugged

• Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    With my experience, the internal charging system of the Maestro is not able to recharge the battery if it is completely discharged.

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    First, thanks Jean for pointing this out and being the Vanguard as to the fix.

I observed these marks on the Maestro A here but did not recognize the problem. 
    Popped the case on the Maestro, pulled the tablet and removed the battery. It had a bad gas of excess gas. This was relieved and the battery replaced. A new one is on order.

The 'burrn marks' were simply pressure on the liquid in the LCD.  Once the pressure was relieved, the LCD panel looks fine. 

The charging circuit is inside the Dell tablet so the origin of the problem is within, either the charger or the battery chemistry.  A Pixel 3 had the same problem and I repaired it this week (more challenging).

Thank you for the information....

Regards,

k3Tim
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    @k3tim - would you have links for the correct internal battery to share? A bit of how-to guidance would also help. Thanks and 73 Steve K9ZW Blog: http://K9ZW.wordpress.com
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Sorry for the delayed response...  The link Jean provided is similar to one ordered and it also ships from HK (awaiting for two to arrive).  Video to replace the battery:
    https://youtu.be/N6AMRy4di0s?t=20

The tablet is help in place with rubber-like bumpers and can be removed using care. Once the bat is replaced the case snaps together and appeared as good as new. The marks on bottom of screen are gone. 
    Placing the tablet back in place, one has to be sure the USB cable is connected ahead of time.  A thin screwdriver on the bumpers positions them to pull the tablet in place rather then pushing it away from the front of the case. As one pushes the tablet in place these bumpers grab hold of the tablet.  

_..--
    Tim
  • kz1w
    kz1w Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I've taken my Maestro apart after second Dell tablet failure, batteries both times.  The battery is right behind the lower part of the screen.  It failed (expanded, vomited, blew up, whatever,..) and distorts the screen.  In my case it destroyed other parts (SSD?) as it won't boot.
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    If you change the battery it is important to charge the tablet with an external charger before installing it.

If the tablet does not seem to start, it may be in DFU mode. There are some combinations to do with the buttons to do at startup to get out.

sorry i'm frech .. google translate ....
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Thanks to VA2JN & K3TIM, I fixed my other Maestro with the "burn spots" problem by replacing the tablet battery with a new one I obtained from a Newegg search for "3.7V 18WH Genuine Original 74XCR Battery Dell Venue 8 Pro (5830) Tablet 074XCR"

Now, good as new.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I too am suffering from discolouration / burn marks on the screen of my Maestro - which I had been leaving connected to power 24/7 and with a battery in the battery compartment.  The marks appear to be mainly along the bottom edge of the screen.

I have removed the battery but I think I now need to replace either the whole Dell tablet or the battery and/or the display.

My eyes are not as good as they used to be so I am looking for advice on the simplest, easiest and, to an extent, cheapest solution.  

I am in the UK so returning the unit to Flex for repair is not really an option.
    I would be very grateful for assistance and advice on how best to solve my problem.

Thanks and very 73, 

David G4NRT / Z21NRT
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Normally only battery replacement is required. it seems that it is not a burn but a point of support for the swelling of the battery.

If you need to replace the screen, a cell phone repair center could do the job for you.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thanks Jean. I’ve ordered a battery from eBay. Hopefully it’s all I need and I’ve watched a YouTube video on replacement so I can give it a go!!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.