Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Purchase?

Gary Schulz
Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
I am very sorry if this question sounds completely dumb and if it offends anyone, but I have been away from this hobby for an extended time and I was just trying to upgrade/update/bug fix my FLEX6700.  I just downloaded what I think is the latest version of SW (v2.4.9) and I am shocked to see that I need to buy it?  $200 for me to update my radio that I already paid many thousands of dollars for?  Am I just looking in the wrong place for the current update for this radio or is it now orphaned because I need to spend $200 for every SW update.  I think I am a little disappointed here...

Gary

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019

You can always study the mathematics of the FFT, learn to program for Windows which takes years, spend endless hours of debugging. Learn the mathematics of digital filters, the mathematics of digital modulation and demodulation, I could go on for hours. I find that price of 200 dollars is very generous. I don't know how they can do it for that.

Jim, K6QE

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You can always use V1.9 for Free V2 has many new features added that you need to pay for
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2020
    Hi Gary

Yes, that is correct.  From the first time that SmartSDR was announced, this was going to be the plan for new versions.   However, you can continue to run V1 for as long as you wish as it will not expire.

V2 has a large number of improvements, include SmartLink for remote operating, DX spots on the waterfall and more that can be found in the SmartSDR readme files.

Mike

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    “Major” upgrades (whole digit left of the decimal) are available for purchase. They are not required to use your radio at whatever level (1, 2, 3...) you’re already at. Increments within a release (2.1, 2.2, 2.3.9, etc) continue to be at no charge. They may be applied at any time, provided you’re licensed for the major release version they apply to. You may download and use whichever 1.xx version you find most appropriate for your operating needs. The older versions are maintained on the Flex website. Welcome back!
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I was hoping to avoid sarcasm but having been in the consumer/industrial/enterprise wireless industry myself for quite some time it would appear to be rare to have to pay for new features and especially bug fixes.
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thanks Michael.  I will spend more time researching the new features and benefits.  Will it allow me to do remote access on an Android platform?
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Gary,

KY9LA said it in a nutshell.  SmartSDR v1.9 is still available and can be downloaded & installed on your 6700 at no cost.  SmartSDR v2.4.9 adds many new features which you may or may not want or need.  If you want the new features, you have to pay $200 for a license to use v2.4.9.  If you do not want the new features, you can continue to use v1.9 forever.  If there are some new features in v3 when it is released, pay the $200 & you will get all of the features added in v2 as well as the new features in v3.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Many thanks for the replies.  I will do my homework and decide which way is the best path forward based on my usage.

Gary
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited December 2018
    Hi Gary

At this time, no.  

That being said, there are wonderful opportunities for those who actually develop Android apps to build their own client.  We have all the hooks in place to make this happen.  The IOS client was built by one person in a short amount of time.  There is an entire API platform that would allow both Android and Linux developers to jump in.

Are there no Android developers in Ham radio who own a Flex?

Mike

• Art - N4QNT
    Art - N4QNT Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hello Gary, so the way it works now is, if you had a 1. somthing version with SSDR any update or patch download to 1.9.999 is free. It’s when Flex rolls out a major update like 2.0 which introduced Smart Link to create seamless remote operation with your Flex is when we have to swallow that $200 pill and for future .0 versions.. So the positive outlook for me is, ok I’m keeping a great company going and paying for Accountability! Great customer service and the best tech support hands down in the amateur radio business.
  • K2CB Eric Dobrowansky
    K2CB Eric Dobrowansky Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    And WHEN might we see V1.9? There's been no update to V1 since V2 came out. Wasn't there talk of a V1.x release, rewritten based on V2 code, addressing known issues, to be released once V2 was stabilized? Is this still the plan?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    It happens all the time Gary.  Our IT shop pays hundreds of thousands of dollars each year for maintenance contracts with hardware and software vendors for support and software upgrades.  Two hundred dollars every couple of three years is dirt cheap for tech support and upgrades.  Far cheaper than buying a new radio every two or three years.  People naturally complain because they don't understand this model and it's not the norm in amateur radio.  Flex is making bug fixes, major improvements and adding user suggested features where other vendors (Elecraft, ICOM, etc) are making bug fixes and maybe some minor improvements.  Pay the $200 and enjoy your new radio !  :)
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    V1.11 is the last free version of SmartSDR.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited December 2018
    Correct.  V1 is complete.  
  • DaveC
    DaveC Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    I have been running 1.11.12 since Oct 2017 with no issues (knock on wood). But I mostly do CW and don't do remote. So I am happy with it.
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Gary, each major software upgrade beyond 1.x is an optional purchase (2.x, and up), at $200 a pop, but as noted above, your 6700 will work just fine using the 1.x software. 

The major feature added to 2.x is its ability to control the Flex 6xxx series rigs remotely, (and other smaller features were also added).  If the remote feature is not that important to you, you won't miss too much by staying with 1.x.

Another thought. The 2.x software has been out for awhile now.  You might want to consider just continuing to use your 1.x software (update to the latest 1.x version), then wait to see what new features 3.x brings.  There's no word on when (or even if) the 3.x software upgrade will be released, but with the sales of the 6400/M & 6600/M I suspect 3.x will be coming eventually.
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Is there any reason to believe there ever will be a 3.x
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited December 2018
    Yes in answer to your direct question
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Have some faith Superman! :)
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Michael, wasn't there a time when those who bought their 6700s got the upgrade to Vers 2 when it came out? You know the signature series?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Correct The original Signature Series 6500/6700 purchasers who put down deposits on radios before they were released included a Free upgrade to V2. I had one of those Easy to tell...there are signatures on the bottom of the radio.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    KY6LA
  • Johan _ SE3X
    Johan _ SE3X Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Very very much look forward to multi-client functionality in 3.0 .. For me a deal breaker for spending the $200 
  • Chris DL5NAM
    Chris DL5NAM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    ... they was named "Limited Edition"  at upper right corner - i have one too
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    KF4HR 2.x already does a lot so why a 3.x? I would get it if it has some of the following, be able to send digital modes without a computer, adjustable band segmentation, copy Morse code, be able to save voice recordings (what Elecraft already has) boot up that takes only 10 seconds.
  • Gary Schulz
    Gary Schulz Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Interesting.  Mine is a "Signature Series" and I bought it while being wait listed before production... I guess the update to v2.x (cost or no cost) isn't automatically determined when you do the download based on S/N of the particular radio?
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Are there signatures on the bottom panel. If so, call Flex with. Ur serial number as V2 is free
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Gary,

Contact Flex support.  They should be able to verify your radio s/n & unlock the update.  When they were rolling out v2, there were several instances where an eligible radio was not in the database.

73, Ray, K9DUR
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Got a point with that boot up time thingy Burt...  Now my new SS Amplifier is waiting those precious minutes for the radio to boot up ;-)
  • Scott Russell - N1SER
    Scott Russell - N1SER Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Burt, really those features should be added to v2 since some (except dig w/o pc) should already be in the current version. Let's hope they get added and no have to pay for an upgrade to get them.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.