Spontaneous restarts with Maestro and 6600

• Problem
  • Updated 4 months ago
I've had the 6600 now for a couple of weeks and have been using Smart SDR while the Maestro was out getting its battery recharged due to being off power for a while. Never had a problem with the 6600 turning off on its own. I did WPX RTTY and ARRL CW and you turn the rig on connect with Smart SDR and you are done.

The Maestro came back today. Plugged the power in, the Maestro and the radio both did a software update. I have experienced two spontaneous restarts where the 6600 shuts off or something. The power light starts blinking and the radio goes off to La-La land. I am using 2.1.32. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm not sure what the glitch is at this point but having the radio blink off periodically is not a happy thing.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The Maestro just had an error message and shut down and I notice an annoying "pop" through the speaker on restart. No of this happened when the Maestro was paired with the 6500 with the last version of the 1.0 software.
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
I also have randomly noticed the flashing white line on the far right of the 6400M screen.  Anyone else notice this?  
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9046 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
Yes, that is a known issue (#5491)
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Thanks Tim, glad Flex is already aware.  73s
Photo of Jim K4JAF

Jim K4JAF

• 307 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
No restarts here at all but do notice the random flashing white line on the upper part of the right side of the screen.  Have others complained of this? 
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9046 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
Yes, defect #5491
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2354 Posts
  • 535 Reply Likes
It is good you are reporting this so they can look into it.
Photo of Reggie-k6xr

Reggie-k6xr

• 413 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
I have, I think reported a similar thing a couple days ago. I walked into shack and 6400M start button was blinking off and on and the fan was running at a high speed and loud. When I sat down to check it out it suddenly stopped and rebooted itself. never has happened again! Tim says they are looking into it. Not sure if this is what you saw or not
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
Mike, when the power button is flashing after the radio crash, what is the color of the power LED and is it flashing a pattern, like 2 or 3 "dits"?  The new radios have "blink codes" to identify the nature of the failure.  Having the blink code will help determine what is happening to your radio.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You would ask me....lol yes it was a rapid blink not like a normal power up when so dits would be appropriate description. The LED I believe was green. The second time it happened I was not in the room. Both units were on but not connected when I returned to the room. I will note that I have had both the radio and Maestro on overnight and there was not any evidence of a shut down. I am leaving them on today to see if I can get a repeat of what happened.

In a side observation. I brought up Dxlab and that program initially did not register the A vfo. It did see B which was active at the time. When I shut off B Commander still did not see the A vfo. when I turned B back on A began to be seen. Shut B off and now the A vfo works. That is not a Flex problem but a Dxlab deal I am sure. I'm adding it here in  case someone else has seen that anomaly and knows what I need to set differently in Commander.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
Mike - Since you are not getting any red blink codes, I suspect that what you are experiencing is a behavior that we are following as defect #5942 where the radio crashes and a power cycle brings it back to life.  It is a random behavior.  I updated issue #5942 with your problem description.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I won't say there wasn't red/green alternate blinking but pushing the power and restarting did clear whatever problem there was and then something happened a second time as I saw the Maestro was disconnected again. There was no blinking on the second occurrence. The radio was on, the Maestro was on but the two were not connected. So far no problems today. I am going to shut down each unit and restart and see if the fault occurs.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
UPDATE: Did a restart of both the Maestro and 6600 this morning. Six hours later no problems or restarts.
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 53 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Update the radio and Maestro have been on for over 12 hours after a restart and there has been no restart or anything "blinky"
Photo of Cal Spreitzer

Cal Spreitzer

• 339 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Just received my 6600 and had a sudden restart after only 3 hours of use!  The power LED was flashing red when connection was lost.  Had two panadapters open at the time (both on 160M) , Windows 10 (SSDR 2.1.32) , no Maestro,  just computer inside my network.   I was across the room at the time and just heard Windows 10 chime.  Didn't get to see it quick enough to determine the blink sequence but power button was flashing red then rebooted on its own , went back to flashing green then solid green again.  I was then able to reconnect.  I did NOT notice any excessive fan noises at the time.

Cal/N3CAL 
(Edited)