Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR License won't update

Sam
Sam Member ✭✭
I tried using my Flex 6300 tonight and the software said the radio needed updated. i did that and then the software wouldn't recognize the radio. I upgrade my software to 2.0.17. After spending $200 I now have a brick sitting on my desk. The software will not update the license. i tried to downgrade the software but it will not recognize the radio. I got to say I am a bit ****

Comments

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Search back for similar reports. Is your radio plugged into your LAN or the computer? It has to be LAN connected just long enough for the radio to call home.
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    This is nearly physically impossible to do the way I have things set up. I would have to disassemble and disconnect everything to move the radio and computer so it is directly connected. Guess I'll sell it.That's a load of **** if you ask me.

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Also did you power off and disconnect power from the radio then power it back on after the software update, It needs to establish it's connection back to your router. 
    My radio locked up and said don't power off but after 15 minutes of the same thing I powered it down anyway and it came right back and was at version 2.

make sure you look at Michael's comments above too.

Bret
    WX7Y

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    You can do a simple change to windows called Internet Connection Sharing. Matt outlines how to do it in a previous post. That will solve your problem. This may help. https://community.flexradio.com/flexr...
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    So I reinstalled an older version of the software and it seems to work. Now I am out $200 as I do not see FlexRadio giving me a refund.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sam, I must ask. If you were planning to take advantage of V.2.0's ability to be accessed remotely, how did you plan to do that without the radio being able to connect to the internet? That would seem to be a basic requirement, not a load of excrement, and was plainly stated in the quick start and user guide for V.2.0. Michael has given a good suggestion. There is a way to bridge your computer's Ethernet port and wifi port together so that they will share your internet connection, giving your rig the access it needs, as long as your computer is running. I will look up the post and instructions for you.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    RTFM as the needs to upgrade are all there. The quick-start guides are very helpful and can be used as a checklist. Don't skip the parts about reboots (I tried). If you are that flummoxed you can always open a Help Ticket. Licensing depends on the licensing servers "seeing" your radio - that is how it gets your radio's license I believe. Did you have a failure to connect from the new SmartSDR program, or could you have invoked a prior version on your PC? I've done a handful of these upgrades now for other hams, and if you follow directions they go smooth. Sorting out network issues has taken the most extra time. How far into licensing did you actuallly get? Talk to FRS if you're actually giving up, as they may be able to remove your license & sort things out for you. GL and remember lots of folk are successfully doing this upgrade, so you can too. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    It is connected to the internet via wifi. I am being told it has to be a direct physical connection

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    So is one of mine connected by wifi. What is your actual network configuration? (From internet to both your radio and your PC?) Sounds like you are most of the way there. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I just created the bridge. I start everything up and no radio appears in the list. Now things are going backwards

• Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Steve, The computer is connected to the internet via wifi and the radio is connected to the computer via ethernet

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I can't hang on working this morning but if you're stuck after work (I'm on Chicago time) I'd be happy to directly email or talk by phone. After creating the bridge did the radio get shut down with power removed? The bridge likely changed how it would find your computer so yes it could be less able temporarily until you give it the chance to get back on speaking terms again. 73 Steve K9ZW
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I did shut everything down but did not disconnect the power to the radio. I am at work now also. I will try to contact you this evening. I am in Youngstown
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Sam, as indicated in the SmartSDR v2.0.17 release notes, the radio has to be connected to the Internet to download its license.  This is a one time deal.  

Also, the release notes indicate that if you have issues, rather than struggling with the problem, it is recommended that you open a HelpDesk (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com) support ticket to receive assistance.  I see that several folks are trying to render assistance.  If you continue to have issues, I recommend that you open a HelpDesk support ticket so we can resolve your issue.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

You might want to open that HelpTicket than wait.  The folks at FRS are really ace at sorting out these sorts of issues.

Steve K9ZW

• Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    I just checked the license server and your radio has contacted the server and is licensed.  You should not have a problem now.
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Tim. I am at work now. I did submit a ticket last night. Just before I left I went through everything that Steve had suggested. My problem now is that the first time I started the software the radio connected but showed no available slices. The program then shutdown saying that there was no radio connected. I rebooted everything and now the radio doesn't even show up in the software.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    Now that you have an open HelpDesk ticket, please use it for all pertinent info regarding this issue so we have it all in one place.  We'll get this issue resolved.
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Thank You

• Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I think i got this working. I did the factory reset and everything came up and the radio connected and was receiving signal. New problem started. DAX wouldn't connect. I found a step by step on how to manually reinstall the DAX drivers and things seem ok.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.