I’ve been using v3 since it was initially released. I had to adapt and change the way I use protocols, but I completely understand the users who feel stronger about this than I do. I will be ok with whatever the final implementation decision is by Flex.
I have been caught in both scenarios. Prior to the change, forgetting to save the protocol and after the change, messing up a saved protocol. The messed-up protocol was easily corrected by restoring it from my backup. Since I don’t have an strong opinion about this feature, I don’t feel the releases should be delayed significantly. If there will be a considerable delay, then do two point releases. I’m looking forward to the final implementation of auto-save, whatever it is.