Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Profile Storage

Wayne
Wayne Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows

When a profile is created and saved what directory is the profile saved in and what is the names and formats for those profile files. Is the format of the profile stored files available so that they can be interpreted programmatically by a created utility program external to SmartSDR.

Also is there a way to have an exported profile be sent somewhere besides the radio such as a file.

I am interested in a utility which can display what each profile settings have been made and show what they are using a utility program.

I am thinking of possibly creating such a utility if I can gather enough info and figured I would ask before I explored since I don't want to recreate the wheel if it already is accessible and exists.

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    The profiles are stored internally in the radio. 

You can export/back them up from SmartSDR. 

The format seems to be proprietary. 
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Are they stored in a file in the Flex Radio directory on the computer running SmartSDR?
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Exported persistence and previously saved profiles are exported to a single date stamped file to the PC directory of your choice.  I know of no means of reading their contents.  

AL, K0VM
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thanks ... now were cookin with gas!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    They are stored in the radio's internal memory. 

As Al said, you can export them but there is no way that we know of to read them.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Would be AWESOME if there was a profile editor that you could check off slices you want, frequency, filter, power, etc etc etc.  Make a duplicate of one profile and edit and save as another.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not exactly what your looking for but FRstack by w3ii (aa3rk) does provide another means of managing ( sort of) slices..
    AL, K0VM
  • NX6D Dave
    NX6D Dave Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Profiles and persistence data are stored in a database in the radio.  I don't know what sort of storage is used, perhaps flash memory.  A "factory reset" will wipe it out and replace the profiles with the standard set of default profiles.

The only way to save Profiles and Persistence data against this sort of loss is to connect to the radio with SmartSDR for Windows, then use the Profile management tools to save a copy to the PC's files.  My understanding is that the data is encrypted (I don't know why) but that is the reason they don't offer an outboard editing tool (I would write such a thing if they would let me).

It is good practice to save your Profiles and Persistence data after you make changes to profiles, and before updating to a new version of the software, just in case.

I think a Profile editor would be extremely useful, if for no other reason than to make it clear exactly which parameters are saved in each profile type, and to make it simple to make global changes.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    It’s an SD card. That said, it’s not a user serviceable part and not meant to be removed from the radio.
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018

So that being said you could write an API file which would then get all the settings of a loaded profile then have the program write the settings to a file and do this for every loaded profile in the radio.

Then you could create profiles on your computer made with say an excel spreadsheet and run them through your program which then takes the profile settings from excel and creates an API batch file and saves it.

Then you connect to the radio select the created profile and execute the batch file sent to the radio via the network connection which then sets all the radio settings via API.

Now you can go to the radio profile menu and save a new profile with a new name which matches the profiles you externally created on you computer with the program you developed.

So then it would not matter if it was encrypted or not as long as you can obtain all the profile saved settings by the API program commands to read the radio profile settings once they are loaded.

The API can even load new profiles also I believe so the whole profile thing could be totally automate on the computer program you created.

A big project but could be done and you could even have an overview file to view all the settings of current radio profiles after you program gets the settings via the API.

Always thinking out of the box :-)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.