Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR/N1MM+/RTTY?

Are there any setup "How-tos" out there for SmartSDR & N1MM+ for RTTY?

Answers

• Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Sorry just noticed you said RTTY!!! The N1MM setup should be much the same though (apart from the CW macros). Once you have N1MM+ talking to SSDR, the rest is just configuring your RTTY program of choice to use the correct DAX ports.

73 Phil
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Which rtty engine did you want to use ?
  • Mike NA5U/K5D/K1N
    edited September 2015
    Mike,
    MMTTY initially then add 2-Tone. Thanks.
    Mike, NA5U
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

Ok I do not know of a specific video, but it is basically a two step process. 1. Config N1mm+ w/ MMTTY then  2. Config  N1MM+ w/ flex if you have not done so already. Have you had success with either ?

I have both running on mine for some time now, however, I tried to incorporate 2tone once but failed so I will be of no use there.

• Mike NA5U/K5D/K1N
    edited September 2015
    Mike,
    Thanks and I'll do that. I appreciate your help.
    Mike
  • km9r.mike
    km9r.mike Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015

If you have any questions please ask. I can also provide screenshots to help w/ ur setup. You may want to incorporate FLDIGI as well. It does not have the rtty filters like MMTTY however I think it produces the cleanest AFSK rtty sig out there and w/ the Flex SS filtering I have not found a need for dual rtty filters. Plus FLDIGI's rtty window has a zoom capability making centering of rtty sigs easy during S&P . As you know though, 2tone also assists in centering over what MMTTY provides : ).

• Mike NA5U/K5D/K1N
    edited September 2015
    Mike,
    I would appreciate any screen shot you have. The only thing that is working is the 6500 and N1MM+ track the frequency. So any thing you have would be great. I probably need to use FLdigi because of the AFSK. I have been an FSK guy up to this point. So, I'll download it and have it ready.
    Mike, NA5U
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I've been knocking my head against the wall trying to figure out how to configure N1MM Logger+ with the Flex for RTTY.  For the most part, what I have works.  What's missing is the right combination of values to put into the various offset fields to get everything to line up.  So far the closest I've come is with MMVARI.  For this I have the Flex in RTTY mode with the filter set to 400 and use -85 as the MMVARI RTTY alignment frequency.  I also have disabled "Turn Auto TRXUpdate On" option.

This configuration will let me click on a signal in the panadapter and watch it decode in the DI window.  It will also cause the mark frequency to be logged.  Now if I click on a spot in the bandmap, the slice will move as expected and line up perfectly and MMVARI will start decoding.  But the only reason it starts decoding correctly is because of that 400 Hz filter.  Since MMVARI only sees one signal, it immediately locks on.  The transmit frequency is still set far off to the left at the slice frequency.  If I hit the "NET" button everything lines up and I can reply to the signal.  But, I have to hit the "NET" button every time N1MM Logger+ moves the slice.  That problem can be fixed by adjusting the XIT/RIT values for the slice.  But now clicking on the signal in the panadapter isnt right.  I've played with FLdigi and can get it fairly close too but still not perfect. 

So... what am I missing?  I've done some searching and cant find anyone else complaining. So it's  got to be me.  Clicking the panadapter, clicking the bandmap, and getting the right frequency into the log should all be seamless.  My head will feel much better when I stop knocking it against the wall.

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Mike, I used the Flex SO2R setup for N1MM+ to get ports setup and I modified them for RTTY.  Here are some screen shots of my setup.  Hope it helps.

I was doing a pseudo SO2R with my 6500 and it worked great.  I used N1MM+'s RTTY program because I was using MMTTY with my main logger, DX4WIN.....  good luck.

Dennis, k0eoo 
  • K1DBO
    K1DBO Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks Dennis... you solved my problem!

Your third screen shot did it.  On the configurer's mode control tab there is a check box for 'Always use packet spot mode'.  You dont have it checked, but I did.  I think the idea here is to get N1MM Logger+ to change the radio mode based on the contents of the spot.  That sounds like just the right thing for a multi-mode contest.  I must have selected it at some point thinking that it couldnt possibly hurt.  The radio mode never moved from RTTY when a spot was selected, but it did cause changes to be made in MMVARI.  In particular, it caused the RTTY transmit frequency to move from the receive frequency and for the "NET" button state to be unset.  With the option unchecked, I can now select a spot and not worry about the transmit frequency.  With all of this working properly, your choice 2210 for the alignment frequency makes more sense too.

• k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Glad that helped Mike...

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.