Spectral capture unit

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
With the 6700, can one control which SCU is connected to a panadapter, or am I missing the concepts?
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 512 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 682 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes
Wouldn't antenna A/B do this?

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
No, it will not.
Photo of K2CM

K2CM

• 265 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Why does it matter? The two SCUs are identical.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
It really doesn't matter.  The SCUs are identical.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Mark - yes, indirectly.

On a 6700 SCU-0 is connected to RX-A IN and SCU-1 is connected to RX-B IN.  If you want to "force a particular SCU to a particular panadapter(s), then you can put a BNC coax jumper on the RX-A loop (in/out).  Then once you have opened a panadapter and selected the ANT-x of your choice, enabled the RX-A loop and the will inform the software to establish an RF signal path from ANT-x through RX-A loop to SCU-0.

SmartSDR has logic to establish the RF signal path based on available resources, so forcing a particular SCU to be used is usually not necessary. 
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 512 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
I need to clarify my question. How does the software assign SCU's and Panadapters? If I open two Panadapters, is one one SCU A and the other on SCU B? If I open 4 Panadapters, how are they as sinned to SCU? Does it make any difference having two Panadapters assigned to the same SCU versus different SCU? I understand one difference would be the antenna configuration.
Photo of Mark Erbaugh

Mark Erbaugh

• 512 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
Further question. If I'm monitoring two bands, say 20 and 40 using the same SCU, are the band specific BPF's engaged? Are they engaged if I'm using two SCU's?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
The resource assignment algorithm can be a bit complex, but in essence an SCU is associated with an antenna port.  If all panadapters are configured to use the same antenna port, they are all on the same SCU.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 759 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
This gets further confusing when trying to open a panadapter on 2 meters when there is already one open on 40 meters.  Its extremely difficult to get the 2nd SCU assigned to an antenna port (XVTR) without all of the panadapters following to XVTR.  

I sure hope this is fixed in the next release of software.