Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR v1.4 Update Posted

Comments

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Are we going to get the profile and persistence documentation with this release?
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Ken-

I agree with most of that, but have not suggested it has to be an either/or situation. As new software is developed it is a matter of choosing which features are most important first, and easiest to do, and will have maximum impact on sales. I simply would have chosen a different sequence.

My history with FLEX begins with the 1500, then 3000, then 6300. I don't recall this level of angst among users of the other products, just some routine problems with the hookup etc. But no great dissatisfaction with what the software will or will not do and that seems a major difference. I bought my 6300 from a very active high profile ham who, like several of his friends, dumped it shortly after buying at Dayton. He correctly saw it might be years before it became a mature product. Feedback from dissenting voices like these are not heard here for they have moved on.

My history in Ham Radio begins 61 years ago with a used Heathkit AT-1. Since then I have watched many wonderful companies bite the dust, many of them start-ups with truly groundbreaking products. They didn't listen to their customers, took off too big a bite, got behind the power curve and swerved off into oblivion. I don't want to see that happen again here. (Sorry, my background as a Hi-Tech Marketing Analyst sometime resurfaces.)

I believe there is a large army of NON-buyers just waiting for full featured next generation software to appear, either from FLEX or others. IMHO that interest does not revolve around Remote. While remoting means little to me I will probably play with it if/when comes out. But I do understand it is important to a tiny but vocal percentage of users who breathlessly monitor this forum. Unfortunately, it appears this commitment to Remote (for legal or other reasons) has been a major roadblock in the timely deployment of enhanced and improved software. We know the BIG 3 are watching like a hawk, and every delay gives them more time to plan their inevitable big money attack on this market.

Ham Radio is just a hobby. It is not important like a deadline for the invasion of Normandy. I have been happy with nearly every ham product I've owned and am generally happy with the 6300. But having put my money where my mouth is carries no obligation to conform or ignore other ideas in fear of knee-**** (and just plain ****) reactions.

Best Midwestern Wishes,

-Dave  W6OVP
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    LLoyd

My guess is that you are using the TFM Site in Uxbridge for your remote?

While I do not have your extreme weather conditions, I do have the lack of accessibility issue for periods of 3-6 weeks when I travel.  XYL and I will continue to travel as much as possible while we still physically are able to travel.

Your extreme weather issue could be solved by a ruggedized PC build to survive extremes.. not cheap but definitely available.

While my house is fully occupied when we are traveling there is no one competent at the house who could be trusted to even flip a power switch to reboot a computer without totally screwing everything up.

Originally I would call a fellow ham and have them drive to the house to reboot the radios, computers, etc.  But that could become tedious for the local hams.or were just not available when I needed them.. 

Then I tried leaving instructional videos on how to reboot things for the House Sitters... That quickly became a disaster as people can't even follow a video...or were just not available when I needed them.

Bottom Line... if it needs human intervention it will not work

My most reliable solution for remote control turned out to be to use WEMO Internet power control switches to reboot power to computers, 6700 radio's etc etc. Yes there are lots of better internet  switches out there but there is an easy to use WEMO app for my Iphone in case i need to reboot.  I use DDUTIL to control my SteppIR and Rotor.  I use the Expert 2K-FA Amp App to control my Amp.  Tower is on a wind alarm system and automatically retracts in the winds exceed 25MPH... (Only happened once in 10 years).  Power.. my station easily runs from 24-36hrs from Batteries - with a feed from regular mains and a backup generator...Tower retraction motor has its own power supply.

I have been running this configuration for more than a year.   Yes I have had to reboot it more than once when I was remote.. But that only takes a couple of minutes. 

Biggest issue so far was remembering to turn off MS Automatic Updates.
    Other than that it works great... lots and lots of Q's  Even get superb audio reports using a $26 Logitech Bluetooth Headset via iPad Remote...

As I said previously, not as neat as a Native Solution but a totally viable interim one until V2.0 finally arrives...

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    And all you would have to do is fly me over and I'd look after things for you. I promise I would not enjoy the California weather too much so you would not have to work that hard to boot me out.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Maybe we could trade house sitting tasks some day...

BTW... its finally raining (after 3 years no rain) again
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    My remote site is not on the TFM Skihill but at a nearby Marina, Howard.

I am going to reconsider all alternatives including resurrecting the 5000, I used at my home in Australia and dumping my 6500 as it looks like it's going to be a long road for that radio. The 5000 works nicely and has excellent audio.

Thanks for your comments and sharing your experiences!

Cheers!
    Lloyd
    VE3ERQ

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    The issue is that we all got spoiled by the Roadmap and the fact that miracle of miracles Flex made all the early update releases close to on time...

People started to expect new releases all the time so they are now expressing dissatisfaction when they do not get a regular release..

i disagree with you about Remote in that I believe that it is a untapped market especially since most hams today live in antenna restricted communities...

OTOH.. you may have a point about finishing the 1.5 Science Projects ASAP because lots of hams just want to Operate and unlike me do not enjoy the Bleeding Edge.
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Hi Lloyd,
    If your 6500 is in excellent condition, I would like to offer you a top wholesale price for it. Please contact me privately.

73,   Dan  KM6CQ
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ever notice how the guys across the pond seem to be so impatient.  If they were in that big of a hurry, why didn't they just go ahead and whip ****, instead of waiting for us to come and do the job for them. ;-)   ...OK.  Sorry for that.  I just finished watching "Sons of Liberty" on History Channel, and I'm also remembering Gen. Longstreet's line to Col. Freemantle from "Gettysburg".
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Things that make me impatient: 

1) Waiting for the key to the restroom at a filling station when I really, really have to ****. 
    2) Waiting for my XYL to finish applying her makeup when we're already five minutes late.
    3) Waiting for the fire trucks after I've called 911.

Things I don't mind waiting for:
    1) Software that makes an already great radio even better.

• Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hello Howard-

Indeed, sometimes a breakthrough simplification of a complex application like Remote can attract a new crowd of users and create it's own market. It's a long shot IMHO, but we shall see.

While I do not have a serious use for it like you do, I would not mind being able to sit in the living room and watch football on the big screen TV while controlling a 6000 and working DX on the iPad. But I spent too many years on the bleeding edge to enjoy the agony and ecstasy of a tough installation. .

Wish I still lived in San Diego so I could see your fine setup when are at home. Your installation is a role model showing what can be done Remotely with the 6000 series.

Best 73

Dave - W6OVP (Former San Diego)
  • L.Kubis
    L.Kubis Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    The radio is in excellent condition Dan as it's spent it's life in the box it came in. It's one of the early Signature series.

I'm hanging onto the 6500 for the time being until my networking experts and I can decide what to do at the remote site and which radio to use. For the time being the old Omni07 keeps chugging along.

Thanks for the offer. 

Lloyd
    VE3ERQ
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2015
    Drop By Any Time... It's incredibly easy to spot my house

Any and all Hams are automatically welcome PLUS I have a dedicated **** fridge and dedicated Wine Dispenser to make the visit less stressful

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    At least we were there from the start rather than turning up late, hi hi.

American 'history' is so slanted, hi hi.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    ...often used in prose like the Q-code.

Toodle-pip
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Guy,
    I use the CW abbreviations also when conversing with other hams and sometimes with "regular people"  too (mainly on twitter, text messages, etc).   Been doing it for so long it's easy to forget which ones are more universally recognized.  

CUL. Al / NN4ZZ

• Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    About the "tea dumped into the harbor".  Terrible waste of good British Tea.  
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I considered it more of a ham abbreviation of Hee as in a quiet chuckle.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

Things I don't mind waiting for:
    1) Software that makes an already great radio even better.

Fixed it for you.

With that small change, I nominate W6SDM's post, above, as "Best Post of the Week"

Peter K1PGV

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Maybe it was a waste of tea...  but let's not forget about that little incident in 1812 where the Brits **** near burned down the White House.  Not even ISIS has attempted that.  :)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Actually, according to one source I read, the telegraphic laugh we now know as "HI" was actually the railroad American Morse (Continental Morse) "HO" where the 'O' was two dits spaced further apart than an i, but closer than two e's.  It was distinctive in the rhythm of the old morse clicker.  When radio operators adopted the International Morse code, the "HO" became "HI ."

Technically, using morse/CW shorthand and Q Signals on phone is not "proper" procedure, but it has become "common" procedure on the ham bands.  Procedural prosigns, shorthand and Q signals have become part of the "amateur jargon" or "hamspeak."
  • Dave - W6OVP
    Dave - W6OVP Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    ...the telegraphic laugh we now know as "HI" was actually the railroad American Morse (Continental Morse) "HO" where the 'O' was two dits spaced further apart than an i, but closer than two e's...

THE RAILROAD TELEGRAPH

I'm not sure if the above is true, but the original Railroad Morse was my first code language. I learned it at age 8 or 9, (during WW2), taught by my Rock Island Railroad telegrapher father. He set up a key and sounder on a board with a battery and we would practice sending to each other after school. When he retired from the RR he became a "full time Ham", XTRA class, and enjoyed very high speed CW QSO's with other retired telegraphers using their "old" code on the ham bands. (Yes, it is legal).

The RR code was soon found to be unsatisfactory for radio use due to the odd spacings involved in the letters O and C and R and Y and perhaps others I've forgotten. With the new element of static crashes and quick fades and other interference to radio communication the RR code dropped too many characters. Wired telegraph OTOH is rock solid except for those rare times when lightening will strike somewhere along the line and add a click or two. But on those occasions all stations along the line heard that error so the last few characters were simply resent.

While the radio folks were at it, the numbers and punctuation in RR code are totally illogical. So the new Radio code eliminated funny spacings, funny lengths such as for the letter L, and totally reorganized the numbers and punctuation. This is the new code we use today.

-Dave  W6OVP

• IK6DLK Fabrizio
    edited June 2020
    Last day January ... no trace Smart SDR V.1.4
  • IK6DLK Fabrizio
    edited November 2016
    Only words ......
  • Nick - W2NER
    Nick - W2NER Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree with you, don't promise what you can't deliver.  It has been close to 4 months of open words.
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I don't fault them for taking their time, I do fault them for setting dates

Try writing software some time. I mean real, complex, software with multiple subsystems that interact.  There are virtually no software projects that ship on their original schedules.  It's a *lot* more complex than fixing computers or changing your oil.

Mostly you guys really just should stop whinging about this.  Do you think it somehow helps?  That Flex will get all motivated by your negative feedback?  What do you hope to gain?

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The stuff coming out in 1.4 didn't exist a year ago.  This is invention, not assembly.  Stuff happens when it happens.  Sure, sooner might be for fun but stuff has to get invented first.

Imagine if the Wright Brothers had their first flight a hundred years sooner.  The South would have likely won the Civil War and the guys up in Canada would all be using W or K calls. 
This discussion has been closed.