SPE Amp 1.3kw and Smart BETA SDR and 6700 getting along...

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
SMART SDR BETA
SPE 1.3K-FA, amplifier working so far with FLEX 6700, no need of  3rd party Utility Program as far as I can see. Cable purchased and provided by Dan Tassell KC5PCB of Expert Linears. PLUG n PLAY
73, Ed KK4x
Photo of kk4x

kk4x

• 27 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 466 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
I setup my 6500 and SPE 1K-FA this afternoon via USB using the same cable I made to use with DDUTIL and it works awesome. I set the SPE drive levels and am quite pleased with how it operates.
Photo of Larry: KE2YC

Larry: KE2YC

• 75 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hello,

Do you have a pinout on that cable or a post i can look at?

Thank you,

Larry ke2yc
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 466 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes

Make up this cable then use a ftdi serial to usb converter cable with it.

Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 610 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Larry, are you saying we can plug both USB cables from the 1.3k-FA into the Flex USB port with v1.10.8?
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2304 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
Yes. That's how I have mine setup. I have one serial adapter associated with each antenna so when that slice gets TX enabled it sends CAT data. 
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 466 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Yes, it works very well as Ria explained.
(Edited)
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 610 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
The rest of the story:  I connected and brought-up my 1.3k-FA as described by DDUtil and all worked as advertised, first time...
Photo of roger na4rr

roger na4rr

• 117 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
The only cable I use is the rca to key the amp. I set the Flex fo 9 watts max output and set the tune power to 1 watt.  9 watts gives me 1200 out of the spe 1.3.  I cant really see the advantage of having a lot a cables.

Roger
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2304 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
The CAT cable makes it so that you're ready on the new band without transmitting and having the frequency counter change the band on the amp. It helps prevent hot switching which can damage relays. 

The other advantage is automatic drive power control. IF you have the CAT on the 1.3K-FA set to "Flex" and connect a cable the amp will automatically adjust the drive power for LOW, MID and MAX settings. You can adjust this power yourself.  It's a convenient way for a power drop when needed (eg to keep the amp cool, use less power etc). Also you can use the rig 100w barefoot and as soon as you press "operate" it will lower the drive power to a safe level for the amp. 
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1773 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
I am a bit confused here, can we just use the USB from the SPE into the USB of the Flex?
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 466 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes

Use the 15 pin cat to 9 pin serial cable you most likely already made to use your spe with DDUTIL. Then connect the 9 pin serial end to a FTDI Serial to USB converter cable and plug it into the flex USB Port.

(Edited)
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1773 Posts
  • 545 Reply Likes
OK. I thought I could connect the USB directly to the Flex radio.
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2304 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
The USB on the SPE expert amps does not carry CAT data. Only the 15 pin Dsub connectors do. The USB is just for the control software.
(Edited)
Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
The drive power lowers to 20 watts when amp is switched to operate, i need to drop to 5 watts, where is this power level set, i can't adjust it manually with the mouse when amp is in operate mode.
Cheers
Paul
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2304 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
Press the arrow buttons (right side, NOT the L and C buttons) on the amp and it will raise/lower drive power. You need to do this for each band as well as for Low/Mid/Max, and yes, drive power on each band for max power is different. Do this once and the amp will retain these settings and automatically set your drive power whenever you switch bands. I also set 30m to 1w drive on all 3 power levels. This way I only get 200w out. 
(Edited)
Photo of GI4FZD

GI4FZD

• 129 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Thanks Ria, Is there a way to control the operate button on the Amp from the radio rather than from the Term 1.3KA usb  program.
Cheers
Paul
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2304 Posts
  • 938 Reply Likes
currently not possible. However, you can do it in DDUtil.