Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SnartSDR Panel API and "Store'

Neal_K3NC
Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
It would be great if Flex published an API for programmers to be able to write panel applets that could be part of the stack of applets (power display, DAX/Mic processing, etc). It would allow us to be able to write applets that could:
- decode digital signals realtime
- see dx cluster spots for visible panadapters
- write loglet features
- etc.

Flex could post these on its storefront and take a percentage of their sales to offset the cost of admin, etc.

What say??

Neal
4 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Milen KG2C
    Milen KG2C Member
    edited January 2018
    While I see the appeal of having third-party features added to the UI, I don't see why you would want a store front to make Flex a gatekeeper to what you can add using the API.
    The smart phone app stores were added so that the company providing the OS can be the gatekeeper to everything you are allowed by them to run, and to ensure they can profit from everything you run. Those app stores were made convenient to use only because otherwise people would find other means of installing software that could not be controlled and monetized by the OS provider.

Having said that, an add-on store, provided by Flex could be beneficial if it provides visibility to applications that people might need but not know about, as long as it is possible to install the application directly (assuming the developer offers them for free).
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    The advantage of a storefront is precisely what you said, Flex could be a gatekeeper. A lousily written panel applet would affect the operation of SmartSDR in total, at which point Flex would be blamed for lousy software. If they could bounce error prone panels off the market, they can protect themselves.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It would act as a "Force Multiplier" by allowing third parties to do cool stuff, thus freeing the Flex team for other dev tasks. But I can't help wondering if building and maintaining the infrastructure wouldn't take more time than it would save? Peter K1PGV
  • James Whiteway
    edited February 2020
    FRS has said in the past they will not allow plug-ins (essentially what your asking for) to SSDR because of the support issues that can, and most likely would, arise. James WD5GWY
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    In my own opinion, plug-ins would be solely supported by the original developers -- but built on the published Flex API. I have developed plug-ins for the Wordpress environment that provide unique abilities on that platform. I believe that the FRS platform would benefit greatly from the broader Ham (and Ham/Maker) user communities. 
  • James Whiteway
    edited May 2017
    While I like the idea of plug-in's, I imagine another reason is for some ideas to work (such as Spots on a panadapter) it would require the plug-in developer to have knowledge of SSDR's implementation of it's user interface. That would mean that FRS would need to share SSDR's source code to some extent. Or at least expose those elements of the user interface to outside developers.  I seriously doubt that will happen. And while it's true that a 3rd party developer should be responsible for their code, it will fall on FRS to field problems brought up by users and to decide if it's FRS's code that is causing the problem(s) or that of the 3rd party plug-in developer.
    Given all the issues FRS already gets because of Windows Updates etc. I understand why they would not want to add to their developer's workload trying to track down issues. I can see where that would be costly and time consuming for FRS, even if they decide it's my plug-in or yours that's creating the problems.
    And users will call FRS first or at the very least post here on the Community expecting FRS to handle the issue.
    james
    WD5GWY

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
    I am not sure what's going on but I replied and liked and they are now gone.

I like this idea a lot!

While I do see FRS concern about plugins, they could just make a store for purchasing API enabled apps that run along side of SmartSDR!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.