Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sound Issue With Remote Operation on Flex6300

2»

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thanks Jim!
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020

I have a 6500 and have the same issue. It is not unique to the 6300.0

Dave, wo2x

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I should have noted - I have the 6700.  The problem appears to be in DAX and does not appear to be model specific.
  • N7AIG
    N7AIG Member
    edited March 2015

Wow! Thanks for pointing this one out!

I suspect that since Microsoft controls Skype they have planted all kinds of stuff for backdoor adware insertion and eavesdropping. Plus with all the hoopla surrounding privacy concerns, they probably planted some weak form of encryption atop it all. It just all bogs things down.

Of course, no guarantees that our German friend didn't do the same, but he is a Ham and deserves our assumption of trust until otherwise proven. It seems to work very well. Comparing to the Icom RS-BA1 right now.

73 de Dave, N7AIG

• N7AIG
    N7AIG Member
    edited June 2020

FWIW... I get the exact same issues when listening to Youtube videos while running a whole bunch of other stuff on screen -- FLDigi + HDSDR + PowerSDR + VAC + ...

I firmly believe that it all has to do with processor loading, because once I shutdown some of the other stuff and refresh the video, the sound plays back normally. So nothing to do with SmartSDR per se, but rather the combined processor and network loading. Of course, SSDR could help by being a bit more efficient. But then someday a lot of other useful tools will appear and begin to bog down the whole system again.

73 de Dave, N7AIG

• N7AIG
    N7AIG Member
    edited March 2015
    ... I call this the "Fish Tank Syndrome"... look at fish in any aquarium and you see them always swimming to the bounding glass. Same with us...
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    My loading is minimal < 15% CPU and slight disk usage. Mem usage also low. Your issue is different.
  • W4WHL
    W4WHL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Same as Guy!

My system when this happens:
    CPU 10-12%
    Memory usage 800Mb
    Network 1.2MBPS (1 gigabit connection)

No chance this issue is lack of system resources.  Its a bug for sure!

W4WHL

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    CPU is not the resource that is critical for real time audio processing. You should be investigating if you have long duration DPCs (deferred procedure calls) using LatencyMon.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    I've ran Latency Monitor while connected with CommCat's VoIP. The audio starts "motorboating" after several minutes but Latency Monitor remains green. I toggle DAX off then on and it clears up for several more minutes before reoccuring. I loaded DA X 1.05 in place of DAX 1.10 which was installed with SSDR 1.3.8. The audio motorboating did not happen in a 20 minute stream. It appears there are issues with DAX 1.10 and my Windows 8.1 system. Just an FYI, PowerSDR 2.72 with Flex 5000 and VAC 4.14 run perfect. Dave, wo2x
  • K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited March 2015
    Hi Dave Wo2x, I've talked to you a couple times in the past on the montclair (Wo2x) repeater :)  Name is Mike
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi David,

Same here with DAX.  No DPC hits (Tim, thanks for pointing this out) on my machine (recent i7 PC, Win 7 64-bit, with good graphics).  DAX 1.3.0 exhibits the stuttering (motorboating) only occasionally (days).  DAX 1.3.8 has the stuttering frequently (every few minutes).  In either case, clicking the DAX panel blue channel enable button OFF then ON fixes the audio temporarily.

DAX 1.3.0 (maybe only with SSDR 1.3.0?) has other problems with level indications, but at least they are predictable and I have been using FLDIGI, WSJT, and RMS Express (WINMOR) successfully with it.

I have not tried mixing DAX 1.3.0 with SSDR 1.3.8.  Tim, is this a workable combination?

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Yep, it is still up on the air. Installed a new PA last fall. Primarily on 442.000 on way to work in morning (6;15 to 7:00)
  • K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I listen from time to time, I run an echo link node for Montclair for Barry K2mf and others to use.

I will stop on 442 in the morning next time i am up that early.  I heard you were in to flex radio from some of the guys.  I just got a 6300.

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    LatencyMonitor stays green during the popping and goes red when there is none. It complains about CPU throttling (ain't any) and tcpip.sys having the highest execution.

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    If you are not having DPC hits greater than 1000 uS, then I suspect (I have no definitive proof of this) it could be a buffer corruption issue.  We have made changes in SmartSDR v1.4 to address streaming inefficiencies and that may clear this up.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Ok thanks! (Fingers crossed) Dave, wo2x
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Thanks Tim.
  • K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited March 2015
    I dont have high DPC hits (highest is 163) but my process latency highest is 4569:

http://i.imgur.com/GS22qAd.png

• K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited March 2015
    I dont have high DPC hits (highest is 163) but my process latency highest is 4569:

http://i.imgur.com/GS22qAd.png

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016

I'm just hoping they release 1.4 before I leave for KH6 so I can have it online.

Dave, wo2x

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Make sure to leave TeamViewer installed, might have to install 1.4 remotely.... :)
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Yep.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2015
    1.4 is LAN based not WAN....that is for 2.0 and above.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited May 2016
    Yes, but we are hoping 1.4 has a more stable DAX audio driver (which Flex stated there are DAX improvements). Also there should be additional bug fixes rolled in as well.

I for one would like to see improvements to AGC slow operation on SSB. The hang time is too slow.

So, I will be running my radio remote but it would be better with 1.4 if these improvements are rolled in as well.

I would love to see more point releases addressing bug fixes along the way, especially if the time between releases increases. But I understand this is not practical because it would require parallel branch development which would require more resources and have more complications .

Hopefully this speed bump in development is a one time thing due to the complexity of adding the audio codec into the radio and future releases come out quicker.

Dave, wo2x
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Careful on remote upgrades -- you will probably need to reboot both the radio and computer in the process. Consider having a remote power switch capability if you want to live on the edge with a long-distance upgrade.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I have used TeamViewer to upgrade software and install updates that required a reboot on family´s PCs and worked like a charm.
    Nonetheless I agree, good to have a neighbor or friend with keys for a hard reset, reboot, just in case.
    Biggest issue, a problem with the router.
  • K2ERA
    K2ERA Member
    edited March 2015
    I hooked my gear up to a web switch v7, its a must have for a remote operation IMHO.  I have had my flex lock up 3 times on me in the 1 week I have had it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.