SmartSDR v1.6 video

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • (Edited)
I ran across this video on YouTube, which deals with digital modes enhancements in SSDR v1.6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0kDWdFswc

Any rumors on the contesting enhancements that he mentions?
Photo of Barry N1EU

Barry N1EU

• 495 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
First Chris did an amazing job on that video with his mind blowing use of multiple slices to do multiple simultaneous digital modes as well as demonstrate the power of full Duplex in working multiple digital contacts at the same time.

More important it shows how much SIMPLER it has become to utilize digital modes with Flex radios.  What is really impressive is that you no longer need all sorts of external boxes and complex cabling like we did in the old days for digital modes.

@Burt
It you really wanted to show Ham Radio via WAN it is very easy to do with an iPad and a VPN or any laptop and VPN.  I have already demoed remote operations in my Grandkid's classrooms.  The kids were especially fascinated to see the pan-adapters and the ability to click on a screen and talk to people....

Even more fun were a couple of School to Space Station Contact events that I participated in... really got the kids involved with figuring out questions to ask....  You could try to get your schools on the Space Station Contact Schedules...

FYI  - Just got a tornado warning.....real weather for once...
Photo of Stan - VA7NF

Stan - VA7NF

• 459 Posts
  • 111 Reply Likes
Glad you are enjoying the rain we shipped down from Vancouver (BC) but you can keep the tornado, if you please.  Sent with a true Canadian "sorry".  p.s. this is OT but then who cares?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
First real rain after 4 year drought.. some thunder... another first.... no close lightning .

Then our cell phones started to alarm with my first ever Tornado Warning...

We live in a mostly glass house (I don't throw stones) so we have nowhere in the house that we could shelter .which was not near a window if a tornado came close...

Now massive flooding everywhere in the city...my outside drainage system was overwhelmed with the rain..my extra pool pumps are running to pump it down the hill.....so far 2.58" today on my rain gauge... which is a heck of a lot when you consider that the normal ANNUAL rainfall is only 9" a YEAR....

With the 4 year drought my water usage was down over 50% ... so the City is increasing our water rates by 40% to cover fixed costs... go figure.. it would have been cheaper to use more water... currently paying more for water than Power....

Today there is so much water than they had to open the dams to let it drain away... I guess the drought may be over...

Here is a picture that my neighbor Rob WA3IHV took of his horse and dog in the rain...

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Howard, just keep in mind, one rain, even a heavy one, does not a multi-year drought break. Do you recall the IR pictures of CA? The entire state is almost beet red. Is it almonds that the valley farmers have drained your aquifers for? No, not almonds....hmmm senior moment.
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
It's rained since Monday. It will rain for the rest of the week. The snowpack in the mountains where get most of our water is nearing full. The reservoirs are 110%nfull already. Remember we get only 9" of rain in a good year so our water systems are very efficient.

The drought is likely over.

FYI. First serious rain ever on the new roof we put on in 2011.

BTW. The color of California is mostly brown from years of no rain dead plants and dead grass.

You can see what is happening at wx.ky6la.com

BTW. Having lived in places with real weather I definitely prefer no weather.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
There have been specials on it. I was referring to the, I think, NOAA satellites measuring ground water. Whatever that nut is, that takes like 4 gal per nut the farmers are drilling into the aquifer and just pumping it dry and they are competing against each other to get the most water out. Time will tell on the drought. The North East isn't as know for 'real' weather as the south east but I bet you never went out swimming as the eye  of a hurricane pasted over. Now that is real weather. Again, not as real as hurricanes passing over the cape (Hatteras) or some of the cities they destroyed in Fl.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 925 Posts
  • 196 Reply Likes
KY6LA --> "BTW. The color of California is mostly brown from years of no rain dead plants and dead grass. "

It's not brown but golden, hence the golden state.

Trying to capture on film or digital a golden field of grass illuminated by the setting sun is an impossible feat.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1243 Posts
  • 481 Reply Likes
Howard if LAN  is so easy to setup why is Flex working on 2.0?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3762 Posts
  • 1621 Reply Likes
Because 2.0 frees you from having a PC or equivalent at both ends of a remote. WAN.
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
Those RAF chaps who flew over the Middle East will tell you like it was like a map after 1948...brown over Egypt and green over Israel.

Isn't it us British who are supposed to be famous for talking about the weather?
(Edited)
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 622 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Ken NM9P,
If you have the video expertise or whoever decides to pick up the quest
(not I) I would certainly think it essential that a training / demo video be made
showing a simple "basic" DAX setup and use, less the extremes that are now possible
that the advanced user is pretty much already aware of now in this recent K6OZY video.
btw: Chris' video couldn't be any more dead on perfect. Thank you Chris.
But, an ultra simple "basic" DAX setup video (RTTY, JT, etc) to get on the air fast and furious aimed at the newcomer who may be on the fence and mind is still set to legacy radio mode.
"We" already think this way, this is to bring in the rest of the flock so to speak.

I too am blown away at the simplicity of DAX in V1.6.
To me DAX was already simple compared to legacy interfacing but now
this has seriously been simplified much further...
Next step? The stage has certainly been set for Maestro...

Congrats to the Flex staff, excellent product!
I'm just happy to be here taking it all in...
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 622 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Ken NM9P,
If you have the video expertise or whoever decides to pick up the quest
(not I) I would certainly think it essential that a training / demo video be made
showing a simple "basic" DAX setup and use, less the extremes that are now possible
that the advanced user is pretty much already aware of now in this recent K6OZY video.
btw: Chris' video couldn't be any more dead on perfect. Thank you Chris.
But, an ultra simple "basic" DAX setup video (RTTY, JT, etc) to get on the air fast and furious aimed at the newcomer who may be on the fence and mind is still set to legacy radio mode.
"We" already think this way, this is to bring in the rest of the flock so to speak.

I too am blown away at the simplicity of DAX in V1.6.
To me DAX was already simple compared to legacy interfacing but now
this has seriously been simplified much further...
Next step? The stage has certainly been set for Maestro...

Congrats to the Flex staff, excellent product!
I'm just happy to be here taking it all in...
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 759 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Like so many others, I thought you did a wonderful job on the video and I found it very educational.  I actually watched it a few times hoping it would sink in a bit......

Question:  I'm currently using HRD for logging.  The one problem I have is when adding an entry into the Logbook, it only populates the frequency, mode etc., from slice A.   Is there a way to make it think the Active or TX slice is always Slice A?
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
This is not a CAT problem, moreover it is a HRD issue to deal with. If HRD is listening for the change of the Active Slice it could utilize the frequency of that slice. I don't believe that the new version of CAT is going to remedy this issue as it is not for Flex Radio to solve.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 759 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Thanks Jay.  I realize it's not an Issue for Flex to solve.  I was just wondering if anyone has a good way of dealing with it.  Lots of slices on the 6700.  When I pick one and have a QSO, The LOG doesn't sync with the slice.   I'm sure everyone else has to deal with this same issue.  I'm just wondering if anyone has a procedure that works better than having to type the info in by hand.

It would be pretty nice if there was a way to relabel a slice as A when selecting TX on that slice.  I don't know if STACKS or DDUtil can do this or not.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
If I understood OZY's video correctly, the new DAX/CAT coming in SmartSDR v.1.6 may address some of that.  I am making no insider pronouncements, just sharing what I thought I heard in the demonstration.....

I am making no major changes to my setups until after 1.6 is released and I learn the new routines.  I don't want to make extra work for myself when my time is limited this month.  As they say....we shall soon know.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3895 Posts
  • 949 Reply Likes
It is becoming clear after seeing that video why Flex moved the processing to the radio. It was a must. If your running a 6700 with everything running as was in the video, a Pc just could not do all the processing. This release will simply leave everything eles behind, not mentioning future releases. In my opinion.

Depending what your interested in doing for some, the radio is becoming very complicated and some things are hard to grasp, but a radio that can do as much as this can, well it tends to be that way. But things look to be very well thought out and in the right spot, so anyone willing to learn should be able to find them selves winning. Imagine doing all this on a Yeasu, could you imagine the menu's on a little screen?
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Norm wrote...

Question:  I'm currently using HRD for logging.  The one problem I have is when adding an entry into the Logbook, it only populates the frequency, mode etc., from slice A.   Is there a way to make it think the Active or TX slice is always Slice A?

The answer is no.  The "active" slice is only a user HID control construct, meaning that the only thing that an active slice designates is that the mouse or FlexControl when used will be associated with that particular slice.  There is one-to-one correlation between a slice and CAT.  And switching slice letters dynamically is not a trivial issue either because slice resources are deeply associated with persistence, which is complex enough without the slice designator being variable.

The issue here is one of HRD is not aware of a multiple slice receiver radio.  What you are asking for can be done with the FLEX-6000 API; track the transmit slice and use it's frequency.  You just have to convince HRD to scrap CAT and develop an API based interface to the FLEX-6000.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Bill - one of the use cases I have tested for 1.6 was an SO8R Fldigi configuration using a 6700 with one slice on each band. And 8 instances of Fldigi - one for each band.  

By just interacting with Fldigi, I was able to hop from band to band seamlessly by running the standard Fldigi macros.  As soon as one instance of Fldigi was instructed to transmit, the slice associated with that instance of Fldigi was automatically designated as the transmit slice, the ATU memory for that band kicked in to tune my antenna and I started transmitting.  I never touched the SmartSDR console even once.  It was very slick. 
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Hi Tim, what about being able to associate the TX RCAs to different slices? Is that part of 1.6?
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 645 Reply Likes
Hey Tim? Do you recall Hartford ARRL Centenial? I've forgotten who was there with you, Greg perhaps, but whoever it was was going to, um, provide some test bed to, Rick (as I believe...the owner of HRD now). Did anything come of that effort? I thought I had seen a flexlib in their path. Where I am going with this is, from your recollection, is this simply a 'bug' in HRDLog, as they have the facility to query slices directly? or is it more involved?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
We provided the 6000 test bed...
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Salvador - TX Relays are globally associated with the slice associated with the transmitter.

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
Could they ever be separate? Like one for one amp and another for another amp, and even more importantly, while daisy chaining transverters in the XVRT port? One for a 2M transverter and another for the 70cm one.  
Photo of Jon, EA2OT

Jon, EA2OT

• 53 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Salvador ́s question is very interesting indeed. If you work in a contest as SO2R with the Flex, I think a different TX RCA should be asigned per slice, in order to send PTT to 2 amplifiers.

Now, if you work SO2R with the 6700, both amps are activated at the same time when you TX on either of the slices...

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I still have hope, based on this....

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9188 Posts
  • 3550 Reply Likes
Well, I really didn't want to get into it at the end of this really long post that is not exactly on point with the question, but the TX profiles have been refactored so that they are associated with the antenna port (not the slice) and the TX Relay settings are just some of the parameters associated with it.  This allows you to operate in SO2R mode more seamlessly.  Especially if you use N1MM
(Edited)
Photo of Jon, EA2OT

Jon, EA2OT

• 53 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank ́s for your fast answer Tim! That ́s really good news
Photo of Al K0VM

Al K0VM, Elmer

• 610 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Norm,
  FRStacks does have a slice Swap function that would let you swap any slice into the the position that was attached to HRD.    But you'd have to do that before the contact.. YMMV
AL, K0VM
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 346 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Resistance is futile.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1243 Posts
  • 481 Reply Likes
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
That's funny!
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 622 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes

Yep stealing this pic for facebook, tu Burt!

Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 346 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
Join the resistance
Photo of Jay -- N0FB

Jay -- N0FB, Elmer

• 539 Posts
  • 213 Reply Likes
Love it Burt!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1243 Posts
  • 481 Reply Likes

This is what trying to use the 6300 is like for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4JRLS58nyQ

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1338 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
LOL... Well Burt, all I can say is that there is really inherently nothing wrong with the equipment the toddler is using.  The balls fit in the holder.  The balls themselves are functional.  It is a very clear case where the equipment was built and designed to meet all specifications except one:  Use by an untrained and perhaps as yet untrainable user.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1243 Posts
  • 481 Reply Likes
That's me trying to use digital modes.