Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR latency increases with band changes

Bert
Bert Member ✭✭
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I am using SmartSDR remotely and am experiencing a significant increase in latency when I operate on any band except 20 M.  On 20, the Smartlink meter shows GOOD network connection and latency between 110 and 130.  When I switch to any other band, the latency goes up to 700 to 3000 and the network connection shows as POOR. Same results even with a direct connection into the modem and not through the wireless router.  This latency issue renders SMARTLINK unusable on all bands except 20 where it works fine.  Any help appreciated. 

Answers

• W3TAC_Tony
    W3TAC_Tony Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I'm assuming by operate you mean transmit? If so; My WAG on this symptom is RFI getting into your network. Connect a dummy load to your radio, if the problem goes away during xmit its your antenna system. Move the load to the antenna end of your coax. If it checks good you may be using an unbalanced antenna the just happens to like 20 meters. What are you using for an antenna?

Dr T  

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Assuming this is repeatable after doing a  cold reboot and or/factory reset, could it be RFI in your remote shack affecting your connectivity (router/modem)?

Can you spell out what versions you are running, what the radio is, what your network configuration with WAN transport is, and what your are using remotely (Maestro or PC)?  

Steve
    K9ZW

• Bert
    Bert Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Thanks for responding, Steve and Tony.  I am running version 2.4.9 and am running the software on an HP laptop (fairly new).  The radio is a Flex6400 with Maestro - this is located at my home QTH -.  Everything works perfectly at my home QTH using either the Maestro or this laptop, so I don't think it is RFI related.  The problem comes when I try to run this using remote SMARTSDR from my vacation home.  As I said, 20 meters works perfectly but the problem occurs when I try to change bands...the latency dramatically increases and drops packets just by changing bands.  When I run iOS from this same location using my iPad, on the same network, no problems - works perfectly.  The network at both houses is a mesh using Linksys Velop.  Network performance seems fine but I do notice that I get a message when logging into SMARTSDR on the laptop asking if I want to run in a low bandwidth network or something to that effect.  I've tried both normal and low bandwidth and the same problem occurs - in fact, if I connect directly into the modem (Comcast), the same problem occurs so it appears to have nothing to do with the wifi network per sei.  This one has me stumped...why just selecting a new band causes latency to increase and network quality to decrease without even transmitting.  Hope this helps. 
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Is it possible that either profiles or some band-specific setting on either the radio or SSDR is changing the spectrum and/or waterfall update rates? A high rate on a local network would likely work fine, but could cause serious congestion on a lower bandwidth link.
  • Bert
    Bert Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Ted,Nothing in the profiles are different and, from what I can tell, neither is anything on any of the band settings.  I do notice that the Smartlink latency jumps from good (100 ms) on 20 with very few lost packets to poor on all other bands with 5% plus dropped packets and 1800 ms or more latency.I don't understand how changing bands can also trigger a change in latency.  Any thoughts?

• Bert
    Bert Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Tony, I am having the problem on receive.  I've made test transmissions to a friend and there are no dropouts  -  the transmission sounds solid.  But when I switch back to receive, is when I have the problem. 
  • Bert
    Bert Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Hi Steve, I am running 2.4.9.  There are two networks involved....the first is the network in my primary residence, this is where the radio resides.  I can run the 6400 using the Maestro, a PC running SmartSDR and works perfectly.  When I try to run the radio using the same PC running SmartSDR from my secondary residence is when I experience the problem.  Have checked the internet speed and it is 10 Mbps or greater at my primary residence and 35 Mpbs at my secondary residence. The problem appears on when receiving, not transmitting. Let me know if you need any more information,  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.