Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Solid red light when transmitting — is the PA bad?

Joe KK9TT
Joe KK9TT Member ✭✭
My power button turns red when transmitting or tuning at any power, even the lowest. Checked voltage at incoming power poles, cables to power supply only about a foot long, did factory reset. No joy. 

Is my power amp a goner? 

Any ideas or do I have to bring it to Austin (we're traveling nearby) if Flex is even open during this virus problem. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe KK9TT 

Answers

• Geoff AB6BT
    Geoff AB6BT Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Power button green in RX and red in TX is correct.
  • FISHULA X
    FISHULA X Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    On my 6300, when I transmit the power button turns red. It's supposed change red then back to green in RX????? unless we are not understanding you correctly? Can you please go into a bit more of details. I think we are missing something.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2020
    Hey John

Now would be to page through 2 manuals.  The software manual and the hardware manual.  We hide a lot of secrets there!  :)  You can find them on the Flex web site in the download area.

Here are some you'll like:

6.6.1 Chart for Indicator Color Codes

SOLID BRIGHT RED: Transmitting on PA
    SOLID ORANGE: Transmitting on XVTR port with low power
    SOLID DIM RED: Transmit engaged, but transmit interlocks are not ready. 
    SOLID PURPLE: Radio is performing a software update
    SOLID GREEN: Radio is in receive mode
    FLASHING RED: Flashing three blinks indicates radio software is not running
    FLASHING GREEN: Radio is booting or loading firmware
    FLASHING WHITE: Radio is performing a reset to factory defaults
    OFF: Radio turned off, oscillators are off.

Just kidding on the secrets.  LOL

Mike va3mw

• Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    From the hardware manual:
    • FLASHING GREEN: Radio is starting or shutting down
    • SOLID GREEN: Radio is in receive mode
    • FLASHING RED: See Error Conditions below
    • SOLID BRIGHT RED: Transmitting on PA
    • SOLID DIM RED: Transmit engaged, but transmit interlocks are not ready. Refer to the SmartSDR documentation for description of the transmit interlocks.
    • SOLID ORANGE: Transmitting on XVTR port with low power
    • SOLID PURPLE: Radio is performing a software update
    • FLASHING WHITE: Radio is performing a reset to factory defaults
    • OFF: Radio is off
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    You made me look, never really took note before.
  • Joe KK9TT
    Joe KK9TT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Well, I got schooled. My Flex is hidden away under, way under, a desk and to turn it on or off I feel for the power button — can’t see it — and turn it on or off. Never knew it turned red when transmitting until I crawled around down there recently to clean things! 
    Yup, time to reread the manual. 

D'oh! Thanks, folks. 

• James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    during transmit mine turns RED and when switch back to recieve it turns Blue ( GPSDO installed )
    Jim/WU5E
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    While transmitting, mine emits small swirls of blue smoke that surround the red button, while also making a faint roaring hum of modulating intensity, like that of a warp drive engine.
    Perhaps I have a slow plasma leak in one of the field correlation magnets?

Humph, perhaps another glass of Vino is in order...

• Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    A little early for April Fool's posting...
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Sounds like you need to check the hydrocoptic marvelvanes and recalibrate the grammeters.
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    obviously a bad Flux Capacitor...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.