Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartsdr version 1 updates

Trevor-EI2GLB
Trevor-EI2GLB Member
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Has development of Version 1 of SmartSDR been stopped, is v1.11.12 from 2017 the last v1 update there will be,

Thanks
Trevor
EI2GLB

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Yes Development of new features for V1 and V2 has terminated Except for bug fixes
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I'm disappointed by this too Trevor.  I (~50 years+ with computers, EE) have a growing distaste for having to get online & linked to something to get anything done - and have zero faith in this for potential emergencies.  
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    An "M" series radio doesn't need a computer or being "online" to operate, emergency or otherwise.

For the other radios, while you DO need a computer or a Maestro, you do not need to "get online" to operate.  A single network cable between the radio and the computer is all the "online" you need.

And that is true for all versions of the software. 

• James Del Principe
    James Del Principe Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I can certainly understand the "No new features" in version 1 software. However, it would be really nice if the 'bug fixes' included NR and WNR that actually worked. My NR distorts audio so much it is not worth using even at its lowest level and WNR does nothing at any setting. I love my 6500 and it works great on all modes but this is one thing I think should be fixed in my current release.   Jim KD1I
  • Craig Williams
    Craig Williams Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Well, I am now running a Flex 6400 1E for Field Day. Flex and router on a 100AH AGM battery and iPhone, on battery.
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    I am possibly mistaken - but remember I did not say "connected"  I said only online:

Item: "An "M" series radio doesn't need a computer or being "online" to operate, emergency or otherwise."   

If the M-series completely eliminates the need for Windows, and the need to link to Flex for s/w and licensing this would be ... interesting.  I was concerned with standard F6xxx in maritime mobile and other marginal www-access situations.

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Quick summary:

• Internet is need for version upgrades and for SmartLink 
    • M-models are self contained (theirs is am embedded version of Windows BTW) and also only need the internet for version upgrades and for SmartLink.
    • You CAN take ANY Flex-6000 to the field (or ANYWHERE off the Internet) provided you provision a LAN or direct connection from the operating device (PC, Tablet or iProduct) that is not internet dependent.  Again the only time you need the internet is for version upgrades and for SmartLink.
    I regularly operate a Flex-6700 with a PC/Maestro/iProduct at my Island QTH where the internet bluntly sucks.  Because the internet there is so poor I usually bring the Radio and Maestro off-island to use solid internet for updates.  

SmartSDR (Windows/iOS/Maestro/M-Model) in LAN operation NEVER requires the internet.  But SmartLINK always does.  

Again SmartSDR Version 1.x while not depreciated is in the maintenance-only phase of its life cycle.  I'm thinking SmartSDR Version 2.x has also enter that phase.  The Pre-Release SmartSDR Version 0.x I think is depreciated.

You do not HAVE to use the features of a higher level of SmartSDR to benefit from the code improvements.
     So often people post they are not going to move to the latest version because they have no need for the major feature the new version offers.  I'm thinking they largely miss the opportunity to gain all the improvements they would benefit from even if they never use the "big feature" that was added.  

Interesting stuff - the move to version 2.4.9 to 2.5.1 is a biggie, as version 2.5.1 truly is "Version Two and a Half" transitioning to a subset of the Version 3 code.  While some folk seem to find this an "issue for their knee-**** complaints" I'm seeing this as providing a long term way to support Version 2 rather than depreciating that level.

It doesn't seem very likely Version 1 or Version 2 will gain any significant new features, and unless something happens that makes Version 1 not to run (unlikely at the radio end, but at the GUI Windows end something might change making that happen) one doubts that Version 1 will see any changes. 

I could have some of this wrong, and to stave off the usual comments I don't work for FRS and I cannot speak for them.  I'm commenting by looking at the same information you all are.

Steve
    K9ZW

Blog:
     http://k9zw.wordpress.com 

• Trevor-EI2GLB
    Trevor-EI2GLB Member
    edited June 2019
    I can't understand how this has turned into a tin hat I'm scared of the internet thread, I just wanted to know was there any more updates to v1.11.12 planned and the answer looks like no there is not, I personally think the newer software is too expensive but I suspose Flex aim there products at the very high end, Thanks Trevor EI2GLB
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    A good, complete reply.  (I do confess to ~luddite sentiments - after 50+ years in hamming/computers (systems, development, admin) I am a bit sad to see my old hobby drowning in the 'standard arcana' - and essentially un-field-repairable.)
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Concur.  I am personally unhappy that Microsoft/Windows is involved in any context.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Alex, You could run Dogpark on an iMac or SmartSDR IOS, then Windows is not involved. Just a alternative thought For field repair, radios like autos are more reliable today than many older radios, and don’t require the repairs. I do remember the same comment when transistors were first coming to market, but were so much more dependable. Dudley, WA5QPZ
  • Alex_KM5YT
    Alex_KM5YT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Greetings Dudley!  It is my understanding that Windows is still required at some point to load the F-boxes  -- true/false?  I, too, passed from tubes to transistors ... but having been a military brat in some unusual places, and an embassy info-security officer, I remain only impressed with the growing vulnerability of many systems in their elaboration and dependency on the continuous availability of the www.  I have harped on Flex to go to BITE & VME card cage architecture for this reason.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.