SmartSDR nickname regression

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
I see no source code regression in Radio.cs that would cause this and no indication in Changelog reflecting this.
The discovery panel in SSDR properly reflects the radio Model, Nickname, and Callsign. However, these are not reflected in the radio marquee (banner) as they previously were.

I don't consider this a big deal but it is a regression.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
bump
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

Eric - KE5DTO, Official Rep

• 659 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
Walt,

Can you share a screenshot of your SmartSDR Setup window showing the selection?  What does show up in the radio LCD?  The FLEX-6700 I use for development has my callsign in it and it continues to show up as I would expect here.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
Mine used to as well. On, what I call, the discovery page, showing the discovered radios, where I have only the one it is easy to select. Just selecting it shows all the fields populated properly. In my code, not to conflate the two, I do see the vitadiscovery packet fully populated. I know the radio knows my call and nickname. It just no longer shows up on the banner (marquee) left of the on button.

The radio LED simply says Flex-6500.

Thanks Eric!
(Edited)
Photo of Abed - AB5ED

Abed - AB5ED, Employee

• 20 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
It looks like the "Model" button is currently selected.  If you press the "Callsign" button does the banner get updated?
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 478 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
When this feature was initially added, this actually confused me at first too, and I've seen other posts with the same issue (not realizing those are buttons to click).

I think the confusion stems from combining the label next to the text field as a button, instead of leaving the labels as plain text and having a separate drop-down option to select which one to be active.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
I likely set that up @ version 1.2.x or maybe it was 1.1.x. It's been set and remained valid over multiple releases, likely 4 or 5 since I got the radio well over a year ago. With 1.4.11, or maybe it was 1.4.3 it disappeared. The model label is always enabled. So something in the upgrade of, likely, 1.4.11, or maybe 1.4.3 or 1.4.0 altered the innereds of the radio to not display it. SSDR doesn't control that and, by virtue of those fields being populated (and they are in the vitadiscoverypacket) the radio knows what they should be. This is not a case of how do I change the banner, it is why did the radio stop displaying it.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 478 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Oh, so you're just saying that the selected "Callsign" changed back to "Model" after the last upgrade? (in API language, this would be the 'screensaver' i believe)  I thought you meant that you couldn't change the display settings at all.

Probably just an unintended side effect of the internal radio database upgrade, I didn't personally have this problem when I upgraded.
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
No, not exactly Robbie. The model was always Flex-6500, that hasn't changed. Very early on, within a month or two, I set up nickname and call. That survived multiple upgrades. It did not survive this one. Before I added the Nickname and Call data into those TextBoxes, they were blank in the discoverypacket, pre-vitaDiscoveryPacket, they were blank. Looking at the UPD data in wireshark, they were blank.
Once I filled in those fields they flowed into the radio changing the banner, to the left of the on/off switch.  The became part of the, once per second, discovery broadcast and later, the VitaDiscoveryPacket.

They are still part of the VitaDiscoveryPacket (the radio knows they exist) and the RadioChoice (or Discovery) dialog box, to this day, reflect the data. The data did NOT get wiped. It just isn't appearing in the banner box, LED, Marquee whatever one chooses to call it.

I don't mean to sound terse, I am running out of ways to explain this and I am pretty sure I speak excellent English.
To be sure, from what I've read in recent weeks there are others who have had worse experiences upgrading to 1.4.11. That doesn't mean I did not experience a regression and I very much followed the upgrade instructions.

Here is what gets sent:
sending cmd C6|info

Here is what gets received:
received reply  R6|0|model="FLEX-6500",chassis_serial="3413-0588-6500-5922",name="Walt",callsign="KZ1F",gps="Not Present",
atu_present=1,num_scu=1,num_slice=4,num_tx=1,software_
ver=1.4.11.60,mac=84:7E:40:39:04:2E,ip=192.168.0.11,
netmask=255.255.255.0,gateway=192.168.0.1,location="",
region="USA",screensaver=model,options="None"

Neither of them are in the banner/marquee LED thing
(Edited)
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 659 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
"screensaver=model"  -- Well there's yer problem.  ;)

The "screensaver" is what the LCD shows.  Right now the option to display the Model is what has been chosen.  Click the button next to the Nickname and I suspect your problem will be fixed.

Update:
I missed the above issue.  Why it changed, I can't explain offhand.  Perhaps this entry was defaulted after the update for some reason.  It is easily changed back.
(Edited)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 640 Reply Likes
thank you.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 478 Posts
  • 77 Reply Likes
Eric: you only have two flex radios on your network?  Somehow I find that hard to believe. ;-)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8957 Posts
  • 3383 Reply Likes
2x20
Photo of Eric - KE5DTO

• 659 Posts
  • 199 Reply Likes
I have a filter for just the ones that are on my desk.  :)