SmartSDR v1.10.8 how long to upgrade?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I downloaded the upgrade for SSDR v1.10.8. I installed the upgrade on the computer and restarted the PC.

I went through the upgrade process in the 6500. It restarted once and then turned back on. The power light is purple and the screen says "UPDATING SOFTWARE" and the progress bar on SSDR is 100%. it has been about 25 mins and nothing else has happened. Seems to be hung up?

Kent
NC6B
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 117 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
Same here. I quit SSDR (rebooted computer) and powered down the 6500 (unplugged it). Powered it back up and it came up saying it was updating software. Started SSDR back up an in a few seconds it finished, connected and has been running fine so far.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 827 Posts
  • 274 Reply Likes
My 6700 took the upgrade in about 3-4 minutes with one PC reboot. 
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 281 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
I had two reboots I believe and probably 5 min. One reboot of the computer and radio and we were in business. Maestro went smoothly as well

Mike
N9DFD
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 117 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Kevin thanks. I did the same,

I could not get the 6500 to power down by pushing the power button. I had to turn off my power supply (scary). I rebooted the PC, turned the power supply back on and the radio turned on by itself. The purple light was still on and the screen saying "UPDATING SOFTWARE" was still there. I heard a few clicks from the radio and about a min later it powered down.  It powered back up saying "Calibrating". It then did a normal power up and seems to be working fine.
 Whew!
Kent
NC6B
Photo of NX6D Dave

NX6D Dave

• 314 Posts
  • 96 Reply Likes
Did you hold the power button down?  The radio should power off, regardless of its internal state, if you hold the power button down.

In any event, sometimes updates hang up like this.  I've been told by those who write the software, that if the progress indicator goes to 100%, and sits there for a few minutes, then the thing to do is force the power cycle on the radio, shut it all down and restart everything.  You should find the update is complete.
(Edited)
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 117 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I tried that. I held the button down for 15 seconds and nothing happened. The only way was to cut the power to the radio by turning off the power supply.

Kent
NC6B
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I did my 6700 remotely (I figured what the heck, I took the risk)...SSDR showed the update was at 100% but it never finished.  No idea what the radio itself was doing, but after about 20-30 minutes I finally just closed and reopened SSDR and it was happy.  Update finished successfully, I guess. :)
Photo of Joe - KK9TT

Joe - KK9TT

• 23 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Sorry some are having troubles. Mine took just a couple of minutes followed by a power cycle . . . and all was well.
Photo of Kevin

Kevin

• 931 Posts
  • 271 Reply Likes
No real trouble I hope. Just an extra step for some? So far, it sounds like the install has been successful.
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 172 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Just upgraded.  Took about 5 minutes for 6300 and Maestro.   Seems to work ok.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes
Official Response
Updating the firmware should only take 4-6 minutes at the most.  Occasionally the radio will not respond to a reboot command after a processor is updated.  This is not out of the ordinary.  If this happens, power cycling the radio will either (a) complete the upgrade or (b) rest the radio so that a subsequent upgrade of the firmware completes normally.
Photo of Kent Olsen

Kent Olsen

• 117 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Tim

I held the power button down for a count of 15 and nothing happened. The only way to get the radio to power down was to turn off my power supply. All is fine now.

Thanks
Kent
NC6B
Photo of Wayne VK4ACN

Wayne VK4ACN

• 160 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Upgraded here in about 4 mins after a couple of reboots, no problems
Photo of Jerry - W2TXB

Jerry - W2TXB

• 90 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Same here... no issues and definitely no problems (that I know of). The AT-Auto tuner "follows" the radio well using an older FTDI USB-RS232 adapter cable. Will be doing some on-air work later to be sure it all works OK. The CAT and DAX  connections to FLDigi are still good, too.

Nice work, again! :)
(Edited)
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 287 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
I successfully upgraded my FLEX-6300 - no issues at all. The new version fixed an issue I had with FlexVSP upon reboots - very happy about that!  The 6300 has a dynamic (DHCP) assigned IP.

Unfortunately, when I applied the same update to 1.10 beta to my FLEX-6700, which has a static IP address and is located remote across VPN several hundred miles away, things do not appear to have gone well.  The software update was applied via the local PC next to the 6700 (not over the VPN) via an RDP session.

It appeared the update to the 6700 completed, but then the 6700 disappeared from the SmartSDR Radios list box and did not return.  It's been almost an hour.

I have rebooted (powered cycled the 12 VDC supply) several times - still no 6700.  It's static IP address is not responding to ping requests and still not showing up in radios list.  I have opened a Help Desk ticket at this point.

Rick
W5FCX
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
RDP is also how I did mine.  Something I just thought of, I guess for serious remoting, we could just point a webcam at the front of the radio and load Skype or something to see what it's actually doing (LED color, etc).
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 287 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Good idea! Yeah I'm planning to install a web video camera so I have alive view.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.