Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE 1K FA WITH New version 1.10

Barry J Cohen
Barry J Cohen Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have been using DDUTIL to communicate with the Flex 6300. Just downloaded the newest Beta versions for the SDR and the Maestro. I have a cable connected from my Eight Pak Array solutions and to the SPE amp that currently supplies Band Data for the SPE amp the Array Solutions BandMaster IV that controls the Array Solutions 8 PAK but for all this to work I need to have my computer up and running if not using the Maestro. Will this now allow me to use my Maestro without the Bandmaster and the DDUTIL running? Where to I connect the USB Port from the FLEX6300 directly to the computer? I have currently 2 serial ports on DDUTIL one for the SPE and one for the Bandmaster. I guess I still will need the Computer running but can eliminate DDUTIL?? Anyone using a similar configuration. Thanks for the Community this is great. Barry   N2BJ

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Barry,

Yes, it's possible. The USB to LPT adapter can operate in either BCD or BIT modes. BCD is your traditional band decoder which outputs BCD band data to select the bands. BIT mode will simply send individual pins high or low. 

Additionally if the bandmaster has a CAT input you can use that as well with a USB to serial converter. 

For the amp you'll need a USB to serial converter and connect the serial cable to that. If you need to control more than 2 devices you'll need to get a USB hub.

All adapters have to be genuine FTDI.

This will allow you to control your external equipment without DDUtil. 

Check page 104:

http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/smartsdr-software-users-guide-pdf/

Ria, N2RJ
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Barry, I use a similar but a bit more complex solution with the FTDI ports off the back of the Flex. I'm using two BCD cables to drive two BandMaster III's. This gives me fully automated SO2R to Antenna A and B on a 2 X 8 8 Pak. Additionally, the Bandmasters switch two Array Solutions bandpass filters on each of the 8 Pak antenna ports. If you want to eliminate the BandMasters you'll need to switch the 8 Pak using relays as the USB port will not provide sufficient current. I use this relay board for other purposes (bit switching and PTT on trasnverter) but this one would work. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M90SR3G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The advantage of this board is that is Darlington transistors as relay drivers that draw very minimal current. It would be a more complex solution for your use case. For my two legal limit amps I use a FTDI USB to serial cable to provide band data. HERE's the downside: I can't toggle the amps on/off, operate/standby, etc. When I travel I take one amp and move it back to DDUtil so that I can control those functions. I only use DDUtil when I travel now. 73, Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • Giulio
    Giulio Member
    edited December 2016
    Dear Ria... Sorry for the question but... Can i connect the spe 1k to flex 6300 from rs232 to usb usind an ftdi adapter? Tnx, Giulio

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.