Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSdr V3 and 6000 M series radio

Andy M5ZAP
Andy M5ZAP Member
edited February 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hi,
Have read all the posts and info on V3 reference two clients and it talks about 2 maestros and or 2 occurrences of SmartSDR on PC or a mixture of the two.

There is no mention of the M frontend as one of the clients. I presume this is possible as it is really just a maestro mounted on the front of the radio ?

I too was looking forward to multi client so I could use SmartSDR on my PC and 6600m tuning knobs but again it appears that wont be possible?

Could anybody please confirm

Answers

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Yes, you can do that.

I'm doing it now with the 6600M panel and SmartSDR on a PC.

Mike 
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited February 2020
    Thanks, but no control of the SmartSDR slice with the M front panel tuning Knobs ?
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited January 2019
    Sorry, I was doing too many things at the same time.  Correct, no SmartSDR PC control with the M model knobs.

Thanks for catching that.

Mike

• Rick N4RZ
    Rick N4RZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Will a Maestro and the M controls work as the two controlling methods?
  • Andy M5ZAP
    Andy M5ZAP Member
    edited January 2019
    Thanks Michael

Might be good to clarify both those details in the release info.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I hope the V3 when it is released, probably Many Months away,, will have improvements to the performance of the radio along with many of the things folks would like to see happen.. I can imagine that the Punch list for these type of things is very long.. A lot of this will depend on the operating system one is using to run SmartSDR..

At some point in time one needs to Abandon software like Windows XP, and build a platform around Windows 10,, and OS if possible..Also specafying a processor speed and minimum memory could also be a good thing... Making things backward compatible can limit what any program can do.. Releasing V3 and stipulating it must run on a Windows 10 platform, With certain limitations on memory, etc. would allow an open door for Flex to make a big leap forward..

If you dont want to make the investment you just continue to run version 2.XX,, same reason many are still using version 1.XX.. I have NO PROBLEM with Flex charging for an update from 2.XX to 3.XX.. You get what you pay for.. In the end we need to hand our trust over to Flex...  In any case the Fun I Have with my 6600M each and every day is still out of this world...  Time will tell!!! 

Robert
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Mike Are there some function limitations that you see? I assume you are looking at a test version of the software. V2.4.9 has added a lot of options for DAX with Remote and also multi computer local networks. Looking forward to V3. The only problem I have had is developing station functionality takes away operating time. What fun! 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

I presume this is possible as it is really just a maestro mounted on the front of the radio ?

This is not really correct, it has Maestro controls and screen, but the M model radio is a transceiver and the Meastro is not. It is a radio.
  • Chip Swett
    Chip Swett Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Michael,

Control of SSDR with my Maestro will be my primary incentive for upgrading.  I operate remote base in a marginal bandwidth environment.  Often, I can't copy CW on Maestro due to bad picket fencing.  I can copy it fine on SSDR via Teamviewer...but, of course, I can't use my Maestro keying interface.  Shouldn't it be easy to take Maestro CAT commands and send them to SSDR in effect allowing Maestro to control SSDR, at least for basic functions like frequency control? 
  • Don
    Don Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I can understand upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 but not  to Windows 10.  At least not until Microsoft returns update control to the owner.  Then there is the issue of recurring fees that MS has imposed upon businesses and will likely extend to all users...you will never actually own your operating system.
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Don that becomes a personal choice for sure! I understand the concern,,, but Flex needs to do what is best for the majority of the users and also all the Future First Time Flex customers... Whatever V3 is, it has to be something that will **** Away the Ham community,, and in the end, Sell Radios, lots of them!!!
  • Don
    Don Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

I'll be one of the operators for the ARRL DX CW at K9CT in a couple of weeks.  Craig is a Beta tester for Flex...should be interesting!
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Really hope that you will come back and tell us about your experiences. Craig and K9CT is a great source of inspiration to many of us smal pistols Flex contesters "over here ..".
  • Robert Lonn
    Robert Lonn Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does this mean Flex is actually at the BETA stage of Version-3????  Or is this all speculation??? Interesting time but till I hear someone from FLEX comment, I have to lean towards Speculation and when it may happen??  Time will tell......

Robert 
  • Don
    Don Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019

Unless major problems are encountered, I think you can look for a general release around March/April.  My opinion, FWIW!

Craig has a very close relationship with Flex and is necessarily tight-lipped about everything and even though we prod him mercilessly for any tidbits of "insider" info, we don't get any!  :-)

It has been fascinating watching things progress at the K9CT station.  We operate SO2R....2 run stations and 2 multiplier stations.
    We have gone from 4 Flex 6xxx radios and 4 Alpha 87A amps to 4 Flex 6xxx radios and 2 Flex amps.  The next step is to 2 Flex 6xxx radios with multi-client and 2 Flex amps.  All give the same functionality as 4 radios and 4 amps.

Interesting times!   73, Don K9NR
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    XP isn't supported, and let's just say that I think Windows 10 is about the least reliable Operating system around. 

But I'm curious - what are the performance problems in using Windows 7, MacOS DogPark or iOS.  I keep W7 and DogPark because W10 is unreliable. Ahen an update renames all my drivers or just corrupts SSDR, Thos are what I use.  What will Flex gain by abandoning the most reliable platforms for W10 only?
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Couldn't agree more on the W10 issue. I want my Radio to work after an update. Latest Windows 10 foible - the update went through and renamed all of my DAX and other drivers to DAX IQ-XX. Took a help desk ticket to fix that one.  Meanwhile my other OS installs work first time, every time. Going to only Windows 10 OS would be like requiring all new cars be installed with 1960's Lucas Electric systems. 

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019

Michael
    I totally agree with you..

While I am normally on the bleeding edge of technology, I long ago removed unstable W10 from all my machines and went back to stable W7.

To this day, no one has been able to show me any benefits for using W10 over W7.

Yes I know Internet  Explorer is being phased out in favor of MS Edge which only works on W10, but Chrome seems better and faster.
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Happy to hear you say that Howard and Michael. All 3 desktops in my shack are W7pro. My only W10 machine is a laptop I use for benign functions like web browsing and shopping.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.