SO2R Setup problem

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
I am setting up a Flex 6700 for SO2R using N1MM+.  I followed the SO2R Mode With N1MM For The FLEX-6700 How To Guide and was partially successful.  The issue is the FDX seems to be disabled whenever the transmitting slice is set to CW (the non-transmitting slice is muted.)  FDX works fine when the transmitting slice is in any mode except CW (the non-transmitting slice is not muted.)  I am using SDR v1.9.9.170.  I am newbie so please help!     73, Bud AA3B
Photo of Bud Trench

Bud Trench

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mark Griffin

Mark Griffin

• 84 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Bud,
Congratulations on getting a Flexradio 6700. I will be anxious to hear how you like it. Mark Griffin, KB3Z
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2331 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
Hi Bud,

The way you describe it sounds like a bug. I'm curious if anyone else has had the same issue and is able to reliably reproduce it. I've never had it.

Hope you like the radio. I love mine.

Ria
Photo of Bud Trench

Bud Trench

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Ria.  I am really concerned about the noted issue as I bought the radio specifically to do CW SO2R and it appears not to work.  I need feedback on its resolution.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Welcome aboard, Bud! I'll have to check that on mine to see if I can duplicate the problem
Photo of Chris Tate  - N6WM

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 994 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Hi Bud.  Welcome to the flex community and Flex SO2R contesting.  this sounds like an issue with some type of profile issuue.  Mastering various profile types can take some time to wrap your head around.  

We have a number of power contesters using the platform SO2R (including myself) and not experiencing this.

If you would like I would be happy to work this through with you to make sure you are setup ok.

Chris
N6WM
Flex Community Contesting Champion 
Photo of Bud Trench

Bud Trench

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Chris.  I would greatly appreciate the help.  How do we proceed?

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 994 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
lets take it off reflector n6wm @ arrl dot net
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
Arch! Why off reflector?

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 994 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Ill follow up with a summary once we square it away.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 259 Reply Likes
M'kay. When I went to my N1MM setup, I found I had messed it up somehow when I set up voice keying, and will be looking forward to the answer. Thanks much!
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1816 Posts
  • 560 Reply Likes
So was it on your end as previously suggested? Did you have some type of software issue with your profiles? Or is it a Flex issue?
By future build.... are we talking SmartSDR build?
And if it is SmartSDR.... Is it an issue particular to the latest version of SmartSDR? Otherwise, how did the contest power users miss it?

Chris Tate - N6WM, Elmer

• 994 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
There are a number of different work flows and methodologies that operators use in their environments.  While the alpha team try their best, some issue or workflow may be missed, however this is an example of how a case like this can be identified and resolved.  hopefully it doesn't happen to often ;-). 

Bud I am glad we got you squared away quickly.  Catch ya on the air during the contest season.

~N6WM
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1816 Posts
  • 560 Reply Likes
So maybe a case could be make to start a SmartSDR stable release / Beta release and have a larger community of users test the beta version to try to find these issues. It seems the alpha team might be a bit small to go through all the possible iterations/permutations or environments as you described them. This will also keep people less willing to deal with unknown issues from installing anything but a stable version of SmartSDR. 
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 273 Reply Likes
Mastering profiles. Could someone that has mastered profiles please create some sort of written or even video tutorial?

I have found profiles to be very confusing. Confusing to the point of ignoring what some say is a key feature of the Flex Signature series. It is hard to tell when a profile has changed (particularly the Global) or what has changed. It is hard for me to understand how the three profiles relate to each other and why, when I select a particular Global profile, a seemingly arbitrary mic or transmit profile is selected to go along with it. I have more than once selected a QRP profile only to realize I was transmitting at 20 watts (not in the contest - very careful about the contest). 20 watts is usually where I set power out for digi use.

Some seem to have embraced profiles fully so I'm sure I'm missing basic understanding. 

The manual does discuss profiles but not in a how-to or cookbook tutorial way.

Kev K4VD
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2331 Posts
  • 967 Reply Likes
Hmm. Not sure what is so complicated about profiles. This is my very basic understanding of them, based on a month's use of my 6700:

There are three types of profiles, Global, Transmit and Mic.

Global profiles are basically a snapshot of the entire radio. They do not capture the settings of DAX and CAT applications. However, it will capture all settings including how many and where you have panadapters and slices open, and which one is transmitting, filter and other stuff including the transmit profile linked to each antenna input  (1, 2 and XVTR) and mic profile. So basically it's the whole thing, soup to nuts. 

Transmit profiles are strictly to do with the RF side which means things like ALC, RF power and Tune Power. These settings are per band.

Mic profiles are simply settings for the AF side including DAX settings (in SmartSDR, not in the DAX application), levels, processor etc. 

When you save a global profile it will also create a mic and tx profile with the same name and load them with the global profile the next time you load the global profile.

Some apps such as SmartSDR for iOS and dogparkSDR have their own profiles with optimized settings as default. However you can select another profile or change the settings and save them. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bud Trench

Bud Trench

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Official Response
The problem I reported was determined to be a software logic problem that will be fixed in a future build.  My special thanks to Chris Tate and Steve Hicks for a very aggressive and thorough response.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.