SmartSDR V2 Display Not Working

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
See the photo of the Maestro screen.  Last week we had Comcast connect a cable internet service to replace the slow AT&T DSL service.  With much more bandwidth available on Comcast it seemed we would enjoy excellent SmartSDR V2 remote operation free of dropouts.

Unfortunately, once we tried to connect back home to our Flex radio we encountered the screen shown in the attached picture.  This picture is on the Maestro but the same result shows on SmartSDR on the computer.  The radio still works but there is no panadapter activity.  On the PC if I make the SmartSDR window smaller then the spectrum will begin to display but not the waterfall.

I showed Steve N5AC (VP Engineering) this picture at the Flex booth at the Orlando Hamfest and he knew immediately that the issue was a result of how Comcast is handling Jumbo packets.  Apparently, there is some kind of standard for the handling of the Jumbo packets needed for panadapter display but it is up to each Internet Provider to follow the standard or not in the case of Comcast.

Given that Comcast is the largest (or almost) Internet provider in the USA I doubt I can get them to change their practice just so I can use my Flex remotely.  Steve N5AC agreed and commented that he had several customers ask about the same issue that day and that he felt Flex would need to do something to fix the issue.  Of course I agree.

I am posting this as information to those that might have the same issue but more importantly to ask for confirmation that this issue has been added to the Flex Issue list for resolution at some time in the near future?

John K3MA

Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 373 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 236 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I can't comment on the lack of the waterfall when using Comcast as an ISP since I never display the waterfall on any version of SSDR. I don't see how the lack of the waterfall will keep you from operating remotely. Just disable the waterfall on whatever SSDR you are using by minimizing it completely or turning it off in the SSDR for iOS app if you use that.
Photo of Scott Russell - N1SER

Scott Russell - N1SER

• 132 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
John, thanks for the heads up on Comcast. I was at the booth as well when several asked the same question. At that time I was hoping it was because they were using their hotel internet connection and not Comcast who I have. Hopefully it will be corrected soon by Flex, as they were very attentive to the issue at Hamcation. On the note of note using the waterfall... ?? What? Isn't that a major reason why we buy Flex radios? If not then I would have just got an Elecraft... lol
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Official Response
Yes, the issue is in our bug tracker as item #5122
Photo of Steven Linley

Steven Linley

• 390 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Wow, and you're not even displaying a lot of spectrum.  I clicked reply from email, which then opened my browser and I can see your picture (7.170 to 7.184 MHz).  Then I assume, when the bug is fixed it will be fixed for any bandwidth of spectrum displayed?  Is the problem doubled when displaying two waterfalls?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Yes to all questions.
Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 373 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Greg N8GD

To answer your question on why use a waterfall.

1) To see signals that you cannot yet hear.
2) To see who the DX is working in the pileup.
3) To see whos signal has poor IMD.
4) To see whos signal does not have poor IMD but is being told he is splattering.
5) To see the other QSO's on the band that are not seen because the SNR is low or the band is having static crashes.
6) To get value out of the $200 V2 fee we spent otherwise we can do remote with remotehams.com without waterfall.
7) To see the audio distribution of someones signal across the passband.
8) To see the locations and patterns of various man made and natural noise sources across the band.
9) To see several QSO's happening in a single passband.
10) To aid in determining the mode of operation of a signal.

and I am sure there are many others.

If you are uncertain of how to use or leverage any of the above use cases I outlined above feel free to contact me via email and I would be glad to demonstrate any on a teamviewer session in which you can see for yourself.

Regards, John K3MA
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 236 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
I understand all of the above, but I prefer to use just the panadapter portion of the display, but not the waterfall at the bottom.  I do use the waterfall for digital modes or CW, but prefer to not use it in voice modes.  My comment was aimed mostly at the fact that not having the waterfall (or panadapter, for that matter), does not make remote SSDR operation impossible, just less robust.  I'm glad they are looking into fixing it so we do get value for our investment.
Photo of ka7gzr

ka7gzr

• 221 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes

John,

I have Comcast and don't experience that issue. I use Comcast Business line because they started blocking some of the popular ports e.g. port 25. I have some legacy software that doesn't allow me to move ports. Also with the Business line it never changes my WAN IP address. Although not guaranteed it hasn't changed in 5 years.

Jim

ka7gzr

Photo of John - K3MA

John - K3MA

• 373 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Jim KA7GZR

Thanks for your input.  At the home location we have Comcast Business internet with a static IP and do not have the problem.  This was at a second home location in Georgia and it was a Comcast Home internet installation.
Photo of paul

paul

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I tried lowering my WAN interface's MTU to 1400 on my firewall on the comcast side. This had no effect. When I use a VPN that drops me on the same network segment as the 6700 the top graph works fine but the waterfall still doesn't. Is the waterfall issue I'm having something different than this?
Edit: Dropping the rate a ton brings back the waterfall when using the VPN, sorta. Still sucks. Probably the behavior the the VPN or something. Still can't get anything when not using the VPN. 
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Changing the MTU will not have any effect (it actually makes things worse).  This is a problem with some device between the radio and the client that is not passing fragmented UDP packets from the radio to the client so it can reassemble them into a spectrum display.  Usually it is an ISP or a router at one of the endpoints (usually the client end)
Photo of Hage

Hage

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Tim,
I have had the same trouble as John K3MA , since inttalling of SDR v2.3.9 from v2.2.8.  Both Maestro and PC(Smartlink) show the same frozen panadapter .
My 6700 is 100km from my home, network environment is very good ( more than 20Mbpm ). I was obliged to remove SDRv2.39 amd reinstall SDRv2.2.8 . Now, I enjoy my 6700 under  v2.2.8. I would like you to solve this defect soon.  thank you.

Shin  JR2KMK
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 880 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Same problem here Tim..  All has been well over the same link for 4 years but I went from 2.2.8 to 2.3.9 and immediately experienced the same problem as the original poster above.  I have tried this on different PCs also but always end up reverting to SSDR Ver 2.2.8 to continue enjoying the remote 6600.  Hopefully Flex has a good grasp on this bug (#5122) by now.   Just waiting for Ver 2.4.0 to try again before submitting a trouble ticket for assistance :)
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 881 Posts
  • 135 Reply Likes
Any headway on fixing this #5122 Bug yet?    Just tried again for the 5th time in a couple months to get upgraded to Ver 2.3.9 from 2.2.8 but I cannot get it to work via my Router VPN circuit.  Tim mentioned it may be a Router setting on the Client end?   Could someone give me a hint on what to check for settings.   I have an ASUS AC5300 router on this Client end and using the ASUS built in VPN between here and the Remote site where the radio.antennas are..

SmartLnk seems to work ok using the Maestro but I need to use the VPN link for any digital work reqquiring DAX.

Thanks for any hints.

Larry  k1UO