Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR Locks Up Intermittently on iPad on Fast 5Ghz WiFi

Options
Rick - W5FCX
Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
Using SmartSDR for iOS on a fast WiFi network results in intermittent lockups every few seconds. The entire app display freezes for up to two seconds and audio stops, then suddenly takes off running normal for a couple of seconds. Running on a slow WiFi network works fine. Also, why doesn’t the iPad app provide the same SmartLink connection option as it does on the iPhone? I have already tried the various Net, reduced update rates, background update changes recommended in related posts. I’m on an iPad Air 2 on iOS 11.1.

Comments

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options

Have you gone to Settings and pressed "check Smartlink status?"

• Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes. That enabled SmartLink but it doesn’t connect to the radio when selected. Works great on iPhone on same WiFi network. Beginning to think this iPad is no good.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes. It says SmartLink is okay.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    When i was running my linksys router i had to use 802.11 g @ 2.4 Ghz to stop the stuttering. The asus router i have now works fine on the fastest settings.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I tried an old linksys router I have connected upstairs for my security cameras and it works perfectly over the VPN. Very odd that the slow WiFi works while the high speed WiFi fails. Must be a timing bug in the app that can’t handle the faster I/O rates. Still unable to connect via Upnp channel... but at least I’m up now on the iPad.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    This whole WLAN thing is a fad anyway. Full of problems. You need to hardwire your iPad to Ethernet. I do all the time, and it works great. I have a 300 foot length of CAT5 which let's me tether to my router and walk around the house. Works great!image

Yes, I'm totally joking. Glad to hear you got it somewhat working. 
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Good one Rob!
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I use a Netgear Nighthawk for 5GHz and my iPad Pro has no issues but then my 5GHz config has almost no competition either. There are apps that you can download that will tell you how many other wireless networks are using the same channels which could cause issues. Adjust to ensure you aren't in the "default" ranges.
  • Rick - W5FCX
    Rick - W5FCX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Seriously. It’s an unacknowedged bug. It fails miserably on fast networks! Would I kid about it?
  • Bill Garfield W1BG
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Just IMO one of the best IOS apps for finding all of the 2.4 and 5 gHz access points out there (and the channels they are operating on) is "Airport Utility" available from the App store on your IOS device.  It's about a 3 yr old app that could use some upgrading, but it works great for this specific purpose.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.