Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR suddenly saying 'license required'

Phil M0VSE
Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I have been using my 6500 for the last 12 hours or so on the WPX RTTY contest and it has worked flawlessly. I had in input voltage issue with my 13.8v PSU and it caused the flex to crash. When I restarted it, both my Maestro and SmartSDR are saying "License Required"

I have tried a factory reset but it didn't make any difference. I am definitely licensed for v3 on this radio but it seems to have forgotten.

I had this happen when the EU repair center replaced the SD card last year so guess that somebody will need to connect and sort it again but I suspect that puts an end to my contest?

73 Phil M0VSE

Comments

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    You can always downgrade and try. What version are you on? 
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I am on 3.1, when this happened before, Tim said that it is caused by a corrupt license db so I suspect this may be the same problem. In which case I will probably need to downgrade to v1 if I want to use it at all?

I'm all for companies protecting their rights but it seems to be a common trend nowadays that these protection methods can get in the way of genuine use of a product when something goes wrong. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Don't only have to downgrade to V2?
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    No exactly the same problem. I have downgraded to v1 temporarily as v2 was still asking for a license.
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    almost sounds like your serial number is corrupt and the license server don't recognize the radio
  • Dean Davidson
    Dean Davidson Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    try going back to a previous backup in case you have a corrupt file on the software that is used in all versions and reinstalling may not be overwtiting.
    if that no help open a ticket be next guess
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The problem is nothing to do with SmartSDR for Windows (or Maestro) it is a problem with the license database stored 'in the radio' so reinstalling SmartSDR won't help unfortunately.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited February 2020
    You must be running SmartSDR v3.1.8 for the radio to contact and update the license in your radio.  Using a lower-numbered version does not have the necessary TLS version to complete the security handshake.

It is possible that the radio crash that resulted from your power supply issue corrupted the file system on your SD card too. 

If you are still having issues, I highly recommend opening a HelpDesk ticket. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.