Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Sneak Peak of Smartlink

ka7gzr
ka7gzr Member ✭✭

Thanks Tim! This gets me more prepared for the upcoming release. Interesting date on the cover page...

Jim

ka7gzr

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Might be a good time to make sure your router can handle it. Otherwise, it's almost go time :)
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018

It has been a long time coming, release 2.x please.

Jeff

• Richard McClelland, AA5S
    Richard McClelland, AA5S Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I notice that Tim purged all references to the Flex 6800/6800M in this document :-) 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    ...what are the needs for the router? Cant see/read any details.

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    First I've heard of the 6800M, but doesn't surprise me.  I'm guessing my 6700 will be  weeping resale value soon.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    You need UPnP enabled OR you need manual port forwarding. In the case of manual port forwarding the smartlink chooser will let you know which ports to forward.
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    It must have the Ports Forwarded required for remote access of the Flex 6xxx.
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Assuming you meant 6400 or 6600, nothing was purged.  None of the user documentation, other than announcements and flyers, has been updated with the new model numbers.

These How To guides have been written from the point of view of existing radios in the field.  When the newer models begin to ship an appropriate general overhaul of the documentation will take place. The new models will be added to the documentation, no models will be removed.
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    OK tnx info - nothing special ;-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2017
    Correct.  Nothing out of the ordinary ;-)
  • Jay Spaulding
    Jay Spaulding Member
    edited June 2020
    They said it was going to be out in June... Just didnt say what year. 
    Is there an update on that?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Since the Quick Start Guides are out it is getting very close :-)
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

To be or not to be is the question ?

To remote with VPN and SoftEther or to remote via V2.0 is the real question ?

For VPN with Rasberry Pi and SoftEther on a DSL line (which needed higher 

speeds in the upload ).

My question is just between the two ways of doing it

and if V2.0 had less of a demand on resources.

Maybe my question is everything minimized to minimum

Can I conclude V2.0 might give and advantage to those of the edge

that have slower data rates.

Be nice if someone noticed any differences.

No one has said anything, but would be interesting to compare the two

ways of Remoting and resources needed with your Internet Provider

into your remote controlled Flex6xxx and performance differences and

if V2 might be more efficient than VPN in certain situations with slower

speed slug DSL.

73 Mike

• Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    Both ways of skinning the cat result in a skinned cat.  There are bandwidth management features you can get with SmartLink that are not available using a VPN solution.  There is less network overhead with SmartLink than with a full VPN connection since only the necessary data gets encrypted.  
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017

Tim,

Like that answer for V2.0, looking for that slight edge when speeds

get slower on the Rural Fringes of Slug Slow DSL Internet Providers.

73 Mike

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    It's a joke. I don't think such a creature exists yet.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Maybe Monday as that will match the date on the recently released Documents.   ;~)
  • Steve - N4TTY
    Steve - N4TTY Member
    edited June 2020
    Was that a misprint where it said you wouldn't have to buy a license if you purchased your radio after May 2007? Was it supposed to be May 2017?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited July 2017
    After May 19, 2017
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Makes sense Larry, and to answer Jays' question above, the year is 2017 Jay.
  • ka7gzr
    ka7gzr Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019

My experience with Softether VPN with a Pi has been hit and miss with remote WiFi connections. I have tested with about 15 WAN WiFis and have had about 20% success rate. I can always connect with my AT&T cellular service. I have played with the Waterfall rates and other parameters that eat up bandwidth and they do help the quality of the experience.

Jim

ka7gzr

• Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    It's a typo.  the year is 2017.  We'll get it fixed
  • Jay Spaulding
    Jay Spaulding Member
    edited July 2017
    I was told June at Dayton. And it's passed. Just wondering. So we have it June 2017 gotcha.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The real advantage of smartlink is zero configuration. Just create an account, pair and go. It is also the only way to get maestro connected remotely without another vpn client box. You can also allow others to use your radio without giving access to the whole network and without a bunch of messy firewall rules. For me though, it's a small piece of the puzzle. I am looking forward to the other improvements that it brings later such as multi client. Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I haven't had such a problem. I'm able to connect everywhere where ports aren't heavily restricted.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    The Gurus at Flex looked into their crystal ball when they were figuring out when Vers 2 was going to be released and the crystal ball said Ju, but they couldn't see it cleary. So it it must have been July not June they were seeing.
  • Michael Aust
    Michael Aust Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Ria & Michael

Have slow DSL here with a BufferBloat from dslreports with an F grade.

Will the IQrouter help?

With a Single Panadapter, everything minimum, can run SoftEther 
    VPN, with RasPi at home, but audio stutters sometimes at remote location 
    Starbucks (coffee shop) Wi-Fi

Hoping V2 helps a little as well, using 1.9.13 here SSDR

My dslreport below

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    The IQRouter will help a little with buffer bloat but the fundamental issue are your speeds. Is there any other provider you can use that offers better speeds? Mack W4AX Alpha Team
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited July 2017
    As Mack said it will help some.  I suspect your experience with the VPN running remotely will be about the same as when using SmartLink.  Having at least 1 mbps up is the recommended minimum upload bandwidth for an adequate user experience.  You can do it with less, as you have noted, but also as Mack said, it is a bandwidth issue too.

One thing to point out is the "saw tooth" pattern on your uploads.  That is indicative of your ISP doing bandwidth throttling on your upload bandwidth.  So there is capacity, you may be able to have your ISP provide some more upload bandwidth.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    A 6800M would make sense.  Two slices available on its internal display, and 8 slices available on an external display.  Include in the improved Contest Filters, two transverter ports, HDMI port(s), and keep VHF.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.