Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Beta v1.0.5 is now available for download

Steve-N5AC
Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
As we've discussed both here on the community and in email, we will be starting a public Beta program for SmartSDR. In the public Beta program, anyone licensed to do so may download the SmartSDR Beta software and install on their computer/radio (generally, any owner of a FLEX-6000 Signature Series Radio). We would appreciate receiving reports of any issues you have with the Beta. You may always return to the v1.0 software if you have any issues with the Beta versions of SmartSDR. The release notes packaged with SmartSDR contain a list of all the changes since SmartSDR v1.0. Installing SmartSDR for Windows no longer installs SmartSDR CAT automatically due to a virtual com port driver dependency that requires SmartSDR CAT to be uninstalled and the PC rebooted before a SmartSDR CAT can be installed. If you have previously installed SmartSDR CAT, please follow the instructions in the release notes for first uninstalling the previous version before installing SmartSDR CAT, detailed below and in the release notes. There are several sub-procedures described below that are outlined in greater detail in the SmartSDR v1.0.5 Release Notes. Make sure you review the Release Notes before updating the FLEX-6000 radio software and SmartSDR CAT. =============================== Upgrading SmartSDR for Windows =============================== 1.) Shut down SmartSDR for Windows if running. 2.) If SmartSDR CAT is running, close it too 3.) Power cycle the FLEX-6000 by pressing the front panel power button, waiting several seconds and then pressing it again to reboot the radio. Wait until the radio has finished booting before continuing. 4.) Run the SmartSDR v1.0.5 Installer: SmartSDR Beta v1.0.5 5.) At the end of the installation process, display the release notes (A PDF reader is required) and run SmartSDR for Windows. 6.) You should see your FLEX-6000 in the chooser indicating that an upgrade is required. If you have never done a FLEX-6000 software upgrade, you may what to review the FLEX-6000 Upgrade procedure on page 7 in the Release Notes which can be also found in the Windows Start Menu -> FlexRadio Systems -> SmartSDR v1.0.5 -> Release Notes folder. 7.) After the FLEX-6000 software has upgraded, you should see the radio in the SmartSDR Radio Chooser indicating it is "Available". If after 5 minutes or so and you do not see the radio become "Available" (the yellow Update bard will have completely traversed to the right hand side), power off the radio using the Power button and power it back on. 8.) You can now run SmartSDR Beta v1.0.5 ======================= Upgrading SmartSDR CAT ======================= 1.) If SmartSDR for Windows is running, shut it down now. 2.) Follow the procedure "Uninstalling SmartSDR CAT" starting on page 7 in the SmartSDR v1.0.5 Release Notes. Make sure to reboot the PC when done (this is very important). 3.) Follow the procedure "Installing SmartSDR CAT" starting on page 8 in the SmartSDR v1.0.5 Release Notes. 4.) Start SmartSDR CAT by selecting the SmartSDR CAT program from the Windows Start Menu -> FlexRadio Systems program folder 5.) If needed, configure the virtual com ports as per the SmartSDR CAT documentation ============================= Release Specific Information ============================= Please review the Known Issues, Caveats and Limitations section in the SmartSDR for Windows Release Notes on page 5 for a comprehensive listing of release specific information regarding the operation of your FLEX-6000 Signature Series SDR. ==================================== Where to Download SmartSDR Beta v1.0.5 ==================================== SmartSDR Beta v1.0.5 is a large download. It is approximately 80 MB in size. You can download SmartSDR for Windows from: SmartSDR Beta v1.0.5

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Steve, The release notes files does not seem to be loading. I tried downloading the installer twice with the same results. This is the error message I get and the file size is 0. Am I doing something wrong? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    No this was just discovered and fixed. Try again ;-)
  • Ed, K0KC
    Ed, K0KC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Steve, My release notes PDF file was 0K after two attempts at installing 1.0.5 Ed, K0KC
  • Tom-KJ4QDZ
    Tom-KJ4QDZ Member
    edited November 2013
    Same problem here.
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited December 2016
    You'll need to re-download Ed. They didn't make it into the upload the first time. If you downloaded before 1706 Central Time, you'll need to re-download.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Steve, New version fixed it, just fyi on the file size of the correct version. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Steve-N5AC
    edited February 2017
    Just in case you don't want to pull the whole file, here are the release notes by themselves: SmartSDR Beta v1.0.5 Release Notes
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks - update went smoothly here.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    The SmartSDR install is in and working but for some reason it would not complete until I rebooted the PC. (I know you have to reboot between removing and installing CAT but I'm referring to the SmartSDR) This has happened on previous updates as well. The UPDATING message does not complete, the YELLOW bar is fully filled, the PURPLE LED remains lit for 15+ minutes. Retrying, powering off the radio, removing 13.8V power does not correct it. After installing the update but before updating the radio, reboot the PC. Then running the SmartSDR application works. It performs the radio update, the radio becomes available and all is good. In the event anyone else has the problem this may be helpful. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I agree with Al... The computer should be rebooted after downloading the SSDR version and using it with the radio. I was getting a few weird events for a bit until I backed up and rebooted the PC. (Mostly related to the TX side and the PA power levels and slider control) This is something that most likely should be done as a habit for both the SSDR and SCAT downloads before using them.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Very easy install. I guess the key is to reboot after uninstalling SCAT, reboot after installing SSDR, reboot after installing the new SCAT and finally rebooting after the upload to the 6700.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Total time from beginning of download to sounds out the speaker...25 minutes, including 3 reboots of the computer and two reboots of the 6500. Results I have observed... Did they do some work on the NB? It seems to work a little better? RX EQ seems to have been fixed. Either Compression or compression meter doesn't work like it did in v. 1.0.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    The installation went very well ... Thanks again
  • Nick
    Nick Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Was this version suppose to have had some basic persistence? I still lose the frequency when switching from one band to another. Looking at the road map I thought we'd see that in 1.0.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.