Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SPE 1k-fa operation

Larry _ NY8T
Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2018 in Third-Party Software
This question is to owners of SPE Expert amplifiers, specifically the Expert 1K-FA. Are you experiencing a sort of Hum/Vibrate to Modulation while transmitting? This is coming from inside the amp cabinet, amp seems to be working perfect, nothing is picked up in my audio but I'm wondering if this is normal. It is less noticeable in half power mode. Kind of similar to vacuum tube amp tubes talking back to you when you modulate.

Answers

• Keith Richards
    edited April 2015

Hi Larry

Im using the 1KFA with my Flex 6300. I noticed the same phenomenom as you - kind of an electromagnetic hum / buzz - I put it down to the the transformer in the SPE **** up all that current at 44 volts to feed the power transistors. 

I found the bigger annoynance to be the gale force fan noise kicking in at 65C - I have now built a virtually sound proof closet in the shack - immedeately to the right of my desk , to host all the gear including the 6300 and PC . As the closet it so close I havnt needed to extend any of the usual standard leads (USB, tx key, VGA etc). All heat is **** away by a very quiet extractor fan and an inlet vent for cool air at the bottom adjacent to the linear :o)

When I key up or the fan kicks in now a enjoy virtual silence - no PC noise either which is awesome !

Keith

GW0HYU  

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thanks, I assumed it was normal and its not an issue at all as long as it is normal. I have only had this amp for 22 hours but I was up until 4am this morning running through its paces and it is working as expected. It sure is nice to be able to spin the dial or change bands and immediately start running your pie hole!
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    The sound is normal. It is what Keith described.
    I was also annoyed by the fan noise (also the case with the flex 6300) on the SPE Expert 1k so I went ahead and bought online quieter fans. Changing the front and back ones was a piece of cake. The fans use the same two prong female connector as the PC chassis fans. There are a couple of fans inside which require a bit of disassembly to get to them, so I left those there. I was able to greatly reduce the noise. You can find the fans in computer online retailers such as newegg.com

I also noticed something with the new version of DDUtil.

I do not need to use the **** COM1 trick to have the Expert follow band changes.
    I selected RS232 instead of FlexRadio for CAT in the amplifier and select "Amp Follows DDU PTT" and "DDUtil Follows Amp PTT" in the AutoDrive setup menu of DDutil.

Not sure how it happens, but it is definitely DDUtil sending the Band change info back to the SPE Expert 1k amp. Anyone else noticed this behavior?

Enjoy the amp Larry, it is a fantastic piece of equipment. 1Kw amp, 4 port antenna switch, 4 antenna auto tuner, SO2R, two transmitter switch, remote operation and digital Power and SWR meter all in one box.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.