Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR v1.4 Available Now

Weeeee !

First to download (I think) :-)

Comments

• Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    Pfft LOL 2nd :)

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes!  Yes!  Yes!
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    post a screen shot of the properties
  • Michael - OZ1MDF
    edited March 2017

Here is a screenshot from during installation :-)

• Lyndy Brannen
    Lyndy Brannen Member
    edited March 2015
    now installed, yellow update is halfway done./
  • Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    Hats off to FRS and all the staff for the hard work on this. One down, one to go!
  • Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016

Looking nice!

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The link for the user guide 404s.
    I hope to see the profiles and persistence documentation being published soon.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    It appears that SmartSDR CAT installed before the virtual serial port service could start.  Manually start SmartSDR CAT.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Give it a little while and flush your browser cache.  The server is being hit a little hard right now.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I can tell <g>.
    Thanks Tim.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    All good here - some interesting changes. THANK YOU!

• Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    As far as I can make out, you have to install it to see the release notes.  Has anyone installed it yet?  I want to know, particularly, whether I can have both 1.3.8 and 1.4 available.  I have a remote installation and am currently running SmartSDR on the remote "shack" PC and not on the home PC.  Obviously, I want to try out 1.4 on the home PC.  But, I also want to be able to run either 1.3.8 or 1.4 on the Shack PC in case I run into any difficulties.

I don't expect to be able to run 1.3.8 and 1.4 simultaneously; I don't even expect to run 1.3.8 at home (obviously).  What I would like to be relatively sure of is that if I have trouble with 1.4 (either at home or at the shack) that I can exit, perhaps cycle power (at most) and then bring up 1.3.8 at the shack.  I presume this works, but does it?

A somewhat gutsy thing to do would be to do the shack upgrade remotely.  I do have a separate ability to toggle the RCA plug, so I can make the rig shut off and "reboot" as directed.  I just don't get to see it!
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    You can leave both versions installed, but it will reflash the radio as you try to move between the versions.   It's also VERY important to not run the old DAX & SmartCAT with the new version and visa versa.   To do this cleanly,  I would recommend deleting the shortcuts to SmartCAT and DAX from your Startup folder and launch them manually.   I've been using this method to regress various versions.   Again, you will need to re-flash the radio each time you switch, and that in itself can be risky if it fails, especially remotely. 

Please remember:  You cannot remotely reset the radio to defaults.  That requires the two-finger or one-finger salute from the front panel.  That is sometimes a requirement to get weird bugs out of the system. 
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Listening to Dudley yesterday on the 14.329 flex net, it sure sounded like it was SOON!  He didn't really say it, but if you listened very carefully, one had the feeling it was coming in the next day or so.

A Huge Congratulations Guys. I know reading the various reports this was a very big undertaking.

Brent  W8XG

• Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Man the waterfall is sure smooooooooooooooth !!
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    There were significant optimizations in waterfall pan and zoom.  Click and Drag the numbers to dynamically zoom in and out.  It's so smooth,  I was doing that for HOURS after that was added to the Alpha.  I'm a GUI nut and that was an exciting day for me.  :)
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Works good! Lasts a long time! Tastes like Cake and Ice Cream, Happy Birthday 1.4! Hey Guys, have a cigar!image
    In before the announcement,
    somewhat late for the Install,
    WEIRD!
    73, Jay - NO5J
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Updating remotely is risky as there was a bug in v1.3.8 that may require a manual reboot necessary. So long as you can handle that, you're probably in good shape.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Oh man, Drag zoom is cool!
  • Michael - OZ1MDF
    edited December 2016
    Strange, even after rebooting PC, the issue remains when I try to launch CAT 1.4.
    Fortunately I have no real use for CAT (yet). DAX and SDR itself seems to work very very well. I feel a bad flu comming on. I just might have to stay home from work tomorrow :-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Did you uninstall the FlexVSP drivers before installing SmartSDR v1.4?
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020

Yay!

That has GOT to be the LONGEST list of bug fixes I've EVER seen in the point release of a product.  Seriously.  And those are just the "customer facing" ones?  Over 2,300 commits?  Yikes.

Nice work, folks, on releasing a solid product with so many changes.  That's impressive by any measure.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Yes, those are just the customer facing issues.
  • Brent Parker
    Brent Parker Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Awhile ago, I was un-installing 1.3.8, installing 1.3 and back and forth chasing an issue. When ever I un-installed SmartSDR I checked the box to remove the DAX drivers with removing SmartSDR. I'd then remove the FlexVSP drivers too.

I'm assuming that is the correct procedure to get a "clean" install.

Thanks Tim,

Brent W8XG

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Download finished at 20:32 Z
    Installed and running at 20:40 Z
    I don't have much time to play because of a meeting tonight in half an hour.

Initial impressions:
    Display is much cleaner - both the pan and waterfall.
    I need to readjust all of my display settings - Gain, Rate, AVG, FPS, etc. because they have all changed in the upgrade and the display seems faster and sharper.  Not a problem, and a side-effect of the display improvements.

A quick play with NR & NB... they seem a little different?  Is it my imagination? I didn't see much mention of DSP in the release notes, other than "Transmit doesn't mess up NB."

I like the help hints and color coded buttons in the DAX control panel!

I haven't tried the remote yet, that will happen this evening after my meetings. and after installing software in the laptop.

Thanks to the FRS Team!

Ken - NM9P
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    No, removing the DAX drivers is not required.  And I recommend not removing them either.
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

I can't update until tomorrow. How is tuning using the Flex Control at band edges? Does the screen scroll smoothly. Can you tune rapidly then stop and not have the tuning go on by itself for a ways.

TIA

Gary - W8EEY

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That has been a feature for several updates, but it is a lot smoother now.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    "A quick play with NR & NB... they seem a little different?  Is it my imagination? I didn't see much mention of DSP in the release notes, other than "Transmit doesn't mess up NB.""

Some things improved serendipitously with other improvements...  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.