Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartsdr cat - How to edit rather than re-enter

Stan VA7NF
Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
Is there a way to view the current setup and change one or more entries without a total re-enter?

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    If I understand the question, you can not edit the virtual com port pairs.  Once created they have to be deleted and recreated to change the port type (dedicated, shared or PTT).
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have a question about the procedure related to this... I have deleted port pairs in SmartSDR CAT before and tried to redefine them or add them back and they were given port numbers at the high end of the list of what are already there.  But it didn't reassign port numbers that had been vacated when I deleted the port pair.  Should it be able to do that?  Or does it always go to the top of the list?  If I reboot between steps will it catch the vacated port numbers and use them?

This would be handy to be able to delete or redefine a dedicated port as a PTT port or Shared port without deleting them all and starting over.  (Although I have done that often enough that I can now get 10 port pairs redone in about 5-10 minutes or less.)
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Ken,

I tried to use a port pair that had been vacated just today and it did not let me until I closed down SmartSDR CAT and then restarted it again. I did not have to re-boot the computer.

Ed, K0KC
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Ed.  I may have missed that step somehow.  But that was a couple of revisions ago.  Perhaps they fixed it in a later release.
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    ED and Ken: I possibly speaking to others that know more about operating systems than I do. However, I have found that you are going to have less issues if you delete the Virtual ports in CAT. Then REBOOT the computer, Check your COM Devices in the Control panel and verify that the previous CAT Com ports are no longer assigned to CAT. Open CAT and reassign the COM ports you need. last step is to REBOOT again and verify that CAT COM ports are set correctly by checking the Devices in the Control Panel.
    This may be a lot of unnecessary steps. However, with Win 8.1 these steps seem to work better. I have noticed the Win 8.1 Operating System sometimes will  reassign available Com ports to other devices and change their Assignment order.
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Guys,

Better safe than sorry I guess!

Ed, K0KC
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    William - W4EY,
    That's how I usually do it, and have recommended to others on this forum.  I was just curious if there was another, less involved way that would work equally well....
  • W4EY
    W4EY Member
    edited November 2016
    Ken there is no other way to ensure that the process really works.  I had a Application in Win 8.1 that Continued to assign COM4 to that application. Had a lot of issues and finally removed the Application just to get COM4 as the Basic port for the FLEX.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Yes, that is a pain in the backside.  But I am not all that concerned to have COM4.  If something else is always grabbing it, let it have it.  I usually define about 5 Dedicated ports, three PTT ports and about 6 Shared ports just to make sure I have enough for both my 6500 and my 1500 and don't have to constantly reselect ports on my various Digi programs, voice keyers, loggers, DXCuster programs, etc.  It is much easier to give each program its own port than to remember which one needs the port this time.....

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.