Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Some Community food for thought...

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
edited August 2020 in Message Board
There have been some recent posts that I wanted to address to the Community as a whole.  Particularly about comments referring to the removal of posts because the content is critical of FlexRadio or they are dissatisfied with a FlexRadio product.  I want to go on the record again to say that posts are not removed for this reason.

The Community is a double edge sword for the company that promotes and supports it because it is a public forum whose primary purpose is for the customer to directly and openly interact with the company.  The company gets the benefit of a near real-time communication forum to communicate to a large number of customers, prospective customers, and others interested parties (for whatever reason for their interest).  When the intent of the communication is not moderated, a healthy bi-directional communication between customer and company can exist and this has numerous benefits for both parties.  However, there is also the opportunity for anarchy if certain guidelines of etiquette, civility and decorum are not maintained. And it is this last point I would like to discuss in greater detail.

Any time you communicate a thought or feeling there are two very important and separate components of that message; the content and the manner in which it is delivered

On the Community, the content of the message, whether it is complimentary or not, is, in vast majority cases, never moderated.  It is the delivery of that message that is the critical element that must be fostered and maintained in order for the Community to provide benefit to both the customer and the company. 

This is why we have Community guidelines posted on the Community homepage that are primarily a set of common sense rules for using the Community in such a manner that it maximizes the benefit for you the customer and the company.  Two of the cornerstones of these guidelines is to treat everyone with courtesy and respect.  The other is to provide constructive criticism by communicating it in a respectful and mature manner if you have an issue to raise.  It is when the line is crossed with either of these two components happens that moderation can happen.  I usually err on the side of tolerance when it comes to when deciding if that line has been crossed because I realize that sometimes frustration can get the better of us at times and I try not to react too quickly, so salient points can be made.  For the benefit of new and old members alike, I have posted these guidelines below for your convenience.

And remember when using the Community always show respect to others regardless of their opinions. Give people the benefit of the doubt, just like you would if talking to them in person. Posts that include personal attacks, overtly negative comments, sarcasm, non-constructive criticism, falsehoods, defamation of character, libelous speech, or gratuitous profanity will be removed, as they do not contribute to the community atmosphere we want to maintain. Any pattern of poor behavior may result in losing your Community posting privileges.

I also want to make another important point before concluding. There are varying degrees of customer opinions and feelings about our products and one must be cognizant that if posting a comment or reply, regardless if it is overly critical or complimentary will elicit responses from those who have the opposite opinion, sometimes as passionately or more than the original post. It is usually though civil two-way discourse by both sides of an opinion where most of the value of the community concept is revealed.  Calling people names, stereotyping them, belittling them are not elements of civil discourse and have no place in the Community.  Comments of this nature are also subject to moderation because they definitely fall within the Community guidelines.  I can appreciate one's frustrations at times and those feelings are legitimate, but it is possible to express your level of that frustration in a mature manner without resorting to angry and overly exaggerated examples to make your point.  In fact, doing so actually lessens the credibility of your concern and the point you are trying to make. Debate is good, arguing is not.

In conclusion, for those new to the Community, I want to take a second to provide a better understanding of my purpose as the “mayor” of the Community.  My primary role at FlexRadio is to be your advocate so that your voice, comments, complaints, and concerns are a critical part of the business decision making process.  The Community is one of the vehicles I use to collect that information.  As a previous customer of FlexRadio and a small business owner of a service based company before I became an employee, I believe this is the ideal experience that makes me well suited for this role, as I can easily empathize and understand your feelings, joy, and frustration of being an owner of a FlexRadio SDR.  You can ask the management team, I can be very passionate at times advocating for your benefit to make our products and services better and customer focused.  I want everyone to know your voice is heard.  You are a part of the process, even when it seems you are not. 

I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful weekend with your family and get to “play” radio some too. 

Comments

• Brad Adams (N4PYI)
    Brad Adams (N4PYI) Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Well said Tim. Agree 110%,
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ditto
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2018
    I know that dynamic very well too.
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Tim, GREAT MAYOR! I will vote for you again but don’t solicit for contributions :>). Saving my $ for more Flex toys. Looks like shoulder getting better. More typing :). Bob
  • Ed, K6VMV
    Ed, K6VMV Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thanks Tim.  I agree 100% !!  Many thanks for all of your hard work.  73
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I don't agree with any of this. I have not read any of the post yet but thought I would get that out of the way and will read it now :)

kd0zv
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    :-)
    NX6C
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Thank you for recommending a practital and positive approach.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    The only problem with Tim's post is that the offenders all think he is referring to the other guy.

• Alan Cerniglia
    edited April 2018
    Recently a Texas ham sent his 6600M back because he could not operate the radio. He presents himself as a high tech guru. I really think his wife found out how much he spent & laid down the law...  LOL...  Anyhow... He also claims he's buddies with Rob Sherwood, which most people know is a Icom fan. Since he returned his Flex he has been spreading rumors about Flex, his latest being that Flex removes bad comments about Flex radios. He got a deal on the Icom 7610 from a Texas ham for $3000, which he's still being technically challenged ... LOL  Anyhow, it's amazing how far someone will go to show their Ignorance.  THE DUNNING  KRUGER EFFECT ... 
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yea... Pretty easy behind a monitor and keyboard to assume you've done no wrong. LOL
This discussion has been closed.