Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE Expert 1.3K, DDUTIL, Flex 6500 functionality question

13»

Answers

• John AD6NR
    John AD6NR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Thanks Lawrence:  I have now have that set up for all the bands I use.  It is sweet!  However, when I looked at pages 39 and 40  in the 1.3 manual I got confused and downloaded KTerm_1.3_232. from the SPE site. That is a terminal program.  I got it running and connected to my amp but was not able to set the power levels as you described.   (Pilot error again) I did not need that terminal program!  When I set the 1.3 to operate and touched the left/right (up/down) keys on the amp it showed the PC:****) as shown in the SPE manual.    I used the tune function on the 6300 to determine how much drive I needed for each power level on each band I use and then used the left/right keys to set the numerical value.  (the **** is just the power input from the 6300 because the out put is 1 to 100w)  I works like a champ!.   I now have it such that I select the band I want on the 6300, the power level I want (Low, Mid, Max) on the amp and the amp tells the 6300 where to set the power-out slider.   BTW - all I used to interface the 6300 to the 1.3FA were Dan's cables and a Keyspan 19H serial to USB converter for the interface to the computer.  No other SW needed (so far) Almost plug and play!  

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Sal,

Sorry to bring up this old  topic but you said that you did not need passive listener? I cannot get the amp to switch bands without the CAT cable unless I use the frequency counter which is not the preferred method. I looked a few times at this thread but maybe I'm missing something.

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Maybe something is different from the 1k to the 1.3k. I will be in Madrid in a month and I will check again with the 1.3k and report back, but the settings I posted above work with the 1k. Maybe try serial to USB from 1.3k to pc to see if that way it works instead of the USB from 1.3k. It shouldn't be different though ....
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I don't know if it's different but I do know that there is no CAT control via the USB port. This is a limitation of the amp. CAT is only on the DB15 CAT ports. Not sure if it's unique to the 1.3K-FA or is the same on all SPE Expert amps. If you are able to get the amp to switch bands when you change the TX slice without the dedicated DB15 CAT cable then there is something different. Be sure though that you're not switching bands via the frequency counter (auto sense) which is the default method. That method is not preferred due to the potential for hot switching relays. 
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I've had my 1.3K-FA for some time now (and its size, weight and efficiency, still makes me think that is more of a magic trick than just some old linear amplifier).

The only way I can get the band information is via the DB15 CAT port, using DDUtil. I have always assumed that all this talk about "doing without" was a kludge that used the 1.3K-FA's internal frequency counter, which I would not want to rely on either.

Occasionally DDUtil, my PC, and my 1.3K-FA stop syncing up, but like the IT Crowd, I just "turn it off and on again" and back it comes.

I know of no other option...

Vy 73,
    Roy AC2GS
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    As a followup and expansion on this - 

I've set up my 6700 with SO2R on the SPE Expert. You need two CAT cables, two relay cables or that stereo RCA cable that comes with the amp and a USB cable for DDUtil (which also comes with the amp). 

For SO2R contesting I am not going to use DDUtil for CAT control. Instead I am going to use SmartSDR CAT. The reason for this is that I want slice A to one antenna port and slice B to another. With one CAT cable and DDUtil you're limited to one antenna input port which won't work for SO2R. 

You'll also need two TX profiles for ant1 and ant2 and assign a different TX line to each (which is connected to the input relays of the expert). 

I tested it last night and it seems to work pretty well. 

The only clunky part of it is that for normal non-contest use I have to delete my port definitions and go to DDUtil OR use a separate COM port and manually disconnect/reconnect a CAT cable. I wish there was an easier way such as assigning a profile in SmartSDR CAT. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    The only clunky part of it is that for normal non-contest use I have to delete my port definitions and go to DDUtil OR use a separate COM port and manually disconnect/reconnect a CAT cable.

In the not too distant future, this may not be an issue.  In preparation, you should have a few FTDI USB to Com port dongles at your disposal.  And maybe a USB hub too.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I actually have 6 COM ports via two PCIe cards. =)

So yes, what I do is keep a dedicated port for DDUtil and the other two ports for contesting/SO2R. 
  • Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Tim, I believe that news has already leaked. Is there a date for a date on when that functionality will be announced / available?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Oh yes, THAT leak.. A little birdie told me about that. Exciting! 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    No dates.  Just stay tuned...
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Startech makes some good adapters. I have a pcie serial port card from them. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Mike - Yes.  Although you may need a null modem cable depending on what device you are connecting it to.
  • N3NER
    N3NER Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm sure the new Flex amp is going to be a great amp but, keep in mind you are looking at close to a $7,000 nut where as the SPE 1.3k is half that cost. 
  • Duane_AC5AA
    Duane_AC5AA Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Only if you order the 1.3K without the autotuner. With the tuner, it's ballpark $5K.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    My SPE 1.3k cost $4999 with the ATU. Shipping was free.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Also Im sure the Flex amp is on par with the SPE 2k which cost $7K.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    It's better. The 2K is old technology using non-rugged mosfets, the PG XL uses two LDMOSFETs which are more rugged and high gain.
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    $4599 at Houston hamfest yesterday   In stock
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    SPE just announced a 1.5k with the new LDMOSFETs.
    The latest 1.3k are being built with the new LDMOSFETs as well. *Not 100% sure about this, I heard it through the grapevine.

@Ria, I don't agree with the "better" adjective. It will only be comparable when you add a tuner and an antenna genius. Once we get pre distortion out of the flex we could do the mod with the attenuator to get similar IMD performance. 

Then someone with the proper equipment could run a test.

Performance, weight and size of the 1.3k makes it a very hard amp to beat.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.