Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SO2R on 6700 vs 6600M

As far as I understand that  6700 doesn't need additional filters for SO2R. All filters are inside 6700.
What about 6600M? Is it configured like 6700 or do we need provide external filter?

Answers

• Steven WA8Y
    Steven WA8Y Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Includes all filters for contesting bands
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    I understand the 6600's also have the filters for SO2R. I understand that with higher power, SO2R was only possible the AG amp from Flex without additional filters, They also mentioned that if your antennas are close together you may have to use external filters anyway, even with the Flex amp. Like they said, every situation is different.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Well, this really depends on your antenna separation and power levels.  For instance, the 6600 and its 7th order preselectors helped some remove their in line bpf's and achieve adequate isolation as compared to the 6700.  but if your antenna proximity and power levels are enough to overload the ports still, you will still need to use filters in (low power in the feeds to the amp, including PG, and/or high power filters on the outputs to the antennas in an SO2R(TX while listening) environment.  also worth noting, no bpf will protect from phase noise on the fundamental..  

In summary, the 6600 7th order preselectors help, but with both the 6700 and 6600, you still may need to plan to use external filter methods for additional isolation depending on your particular environment.
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have the 6600 and 6700 in my shack. The 6600 has great filtering and I do not need to use external filters. With the 6700 I DO need to use external contest filters for isolation. The internal 6700 filters are not as brickwall as the 6600.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    External filters or stubs are beneficial. K9CT ran some tests and with his antenna separation he was able to remove his BPFs. But others in close proximity won’t be able to, so BPFs are a must. They also help on transmit, which the 6600’s or 6700’s do not do.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Right.  As I said, some (including you ;-))were able to achieve the needed isolation with the 6600 7th order isolation filters.  It really depends on the environment, antenna separation etc.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    correct.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Mack - how far apart are your antennas? I have two on one tower and the others are about 80-150ft apart. Btw polarization matters. It’s the most understated thing about SO2R isolation.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    ... i have 3 monobander on one boom (3 coax cable) - bring me a 6600 i will do a test ;-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.