Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR V1.8.4 installer ERRORS

Ian1
Ian1 Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Help

Hesitant on upgrading to1.8.4 but since 2 days past thought I would take a chance but no luck.

Getting install errors even though removed previous versions.

Including screen shots of 64 bit driver error on install.

Also there seems to be a timing issue for the CAT controller exactly like in some past installs but Flex had fixed this long ago.

Here are some screen shots.
imageimage

Comments

• dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    You might consider opening a help ticket.. looks to me like you have a couple things going south here.. the DAX drivers can be reinstalled by hand (there is a doc posted in the support area), that would fix the DAX driver error in the second screen shot.. the first screen shot has me puzzled,starting the software should be independent of the radio being on and that looks to me like it's trying to connect to a network resource..

Did you uninstall all previous versions of SmartSDR as well as the VSP drivers? and once that was complete did you reboot the system prior to attempting the new install of 1.8.4 ?  Also I would suggest you make sure all unnecessary applications are stopped/shutdown prior to the install if SmartSDR 1.8.4

Good luck

David

Just an FYI.. I had no issues going to 1.8.4
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ian, looks like the DAX driver was not completely removed. Go to the Flexradio website and look for Tim's explanation on removing a driver manually. It's listed in this URL https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/204017069-How-to-Manually-Re-Install-DAX-Drivers
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Bob

It is a DAX error you are correct I missed that initially.

The problem started with the Windows Installer top screen shot.

Slowly I am recovering bits of my station.

Ian
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    When you uninstall the previous version READ ALL THE POPUPS. The popup which asks about DAX asks if you want to Keep, not remove, so you have to Click NO to remove DAX. It is counter intuitive to most other applications.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I would open a support case when you have a moment.  Just a point of order, you don't have to uninstall previous versions to install the next version.  

If you don't want to wait for Support as this is a unique problem (not everyone is reporting it) you could try removing everything including VSP and start over.  

Just for yucks, ensure your system is fully patched and turn off your AV while doing the install.  Again, this is just a in case you have time.  You can follow the steps used for a Windows 10 upgrade.  Of course, Tim is the authority.  

Mike va3mw

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is probably a true statement, but once you've had a failed update, you tend to do a total cleanup before trying again, and then that becomes the normal process. At least that is how my brain works.

In v1.8.3 AND v1.8.4 the radio would not take the update on the first flash attempt. I had to power it off (power LED still lit purple) and flash it again. It did work and I thought it was just a v1.8.3 issue but two versions in a row? Just an example. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    This error is usually a permissions issue local to the PC.  If you have virus protection software or some sort of Internet security suite installed, that can prevent the installer from loading all of the necessary payload needed to install SmartSDR and the drivers.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Did you follow the best practices recommendation in the Release Notes to power cycle the radio before the firmware update?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    If you need assistance, please feel free to open a HelpDesk ticket.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't think so but I will going forward. Thanks Tim!
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For the 100th time..Flex...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE incorporate an uninstaller! PLEASE! PLEASE!
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Last I checked, you can  uninstall it from Control Panel.  Is that a problem?

Mike va3mw
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    When reading comments on the sw upgrade process I see lots of confusion. Even the upgrade notes tend to be uncertain as to what the procedure should be. I think it would be best to further automate the upgrade procedure. As a mater of course, The upgrade scrips should automatically save all configurations, delete or archive the old sw and then load the upgrade sw. This would also update and remove old aliases.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Guy's

I created a system restore prior to removing 1.8.3. Removed all Dax drivers and VSP program as well.

Next installed the 1.8.4 but the DAX drivers didn't install properly.

Next I removed this version via the uninstaller and did a system restore to go back to previous 1.8.3 version.

I was then able to load version 1.8.4 and manually load the DAX drivers. Thanks to Bob for pointing out your POST.

My Problem is version 1.8.3 still shows in Uninstaller however it says uninstaller not found. However it's there in the FlexRadio Systems SmartSDR v1.8.3 folder.

Is there a way other then Regedit to get this version to delete or uninstall?

Ian

• Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ian, Advanced Uninstaller Pro V1.2 will clean up the registry for you. Make a backup of the registry before you start. This program can do that for you also.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Thanks again Bob appreciate your help today.

Ian
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I don't intend to imply that there isn't a problem, but as part of the alpha and developer test teams, I have installed and uninstalled literally hundreds of SmartSDR installer builds over the past 3 years and I never have an issue.  I just select Change and Remove programs from the control panel and remove the version in question.  As a practice, I never remove the DAX or VSP drivers because that is totally unnecessary since they change very infrequently (we'll tell you if it is necessary to remove them).  When running the uninstaller, just select YES, YES, YES when prompted.  This process just works for me.

I will add that on my work PC, I have it clean of any Internet security or virus software other than MS Essentials. If you practice safe computing and use a good hardware firewall, these programs are usually not necessary and can cause more headaches than they prevent.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Tim Everytime there is a major update for some release error I have encounted a problem. Why are you not allowing the installer to completely remove the former SDR program especially during major updates for software that was known to have issues. In the past year this has occured twice once when we changed CAT and DAX and the second with 1.8.3. This is not the 1st time as others have raised this point. Ian
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Each installation of SmartSDR is an independent software package.  Nothing is ever upgraded in place.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.