Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Some questions about the 6700's sampling specs?

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
I have been reviewing my Flex 6700's published specs. SDRs use I & Q data for all its calculations, and the 6700 has an ADC that performs 245 million samples per second, each one 64 bits deep.

I assume each sample holds 32 bits of I data and another 32 bits of Q data...

Is that correct?

Thanks!

Roy AC2GS

Answers

• Alan, K2WS
    Alan, K2WS Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi Roy,
    The ADC sampling is 16 bits wide at 245.76Ms/s. That torrent of data, representing all activity from 30KHz to 77MHz is passed to the FPGA, where it is decimated (certain samples tossed out) and converted into different IQ data streams, one of which is at 24Ks/s. A Slice receiver's DSP processing takes care of bandwidth control, demodulation, ANF, NR, AGC etc. and eventually produces audio. The numeric precision used in DSP processing is much higher than 16 bits, perhaps 64 bit floating point, but I'm not certain. If math precision is high enough then errors due to lack of precision stay below the noise floor of the panadaptor and slice Rx and won't be seen or heard by the user. Did that help somewhat? 73, K2WS
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited May 2020
    The ADC is 16 bits as Alan notes.  245.76MHz is substantially oversampled from the final receiver bandwidth and so significant gain is achieved through decimation (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimation_(signal_processing))  As you decimate, the bandwidth and data rate are reduced and bit-depth is increased.  The eventual output is IQ data at 32-bits each, but all bits are not populated since decimation doesn't achieve 32-bits of data.  It's closer to two 24-bit numbers.
  • Roy Laufer
    Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Thanks Steve! Now I know why Greg Jurrens, K5GJ was throwing around a 64 bit sampling depth in many of his interviews, but the spec sheet stated 16 bits of depth - it was a matter of before and after decimation!

Are there any thoughts regarding publishing a "white paper" that details the complete operation of the 6700 at a level that an Electrical Engineer would feel comfy with?

I'm trying to bring very smart EE with 50 years of experience up to speed on the subject and I can use any documentation that I can offer him.

Thanks!

Roy AC2GS
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Roy, I forwarded you a lengthy email I sent to Bob Fuller, W7KWS, with some background I think may help you and your friend -- his questions were along the same lines.  Take a read and let me know if there's other questions you have.  It's pretty long and technical as well as very open about some details and I probably wouldn't post it here anyway -- it's written more as a personal note.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Steve
    Please post it here.. some of us technonerds love to read this stuff
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would make an interesting read 4 sure.

• Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    Howard & Tim, I'll try to clean it up and post something in the next few weeks.  I'm totally buried working on Maestro and should spend my time on it.
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Steve, I think all of us appreciate the pressures you must be working under, pre the Maestro release Steve, and I'm sure we can wait to see the edited document when you have more time.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.