SmartSDR licensing question

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
It was previously noted that SmartSDR is licensed to a specific radio.  Can the software be installed on more than one computer at the same time provided they all operate the same Flex Radio?  I have my Flex connected to my desktop computer and want to also run it on my laptop so that I can use it around the house -- or, when the new 2.0 comes out, anywhere I decide to travel.
Photo of Andrew Thall

Andrew Thall

• 176 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
As they said it's licensed to the radio. The software is NOT licensed to a specific computer. So ANY COMPUTER with the correct version of software can connect to that radio.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Hi Howard,
In the Xenia SmartLink demo a number of radios were in the list.  And I assume they were all running the same software version (V2 alpha).  

In the future a customer may be running V3 on their personal radio and using V3 on their client.  

• Does this mean they can only connect to other radios running V3 from the V3 client?
  • Will the V2 clients show up in the server list?
  • Would they need to keep a V2 client to access V2 radios
  • Same questions for a V2 user that may want to connect to a radio running V3.  Do they need to download both V2 and V3?
 Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 -  V 1.10.16
Win10
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
It is very simple.  If you are licensed for v2, you can run v1 and v2 code.  If you are licensed for v3, you can run all lower major versions.

The radio firmware and the client software version must be in sync, as it has always been.
Photo of John McCabe - KD8K

John McCabe - KD8K

• 34 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If I keep my 6500 (using version 1 since Smartlink will not be needed) and purchase a 6600 it sounds like I will have to switch between SmartSDR versions to use both rigs on the same computer. Will it be possible to install version 1 and version 2 code on the same computer at the same time? Any issues with drivers such as DAX and CAT?

My preference would have been for Flex Radio to charge for an unlock key for feature options (such as Smartlink) rather then pay  for a version upgrade. That way all radios would be on the same code version.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
"Will it be possible to install version 1 and version 2 code on the same computer at the same time?" 

Yes.

"Any issues with drivers such as DAX and CAT?"

Maybe.  We have a feature request that should resolve any conflicts like this.

My preference would have been for Flex Radio to charge for an unlock key for feature options (such as Smartlink) rather than pay for a version upgrade. That way all radios would be on the same code version.

What you are asking for is something that we are very seriously looking into.  There isn't a name fo it, but for the time being, let's call them Value Apps.  They would be specialized features that one could use to enhance their operating experience for a reasonable price.  I can't give you any examples at this time, as I do not want to misalign any expectations it may create, but yes, there is a discussion of a more granular way to deliver features than a major version upgrade.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Simple answer.

The client and the radio need to be the same version. If they are different versions, the client will indicate that the radio needs to be updated or downgraded. If you own a Maestro you already see that in a list on the Maestro.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 947 Posts
  • 258 Reply Likes
On the original question, I have SSDR on  two computers, one a Windows 7 install on an iMac running bootcamp, and the other an HP Envy laptop with W10 - By the way, the radio runs fine on both, even if I've had update issues a few times on the Envy. All good.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1566 Posts
  • 771 Reply Likes

@Tim W4TME - Quick question on Licensing Hierarchy in Multi-Client - If I invite someone to "share" use of my radio presumably the level my radio is licensed & upgraded up to will be the defining newest possible version they can "share in" using?  Would seem useful to not let a guest change versions the Flex-6000 itself is running.

Thoughts?

Thanks and 73

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9197 Posts
  • 3557 Reply Likes
I cannot speculate how Multi-Client is going to be "licensed" or how user permission levels will be employed at this time for radio sharing.  We had a very lively discussion of these specific dynamics at Dayton but no consensus was reached.  

Once we start working on it and the feature set defined, details like this will be made available via our official channels.