Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR v1.6.17 ups and downs

DH2ID
DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Installing the new version went well, as always.

1. SSDR has not changed much, the microphone profile is an improvement and easy to
    set up. The radio panel is still too big for my screen and should be made scaleable or
    the phone and equalizer tab could be made smaller, but that's no big thing.
    FDV is now kept in the FDV profile and not changed to DSTAR as before.
    NFM repeater CTCSS tone is still not kept in the NFM global profile.

2. SSDR CAT has been improved, as it is much easier to see which ports are connected
    to which process and to which slice. While adding a port is much easier now, there is
    still no way to change the added com port number! It's greyed out and adds the next
    free com port number it sees. That is not good at all, and could be easily changed.
    Port selection is a big improvement, and so is the winkeyer port and hardware port.
    I have tested the winkeyer port with HRD DM780 and it works well, although I will
    be using my externel CW Keyer by ZLP electronics.

3. SSDR DAX mic stream is a big improvement, as recording is much easier now. I either
    use Audacity or VOX recorder.

4. Please give us an option to keep DAX and CAT in the Windows tray again and make
    the symbols more visible and differently colored. Being a digital-only op, I have to have
    up to 12 programs running on windows at the same time and not having CAT and DAX in
    the systray, makes my setup a bit cluttered...

All is running again, no problems with HRD and WSTJ-X - yet ;-)

73, Alex DH2ID

Comments

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Not being able to change an existing COM port number is a real PITA, especially when in the middle of setting up several digital programs. It is a bit like having to go all the way home on one's car just because a wrong turn has been taken instead of just being able to do a small route correction. Being able to change a port number would make a trouble shooting process so much easier too.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Of course you can edit COM Port Numbers

RTFM. it's called ADVANCED MODE

Click on CAT. ==>. EdIT.

RIGHT CLICK ==> ADVANCED BTW. The icons are different colors.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    just to be precized with RTFM:
    "To enable Advanced Mode, right click anywhere on the Port Edit Window and click the Advanced menu option."
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Howard, found it, it works! Sorry, I should have read the manual first...
    The icons are light and darker blue...not very visible IMHO and not in the systray...
    BTW why does a winkeyer port need a client and a CAT com port?
    When I tried the winkeyer port I connected to the client port, and this worked...
  • Dale W4AEJ
    Dale W4AEJ Member
    edited May 2020

If you are running Windows 7 you can change DAX and CAT to open in the minimized state so they do not occupy any desktop space.  Right click on the DAX and CAT desktop icons, left click on properties, and under the "shortcut' tab change RUN to minimized.

This worked on my Win 7 machine.  Hope it helps.

73,    Dale   W4AEJ

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Dale, I did that already, but the systray would be a better place, methinks...
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    We did data mining of the community and determined that the majority of users preferred not to have the icons in the system tray so we made the decision to make all of our application behave in the same manner.  
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OK, Tim, not a big problem at all. Only the missing persistence
    of CTCSS tones in the NFM profiles remains...
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Don't assume a bug is a bug before reading the doc ;-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Dale - it is easier that what you described,  Minimize CAT and DAX.  When you shut down the PC with them in a minimized state, they will open in a minimized state.  This is covered in the SmartSDR CAT doc.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Alex - for your reference, the CTCSS issue is defect #1747
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thank you Time, all my "problems" are solved now - phew! 73!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I wish all my problems were solved ;-)
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Software delivery would be so much easier without users .. I hear ya Tim ... I'm a Program Manager - have the same thoughts :)

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Where is the fun in that?  No users? ;-)
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Someone needs to tell me how Flex makes money with all the engineers being paid working on software for current non paying owners.
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    not that hard to work out ..... sales of radios/accessories provide income to the business and salaries etc go out of the business as an expense.  Baseline costs mean there will be a % on each sale that goes, by indirect route, to keeping the development teams fed and cost of hardware. And no doubt income from other non amateur areas such as flying 6700R's on spacecraft etc that provide an income. Once SSDR 2.0 comes this will then provide a revenue stream back into the business income which will then flow out as costs. I am sure it balances out quite nicely!  
  • W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    The control panel now has a scroll bar so it makes things like accessing the equalizer easy

I think the icons are fine

73  W9OY 
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    Yup, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the govt contracts at least at some point, subsidized us cheapskate hams...  Finally... our tax dollars hard at work.  8^)
    (don't tell Burt)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.