Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Some Guys Get To Play With ALL The Toys...

Roy Laufer
Roy Laufer Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in New Ideas
Amateur Radio is certainly not a hobby for people that require their gratification instant!

I waited almost a year for my SPE 1.3K-FA Linear Amplifier, and a similar amount of time for my Downeast Microwave specially tuned 70cm transverter.

I've been on the waiting list for Larry Phipp's LP-500 for over three and a half years and, like many of you, the Maestro since the days of last year's Dayton Hamvention.

Now, I see a quick snapshot posted on the Internet of a luckier Ham's"modest" shack, complete with a shiny new LP-500 and a Maestro!

Lucky @$#!$* <grin>!

Some guys just get to play with ALL the toys...

Perhaps in a month, or two, or maybe three, we less fortunate guys will get their chance...

Good luck in the contest, Mack!

Comments

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    It would be nice to see the LP-500 features incorporated into SSDR. 
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019

I’ve been on Larry’s LP-500 station monitor waiting list 3+ years also.  Puts the Maestro “delay” in perspective, doesn’t it?  (-:  (-:

But needing some interim gratification, I just bought a nice Drake 2C, like the one I had in ’68 sans NB.  It is now sitting above my HW-16 (personally crafted by yours truly the same year) and HW-101 in the vintage “Hollow State” corner of the shack.  Should tide me over until my turn comes for the LP-500 and Maestro.  BTW, one nice thing about Larry’s LP-500 is that it accommodates up to 4 couplers, so I’ll be able to connect most of my rigs. 

Do you have a link to the pic of the chosen one with the LP-500 and Maestro?

Howard

• K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019

If I remember correctly poor ole AL :) NN4ZZ is still waiting for his Alpha Dream Tuner!

Sri Al..  I'm still waiting for the remote tuner head version of the same tuner....

Regards

Larry  K1UO

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Larry,
    Yes, it's been on order for over 4 years.  ;-(  I've been using a nice manual tuner (XMatch) so it's not critical and sounds like they are still working on it.   Alpha / RF Concepts / RKR has been through a lot so it encouraging that the product is even still viable.    

It makes you realize and appreciate what a great job FRS does with their delivery dates.  

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.21.77
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.21.159
    Win10

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I think I just beat Al to the order list. I am 2978-7163 (8:17am). When Mary was still with Alpha she mentioned I was first on the order list. 4.5 years on I am not holding my breath!

Tim VE6SH
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    As Alpha in 2011 really wasn't in the position to fully fund a new product type development, one wonders if they were marking their territory as much as anything else? BTW my order number is a whole different serquence yet was pretty close in time, so did they have more that one series going? 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Mark Griffin
    Mark Griffin Member
    edited May 2016
    I agree with all the comments above regarding Alpha. I purchased an Alpha 8410 quite a few years ago from Molly. This is when Alpha was in much better financial shape then what they are in currently.

My issues with Alpha were the poor communication they have with their present and past customers. Plus, if you are on the East Coast, it is rather expensive to send your Alpha all the way to Colorado for service or even an upgrade. It seems the only time you hear of an upgrade is when you are having a problem. And if you do send your Amp to them, they will not give you any idea of what the cost will be to repair or upgrade the unit. All in all, I got rid of my 8410 and went to the Acom 1000. I have never been happier.

I wouldn't want to bet my house or my life on Alpha coming out with their 4040. I might bet .25 on it, but that's about all. With all the new technology coming out, they just are finding it hard to compete. Time will tell as to what happens to RKR/Alpha. Mark Griffin, KB3Z

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.