Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE AMPS USA

Larry _ NY8T
Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in New Ideas

I read in another forum that SPE AMPS USA is no longer in business (not answering phones or taking orders) but there is an excellent alternative for sales and repairs for those of us that own or want to own Expert AMPS.

http://www.expertlinears.com/index.html

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Expert Amps USA has been in serious trouble since its owner became very ill and died. It was taken up by his two daughters, who I do not believe were Hams and they seemed to have little actual knowledge about the product that they were distributing.

Their PR was that they were carrying on this enterprise as a legacy for one of the deceased owner's teenaged grandsons, who probably wasn't a Ham either?

The guy that was handling their in-warranty repairs went out on his own as a new USA distributor of SPE products, offering a lower price point. He is a very knowledgeable guy and answers emails quickly with actual facts.

I have an order with Bob for a 1.3K-FA for the end of this month (hopefully), and before I took in the entirety of the above message I thought something had happened to SPE or or Expert Linears America LLC.

I think Expert USA folding was inevitable (but I have no proof that it has, personally). I am glad that we have Expert Linears America LLC.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for posting this.  I wanted to by a 1K SPE and emailed/called but only on the call did I get a voice mail about how they are no longer taking orders.

I wasn't sure where to turn and ended up buying a used 1K that is working fine but you know how it goes with used gear... Always nice to know where to get it repaired.
  • Bill N5TU
    Bill N5TU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    I found Bob to be a great person:  knowledgeable and helpful.  His estimate on delivery was right on, and his communications on the phone and via email were excellent.  Now to finish installing the 240-volt line so I can begin using the 2K I bought.  :-)
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Bob is just the best. They still sell out of the Houston area and do repair work there too. Dan makes all of the cables and is very knowledgable also. Just got informed that my 2K-FA will be in this month. Don't hesitate to do business with them. Also as far as buying your amp, no money down till you get your amp
  • Tim Hill - KI6LSB
    edited January 2019
    Hi All, 
    Just received my Expert 2K-FA, I bought it from Bob and he let me know when I would receive the Amp through out the whole process, also Bob gave me an extra 2 year warranty, so I have a 4 year warranty. Bob is the best, I would buy again!

http://www.expertlinears.com/

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Is the warranty insured with a third party in care Bob goes bust? It can happen and if it is not insured it is not worth much.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Good question. Bob is no youngster
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    QRZ's Forums have a bunch of threads from angry and confused Hams caught in this mess with Expert Amps USA's melt down. People are yelling about payments made for phantom Linears, others are just as upset that they lost their place "on line" when the distributor cancelled all of their orders at the factory and effectively forced people waiting patiently for over 6 months to get to the back of the next queue with the remaining USA distributor.

It's a shame that there are so few Hams spending the bucks to maintain more than these "mom and pop" 1-2 guy operations, and when they "shuffle off this mortal coil" and MFJ doesn't gobble them up (and drops the quality control)...

Oh well...

I guess that's life (and death too).

You just have to remember... it's just a hobby!
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Well that is a shame to hear.  I have not checked the forums but I believe it would happen.

Yes the first thing to remember is this is a hobby.  All of these equipment manufacturers are in business for one thing only:  To make money.  As soon as the revenue stream drops the likelihood of continued support of a product is very low.

SPE is an Italian company (I think) and while the amps are amazing the prices are pretty amazing too.  I mean even used my 1K amp was a fortune to me.  I can't even imagine the 2K brand new.  Wow... that's a chunk of change and without a fantastic antenna farm I don't think I'd ever spend that money.

I can get an Alpha amp for 1/2 price that is supposed to be full legal limit, continuous key down (which the SPE amps certainly are not).  But you get what you pay for I think.  The Alpha amp is likely to be lower in quality and not perform as well plus I'm looking for mostly automated remote operation.  I think the alpha amp makes for more of a challenge.

Anyway i think we should be happy that Bob is there and doing what he does.  He already replied to an email I sent him thanking him for doing business on SPE amps.  That is a far cry above the other place that didn't even have the courtesy to answer my email.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Well, I guess you get what you pay for.

MFJ has a fugly looking solid state linear listed for $3500 (that probably rattles with loose bits if you rattle it). The SPE 1.3K-FA without an internal tuner goes for about the same price.

Why "solid state"?

It's lighter (16 lbs), it's smaller, it's more energy efficient, and it looks "cool"...

I don't have a 240V line in my shack and I am hoping that I can squeeze more watts out of an SPE 1.3K-FA than I could with any tube behemoth.

Oh, and I'm not the nostalgic type, either...

Whatever makes you happy and doesn't land you in the "poor house"!
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Mike tell me where you see the word hobby from the FCC:

The rules and regulations in this part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:

(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.

(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of the art.

(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Mike!?  I don't see a mike posting in this thread Burt.  If you are referring to me, my name is Mark.  My call is WS7M.

I get your rule dump and understand it and I think the majority of hams would at the need and call, dedicate our skills and equipment to the service you mention.

I know I would and I have in the past.  I have battery power and generators.  I know that in the event of a disaster my station can be on the air.  I also have a listing of the nets and know where to go to lend a hand.

How did I get to this point?  By practicing this as a "hobby".  This is NOT my full-time job.  I do not operate radios for a living, I operate them in my leisure time. Therefore it is by definition a hobby.  Definition of hobby:

"an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure."

In order to provide the service you call out in the rules above I engage in a "hobby" during my leisure time to ensure my station is functional and learn the art of on-the-air operating.

If I were to wait until the service was needed then I would not be very good at it because I would have little practice.

I personally think this is splitting hairs.  If a disaster occurs the police and federal authorities are more than welcome to use my station.  I'll provide it to them as a "service".  In the event they are short handed I'll help them out and run it for them as a "service".

In the meantime, when no disaster is present I will engage in my "hobby" to perfect my station and learn how to be an efficient and capable operator.  All of this in my leisure time.

Today for example I took a two hour lunch and restrung my end fed antenna to use better rope.  I also elevated it and re-routed the coax feed.   I took my personal leisure time in this case to try and bring my station a little closer to perfection.

What did you do over lunch?
  • [Deleted User]
    edited December 2016
    I think everybody is being too ****. Lighten up and lose the politically correct ****.
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Steven,

Point taken.  My apologies to everyone.   I've had a particularly bad few days and when Burt's comment was posted I just reacted.

Your point is valid.  Lighten up and try to enjoy.  Again my apologies to everyone.

Mark
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Mark, sorry about your name. I know what a bad day can be like, my Patriots gave me one yesterday. You had a great explanation. What did I do during lunch? I ate it, but it was the time in the day I wasn't with my classes. One of the videos I reviewed during lunch for discussion later was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-AFNzF7ww

• Anom Suparta
    Anom Suparta Member
    edited January 2016
    Can you help me find someone want to buy my SPE-EXPERTS 1.3K FA-ATU (new) only for $3000.00US (not including shipping cost), please email me at anomsuparta@ymail.com for more detail
  • Barry N1EU
    Barry N1EU Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Anom, the check is in the mail.
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited December 2016
    Good price. Nice amp
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The post looks so legit that I just gave him my bank account and pin number so he can deduct whatever amount he considers reasonable! 
    LOL

• Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    edited December 2016
    If it's to good to be true.....
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for the link Burt - lovely video. Made me feel good.

Tim
  • Dw Mahendra
    Dw Mahendra Member
    edited January 2016
    Mark,
    Can you help me for find someone how want to buy my SPE-EXPERT 1.3K FA-ATU (new condition with all orginal box), please email me at baligenre@yahoo.com for more detail, thanks
  • KC8P
    KC8P Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Agree....no way!
  • Dw Mahendra
    Dw Mahendra Member
    edited January 2016
    You can check it before pay!
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I received my SPE 1.3K on march 2017.....everything OK

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Expert Linears America LLC are the current distributors of Expert Amps, see add in latest QST page 117.  I bought my 1.3k-fa from them last year, delivered this year....

And there at Xenia this year.
  • W2NER
    W2NER Member ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I got my 1.3k two months ago, I love it and its a VERY robust amp.  Best solid state amp hands down. 
  • N0AZZ
    N0AZZ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I bought my SPE amp a few weeks ago and Bob was a pleasure to work with on my purchase also, a Great Guy plus honest and knowable of the products,
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Could not agree more.  I ordered a 2K-FA then financially was unable to purchase it so Bob kept pushing my order back until I could afford it.

When I finally could the price had gone up but Bob honored the original price!

The 2K FA is a beast. I could barely lift the thing but once installed in my shed next to my shack it just hums away.  I can key down CW 1 KW almost indefinitely so on most modes the fans barely run.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    B26-PA

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.