Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

SmartSDR IOS Speech Processor Issue?

Alan - KA4B
Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
I installed the SmartSDR IOS on my new iPad Pro 12.9 last night to use with my Flex 6500.  I have tested several times with friends since then, and the audio quality is very poor compared with what it is using my MacBook Pro with Parallels.  In both cases I have used the Equalizer to suppress the bass frequencies, somewhat.

I have not discovered how to record and play back my voice using the iPad, so I have had to resort to using 1 watt and turning down the RF Gain on another radio.  If anyone knows how to record and play back using the iPad I would like to know how to do it.

When I have the speech processor in the Normal mode it appears that I have an abnormally high amount of compression and my voice sounds distorted.  This is with the Mic Bias and Booster turned off on the iPad and the Mic Gain set at about 50.  In both cases I am using the earbuds with mic that come with the iPhone that I have.

With the speech processor off my voice sounds fairly normal.  DX and DX+ are not usable.  All of these settings seem to work fine on my MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I've had very good reports when using a Logitech H800 Bluetooth Headset with my iPad.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I have found that merely keeping it "out of the red" on the IOS app still gives far too much Mic gain. 

I would recommend turning the Mic level down so that your Mic meter only peaks to about 60-70 percent, or so your compression never goes above about 50 percent when using DX or DX+ on PROC.  Set it for even less compression when using NORM.  (remember that the Compression meter shoots from the right to the left.  the further to the left it goes, the more compression you have)

If you will test this, I think you will find that the audio drive is not excessive any more.  It is possible to get very good audio from the IOS app, but you really must watch the Mic gain carefully. 

Ken - NM9P
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ken, to get my compression level down to a reasonable level in the Normal mode I have to set my mic gain down to 1 or 2%.  Something certainly appears to be amiss here.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    When you do that are you talking about the gain slider, or the number on the Mic Level meter?  If it is the slider, then you need to go into Settings>Audio>Microphone Volume Adjustment.  You may have it set too high in the settings part of the IOS app.

• Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ken,  I wasn't aware of that setting.  With the volume adjustment all the way down to -4 I still have to have the mike gain slider at about 30 percent, which means my level is down about -30 db in order to keep my compression from being excessive.  Isn't that going to negatively affect my signal strength?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    If you are showing compression, the rig is already being driven to full power. Beyond that simply brings up the average power. Too much and there will be distortion. I never let compression show more than 50-60 percent on the IOS ap, regardless what Mic gain I need to set to keep it there. I DO adjust the internal “pre-gain” to that I can keep my regular Mic gain slider between about 50-80.
  • Alan - KA4B
    Alan - KA4B Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Ken, in my case the 'pre-gain' is all the way down and I can't have the Mic gain over about 30 and that makes the Mic Level meter show about -30 dB.  Then I have to talk loud or my power is low.  Even when maxed out the power is usually hitting about 80 watts.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.