Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE EXPER 1.3K-FA and direct connection to Flex 6500

iz7auh
iz7auh Member ✭✭
Hello, I read some post about a 2k-Fra and flex series 6000 but I don't understand a correct pin on accessory port on my flex 6500, to DB-15 of new Expert 1.3k-fa 9,1,4 pins, but on accessory port I don't understand on some post I read pin 2,3,5 but on PDFs sheet I read pin2 and pin 3 are audio line IN/OUT no a rs232 signal please help me! Many thanks frank

Answers

• K9APW - Dick - Verona, WI
    edited June 2017
    If you get an answer, please forward it on to me, ****, K9APW (k9apw@Yahoo.com) -- I have a 2k-FA SPE Expert Amp & A Flex 6700 and after several months trying to mate the two units together, I still, after many suggestions, cannot make the amp work --- and I have never gotten a clear answer from anyone regarding the cable you speak of AND WHERE IT IS TO BE CONNECTED ON EACH END???  Good luck??  Thanks -- K9APW
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Currently the Flex radios do not send BAND DATA from any port. Therefore you cannot connect the Radio to Expert amp and expect to get band changes automatically.

However, there is an app, DDUtil which you can configure to control the SPE amps. It will also allow you to define specific output power on the Flex radio per band instead of using ALC.

If you connect the SPE Amp to the computer and then select RS232 as the CAT in the SPE amp then DDUtil with read the state and band info from the Flex radio and change band in the amp.

I hope this clarifies things.

Here is DDUtil http://k5fr.com/binary/DDUtil32100_Setup.zip

Also, go through the online manual, makes setup really easy. Here it is the AutoDrive section http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=AutoDrive
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Here is a

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF HOW TO SET UP THE EXPERT AMPS WITH FLEX

in my Public Dropbox

https://db.tt/0LuOmYtr

• Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I am pretty certain that the reference you are quoting has to do with DDUTIL AUX program which allows amp control for many models with the 6K series..  There is no way to hook to the AUX output on the 6K series at this time..  I use DDUTil control my Acom 2000.  Works great with power level control as well as auto band changes..  Check DDUtil out.  73s Jim K4JAF
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015

On March 3, 2015, I emailed you detailed instructions on how to do this.  You responded with a thank you but I never heard from you again..  So I could have only assumed that you read and understood the instructions.. But from you latest comments clearly you did not understand what you read.

Here is a Link to the Most Current Complete Set of Instructions. 

https://db.tt/0LuOmYtr

They are very clear and should be easy to understand.

it is not rocket science..

its just connecting 2 cables (a Serial Cable which you need to make and a USB) between your computer and the EXPERT AMP....

Then follow the instructions for DDUTIL to have it act as the Traffic Cop to send band data to the AMP...

If you still have problems please feel free to contact me.. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    @Frank  You do NOT connect the Expert AMP to the Radio.. 

You connect the Amp to your computer with 2 cables (a Serial Cable which you need to make and a USB) between your computer and the EXPERT AMP....

You then need to run DDUTIL to be the Traffic Cop... It sends band data to your AMP.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Howard,

I don't need to **** cable anymore. I use the RS232 to connect AMP to PC and just having DDUtil running sends the band information to the AMP from the PC without plugging the Passive Listening COM-USB cable. Just unplug the Passive Listening COM from the PC and change bands on the Flex and the AMP follows.
  • Jim K4JAF
    Jim K4JAF Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018

Sound like the old saying: You can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink......

Jim K4JAF

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Well, it can be daunting to figure out COM ports and USB ports and such if you are not familiar with it. Let's be patient. What might seem easy to me might be very obscure to others.

Once you are done, you should only have 1 RCA cable running from the Expert AMP to the TX RCA in the Flex radio. Everything else goes from the Expert amp to your computer.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2015
    But don't you still need a USB cable if you want to run the Term_2k_USB control program from SPE?
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Yes, you need to COM port connected from the SPE Amp to the PC.

It might be something that the newer version of DDUtil do but is not documented. I am running the COM-to-USB cable from the AMP to the PC and I disconnected the **** COM port because I needed the USB port for a thumb drive and I forgot to connected when I started using the radio.

Now, when I change bands on the flex the amp follows and the **** port is not even enabled. 

There are 2 things that are needed. You need to have DDUtil running and connected to the Flex and I had to select RS232 as the CAT protocol in the SPE Amp.
  • Joe
    Joe Member
    edited January 2017
    You shouldn't have to do any of this work around the Flex 6xxx should supply band data in a usable format instead of yet another proprietary interface.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2015
    @Joe

Flex supplies band data at the control computer.. the issue is that every AMP manufacturer uses an entirely different protocol to control their AMP
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017

INFO:  This was taken direct off the DDUtil Yahoo Group.  Hope this helps.

Support for the SPE 1.3/2k amps is in the works and should be ready in the next month or so. 73, Steve K5FR From: DDUtil@yahoogroups.comk5fr2000 4 days ago

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    The Expert AMP issue is NOT Flex's problem but rather the overly complex interface on the Expert Amps and the virtual lack of documentation from SPE as to their API until about 2 months ago when I finally publicly shamed SPE into producing at least a description of their protocol. 

I might note that I was thoroughly roasted and flamed on the Expert Amp reflector by the Fanboys for daring to even ask for a basic description of the API and suggesting that SPE was not ready for prime time until they fixed their lack of proper band data control logic documentation.  

Steve K5FR is working on a DDUTIL Software Interface for the 1.3K and 2K so you can control it from your computer rather than their very awkward Front Panel Emulation Program on your computer or its front panel.

Once Steve is done, the SPE amps with be ready for Prime Time...

BUT you still likely will need 2 cables (serial and USB) from your computer to the SPE Expert Amps - that is an issue with the Expert Amp Protocols NOT FLEX. 
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

If you don't want to make your own cables they can be purchased from Expert amps USA now.

"Don’t forget – we can make the cable for your radio for only $25 plus shipping!"

http://www.expertampsusa.com/

• Mike Sonn KF9AF
    Mike Sonn KF9AF Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thought I'd jump in here with the current place to get cables for linking your Expert amp and the Flex 6xxx radios.  Haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but it is a very nice looking cable, clearly marked as to where to each end goes, and includes an ALC connection.
    http://www.expertlinears.com/

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.