Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

So how badly did you want those fuzzy looking analog meters on a 7610?

David Holmgren
David Holmgren Member ✭✭
...When you can have this!  A picture is worth a 1000 words!image

Comments

• Romas-LY3CU
    Romas-LY3CU Member
    edited June 2018
    Good afternoon from Europe, Can someone show SSB - signal? TX, 6600, 6400. Live on Youtube.
  • David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    OK so I should add a few words about how I made this work.  Out of the box connecting a HDMI cable to a widescreen monitor will give you a flex screen in the middle of the remote display with black bars on either side.  Once you hook up the wide screen you need to go into advanced display properties on the 6400M.  This will launch the Intel video driver program.  In there you can have it select your display and you can also pick the formatting of it.  It won't change right away to the wide screen until you save the configuration and exit the program through the 6400M.  Have fun creating Flex envy with your ICOM friends!
  • Roger_W6VZV
    Roger_W6VZV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Great info, Dave.  Thanks.  I have never regretted going Flex instead of Icom, grin.  
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi David.  Have you seen an IC-7610 in person?  I have, and the analog meter on the 7610 is razor-sharp, just like the one that should be made available for the 6400/6600 radios.  This should not be difficult to implement, and all that's needed is a toggle to select from one or the other, analog or digital, at the user's discretion.
  • Alan C
    Alan C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Have you tried Smart S-Meter Plus? Search this forum and you will find.
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks, but I don't want to have to rely on yet another stand alone application, but prefer that it be made integral to the radio, and to SmartSDR.
  • David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi Doug,
    I'll admit it I'm vain and maybe a bit shallow in my radio requirements and usually don't split hairs sweating the specs on radios reading Sherwood or others but when I saw those big analog meters on the ICOM I fell in love with it until I met it in person at HRO.  So to answer you question yes I have seen the display up close and it's not that crisp being only an 800 x 600 display.  I can't believe in an age where our cell phones with a smaller display have resolutions 4 or 5 times that. ICOM's display is unacceptable to me.  Unfortunately FLEX doesn't have a store like HRO where folks can see, appreciate and be amazed at the FLEX display.  It's not until you can see it in person and is the reason I traveled to Hamvention this year to experience it.  Now where Flex really shines is with all that resolution being shown on the remote display.  And, Flex actually uses a modern video method HDMI vs a DVI on the ICOM.  Shame on ICOM for using old stuff on a new radio.  The way that radio was built I was surprised that they actually had a USB connector instead of a DB9 connector.

So my comment about the meters is more me poking fun at myself.  I believe they call that self deprecating humor.  Anyways I would LOVE to see analog meters like ICOM on a FLEX and would lobby for them as you have.  This would seal the deal for FLEX for those ICOM folks that are on the fence. 

Best 73,
    David K9RUF or sometimes they call me "Ruffers"
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Hi David, good points!  I hope that the option for a user-selectable style of meter, analog/digital, is being given priority consideration by Flex.  I have a 6400M which is an excellent radio, but the availability of an analog meter would be greatly appreciated.
  • Thomas NE7X
    Thomas NE7X Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018

I have a simulated analog meter on my IC-7700 and it looks very sharp in focus. In the menu I can select between analog or bar graph meter. Being from the old school, I prefer the analog meter. The Flex has a high resolution TFT, so I am sure a simulated analog meter would not be fuzzy.

Question:

Do you prefer a) analog or digital VOM, b) analog or digital RF watt meter ?

• W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    analog for both devices
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks just used advanced/display/selected my hdmi display instead of built in display and checked scale full screen then apply and ok and it works super. Thanks again!
  • David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Great Wayne and glad that worked for you too!
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I also looked under power for a screen saver but no such luck :-(
  • David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I know I wish they offered that because I hate to see this beautiful screen experience burn in especially when you want to leave it on when you travel to do the cool remote control stuff.  Flex insists burn in isn't possible with their screen and I want to believe them but this would be a pretty special screen if it were true.  Couldn't be too hard of a feature to add I would think.  Oh well we'll keep waiting for it...
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Numeric Digital for All devices without wasting space for analog lines
  • W8QB
    W8QB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Freedom to choose
  • Douglas Maxwell
    Douglas Maxwell Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Save compute power for something else other than pretty meters.
  • James Whiteway
    edited June 2018
    I seriously doubt a graphic representation of an analog meter would be any greater of a resource
    Resource or preformance drain on any recent pc.
    If it is, it's time to get rid of the TRS-80!
    Options and customization are always good.
    James
    WD5GWY
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    For field day had an opportunity to use the 7610 hooked to a 46 inch westinghouse large screen, really couldnt tell the difference between that display and my flex 6400m display on my tcl monitor quality wise both looked the same. Very clear and no fuzziness on either.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    And considering the Flex has much higher res...
  • David Holmgren
    David Holmgren Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I actually brought my Flex 6400M out for Field Day and it was a hit!  Had I brought an external display I could have started to sell them on the spot.
  • Amlan - AI6XN
    Amlan - AI6XN Member
    edited June 2018
    IC-7610 only supports 800x600 on an external monitor. Not sure how it was so clear on a 46” display, but good for you. I have a  IC-7610 and an IC-7300 trading those in to get a 6600M
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Monitor probably used an up conversion automatically.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.