Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR, MiniPC, WSJT-X.....RFI problem

Options
I have a new MiniPC that I am using to run Flex. I have an issue with RFI getting into the PC and messing up WSJT-X. It didn't happen with the Mac. During transmission I hit "halt TX" but nothing happens. It apparently locks up things when transmitting. Any ideas? Perhaps some suggestions on chokes and placement? I am running Bose Companion speakers now and I get a hum while transmitting also. This is all new. It wasn't doing any of this with the Mac. By the way the speakers are not connected to the PC. Thanks for any help!

Answers

• N2WQ
    N2WQ Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Read this first http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf and then build your own chokes by following this http://audiosystemsgroup.com/2018Cook...
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Don’t ignore any wire going into and out of the PC when applying chokes. You MAY reduce kbd and mouse RFI by using wireless, but you need to try it to be sure the brand used does not suffer from interference from your transmitter at the frequencies you use. I have good luck with them, but then I run barefoot, and usually Less than 50W. Until I choked off my monitor video feed, the monitor would simply quit on 15m - PC worked fine, but I couldn’t see anything :-) Fortunately, pretty well any decent quality video cable has one or more chokes in-line - mine was cheap :-(
  • N2WQ
    N2WQ Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Chokes only cure the symptoms, not the root cause. First step should always be fixing your antenna, by properly matching and feeding it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.