SmartSDR v3 after v2.4.9 on a 6300 / ATU Windows 10 running mostly ft8 problems (?)

  • 1
  • Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
I upgraded from v2.4.9 to v3.0.19.119.  Before the upgrade, I saved all global profiles.

1. When the update was complete, I powered down the 6300, turned off its power supply until after the 6300 stopped the green flashes as the power supply voltage level dropped.
 
2. I powered on the power supply, powered up the 6300, brought up SmartSDR 3.0.19.119 on my Windows 10 PC and connected to the 6300 (wired Ethernet from the PC through the router to the wired 6300).  I reloaded the profiles, cleared ATU memories (normally, MEM is on) and began to check out the installation.

The rig tuned and performed as expected.  It seemed to remember settings per profile and tuned as before.

I use global profiles heavily, with shared mic and transmit profiles, based on band, mode and mic.  Most changes are RF power level (full for phone, 13 w for ft8) and frequency (by band and mode).

v3. behaved pretty much as v2 had.  It communicated with WSJT-X, JTAlert and N3FJP ACLog as before.

Now that I have used v3 for a while, I've noticed some inconsistencies and issues.

The power up sequence is always the same:
1. Turn on the 6300 power supply, switch the antenna switch (Alpha Delta) to the desired antenna (usually a SteppIR BigIR), power up the BigIR controller, turn on the 6300.
2. Bring up SmartSDR. 

** -- On occasion, the main control window will not display although Task Manager shows it is running.  The initial rig connect window is bypassed and is also not visible.  I think this is a new feature.

To correct this, I kill the SmartSDR task, and verify both the DAX and CAT tasks are also killed.  I then restart SmartSDR until the main control window is functional.

The rig appears to be tuned to the last operational frequency, and I wait until the BigIR controller finishes adjusting the antenna to the frequency sent to it by the 6300.  Rather than relying on the shown setting, I select a stored global profile for the band / mode I plan to operate.  Doing so seems to reduce the probability of the next problem show below.

After the antenna settles, I turn off the ATU and turn it back on (MEM is on).  Usually, the ATU will behave as normal (the RF power and SWR meters will either not show values or may show at the far left end of the scale).  Bypassing the ATU, all normal operating frequencies  have SWRs less than 1.5:1 with the exception of 17m which has a <2.0:1 SWR.  I'm working to get it lower.  After the ATU stops "rattling," the SWR on the meter shows <1.25:1 on all normal operating frequencies.

** -- On occasion, when I select the ATU button the SWR will immediately jump to 2.5:1 and the 6300 will not tune (it continues to "rattle" for a long time and stop with the 2.5:1 SWR) correctly.  This seems most common on 17m, but I have also seen it on other bands.  If I deselect the ATU and select the TUNE button, the power and SWR readings are as expected for the frequency selected.

To correct this, I can usually reselect the same global profile which sets the same settings and the problem "goes away."  On one or two occasions, turning off MEM, and turning off and then on the ATU button seemed to resolve the problem.  MEM was turned back on.

I usually switch frequencies, by switching profiles on SmartSDR and allow WSJT-x to "follow along." 

** -- On occasion, WSJT-X does not get the frequency change.

To correct this, I exit the processes (SmartSDR, WSJT-X, JTAlert) and restart them.

I didn't have any of these above problems with v2.x.

I include my WSJT-x radio tab and SmartSDR settings below.  To my knowledge, these settings have been the same "forever."

If you have any ideas or recommendations, I welcome them.

73,
don





Photo of donh

donh

  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

  • 1
Photo of Dean Davidson

Dean Davidson

  • 19 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Mine has same startup issue turn off autostart cat and autostart dax once smart sdr is open then start them manually.
Photo of donh

donh

  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The select radio window came up on one start up, and I was able to opt out of 'last radio connect.'  Back to desired performance. 

The other issues are still in existence.
Photo of Dave - G3SBP

Dave - G3SBP

  • 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have the same problem of switching on and the main control window not displaying although Task Manager shows it is running.   Have to shut down my 6700 and restart the SDR from the Icon. Always works the second time.
Photo of donh

donh

  • 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Try bringing up the SmartSDR software with the 6700 powered down.  If you can get the log-in screen up when the software doesn't find a radio to connect to, you can select the 'Settings' pulldown in the lower right corner of the window and deselect the "On Startup, Auto Connect to last radio" option.  From then on, when you start the software you can select the radio you want to connect to whether or not your 6700 is powered up.
Photo of Dave - G3SBP

Dave - G3SBP

  • 29 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Many thanks that seems to work!