Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Smartsdr v1.6.17 How to find out which Serial Port the radio uses?

AA0KM
AA0KM Member ✭✭
edited October 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
?

Answers

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    From the short time I've spent connecting FLDIGI and Woobox Radio's S-Meters I've noticed that the COM ports listed in the configuration dialogs are paired with another COM port up 100. COM5 for a local app's use is connected to COM105 on the radio end, COM6 to COM106, etc.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    One of the things I like about v1.6.17 is that the SmartSDR CAT application is simplified and shows you only the local port to connect your applications to. I don't see any value in knowing which COM port the radio is connected to, but maybe do.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

In the Smartsdr Cat I see it would be the one  with the (Auto-Switch TX) beside the Blue-Box C or the Blue-Box C with Tcp 5002 with (no other programs running) and Slice A only running.

if this is the logic I get it.

====================================

Now how about in the computer Device Manager. How would you tell the difference between them all?

• Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    To see and set the Radio side port, enable Advanced mode:

"To enable Advanced Mode, right click anywhere on the Port Edit Window and click the Advanced menu option."

from Page 13 of the current CAT manual.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I get that but you still have know way of knowing which com port the radio is using.

There is no indication it is the radio.

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    If the install went normally, Com4 would be paired with Com104, C5m5 wiht 105, Com6 with 106, 7 with 107... The radio is connected to ALL and use ALL of the 10x ports..

AL, K0VM
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Say by chance I got into the Device Manager and had other coms physical or

otherwise and deleted the wrong comport that the radio needed.

Just saying it would be good to know which the radio run on?

Maybe I am over thinking it.

Every thing it great here just trying to understand if things would get goofed up.

Because even though a slice is not present the radio software runs with no Slice and

but yet read to and from the radio on the water fall and all the controls work.

The last version on startup you had indication of serial com ports the radio started out with.

Now it is hidden and I am trying to study and  figure this out.

Flex Voodoo..lol It has magic.

73 Jeff

ALL is OK with my radio Just asking to learn!

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't understand why you want/need to delete them.
  • Bob N7ZO
    Bob N7ZO Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jeff,

The SmartSDR program does not use any COM ports.  It talks to the radio exclusively via TCP/IP.  The CAT COM ports are only for legacy third party programs.  You can delete all the COM ports and SmartSDR runs just fine.

I hope I am answering the right question, because I am a bit confused as to what you are questioning.

73, Bob, N7ZO
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Bob Thanks for the Answer,Yes that's what I was looking for.

Some confusion on the old versus new.

I should have studied SDR block diagrams more!

Got it now. wow..

Thanks to all helping me understand.

Closed ..

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. I apologize for not having the time over the past few days to keep up with the community in real time.  This happens after a new release.

SmatSDR CAT creates a virtual com port pair.  One end connects to the third-party applications (what you see in the Control Panel) and the other one connects to SmartSDR CAT.  SmartSDR CAT then performs a protocol translation and sends it to the radio over a TCP connection. 

So there is a pair of ports.  In 1.6 it is the base port plus another port that is 100 com ports higher in value.  For example Com5 <-> COM105.

IF YOU DELETE ONE OF THESE PORTS MANUALLY THAT CAT PORT WILL FAIL TO WORK PROPERLY.  Never delete the ports manually - Use the SmartSDR CAT Control Panel to do it.

If you want to see the high numbered port, use the Advanced Mode of editing a port.  This is covered in the SmartSDR CAT 1.6 manual.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.