Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartsdr ios problems with VPN and audio

Answers

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2016
    I've got a pair of Bose noise-canceling headphones.. Ahhhhhhhhh.... makes the trip most enjoyable!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

I'd leave the demo audio file change for a "someday list" as it gets the job done.

I'd rather a demo reflect something other than studio quality unless that high level quality will be achieved every time without fail.

This way the actual user achieved performance will be better in the majority of cases, rather than something so slick that only a few users can duplicate it in the wild.

One think that might we useful is to overlay the screen with some information about the demo when it is selected.  Explaining the limitations of the demo and what it is intended for might address some valid concerns.

Steve K9ZW

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Here is a thread that discusses, among other things, my journey to get my ASUS router working with my ATT Uverse Motorola DSL modem/router. The last post is the final update/solution. https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/openvpn-with-asus-rt-n66u-router?topic-reply-list[settings][filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][reply_id]=16412342#reply_16412342 Hope it helps, Ken - NM9P
  • Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I'd like to further comment that there are many VPN options compatible with iOS (Iphone/iPad) devices. Softether is one of them, however many consumer and commercial firewalls/routers already provide a built-in compatible VPN that your iPhone or iPad can remotely connect to, no additional software needed. When using a VPN built into your router/firewall, you typically do not need to open additional ports or even run a PC, because the router takes care of this for you.

The Maestro and SmartSDR-Windows VPN situation is more complicated than using an iPhone or iPad native VPN, because the software lacks the configuration option to specify a fixed radio IP address, so requires a broadcast-passing VPN. Most VPNs do not pass broadcast traffic. I keep asking about this, because I believe this basic option would vastly simplify use and support. 

Mark, KC3DRE
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Part 1 is for setting up a SoftEther server on a Raspberry Pi for use with any client, not Maestro only.   At the end of the video I test it using a Windows 10 client.

Also, You only need the manager component on Windows if the Server is running on the Pi.

Plus when 2.0 comes out, we won't be using VPN so this will all be moot.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This limitation is purposely implemented by Flex to make this hard.  They don't want us simply port forwarding stuff through the firewall to get our radios to work on the internet.  By forcing this requirement, it requires us to use a VPN solution to use the radio.
  • Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Are you speaking officially for Flex, or is this more like speculation on your part?

There are numerous foolish and even dangerous things people could do with their radios. This is a licensed hobby for good reason. Restricting a client-end (SmartSDR) program so that hopefully people might be less likely to do something **** on the server (radio) end of the network connection seems misguided, ineffective, and like a disservice to many of us who would benefit from more FLEXible networking of this otherwise totally awesome and amazing product.

In order to prevent someone from opening up their Flex radio to non-protected-by-VPN risky connections from the Internet, measures would need to be taken on the radio end of the network connection. Crippling the client doesn't protect the radio.

Mark, KC3DRE
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Obviously I'm not able to talk officially, as I'm not an employee, but it is well known since release that SmartSDR has been purposely restricted to same-subnet operation due to no authentication on the radio.   The restriction is done on the radio.  My attempts at deciphering the block allows TCP metering data to be forwarded out of the subnet, but the VITA49 UDP stream will not exit the subnet.   Radio discovery is done via a broadcast on the subnet.  The new IOS app allows a direct connect ignoring the broadcast as a discovery technique.

I've been part of the Alpha team since the beginning and am under NDA, so my ability to openly discuss reasons, future features, or even rumors is restricted.   An FRS employee will chime in if necessary to discuss displeasure in their business decisions.
  • Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Perhaps I was unclear then. I am suggesting that it would be beneficial for SmartSDR for Windows and Maestro to permit the same kind of (more flexible) direct IP connection as the new iOS app does.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    That's what 2.0 will be.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Not speaking for anyone by myself...And purely my own speculation without reference to any Alpha discussions that I am aware of...

My impression is that it could be structured this way for multiple, overlapping reasons:

1) It may be intended to protect the integrity of future network-interlinked multiple receiving stations that may rely upon the data produced by a myriad of geographically diverse stations.

2) Requiring VPN or other authentication would protect the rest of the user's home/business network from outside mischief.  Having unsecured peripheral hardware opened to the outside world via a non-VPN connection can potentially put everything on the Local Area Network at risk, as well as anything else to which the Local Area Network is connected via OTHER VPN's.  i.e. One small leak in an otherwise solid water system can lead to contamination of the entire water supply.

(Remember the first Gulf War?  Some sources later reported that one of the techniques used to **** Iraqi Air Defenses was to introduce a printer or other device to the network that had Trojan Horse software which allowed timely disruption of the air defense computer network.)

FRS may be protecting itself from liability claims from those who poke holes in their own network in order to achieve easy connectivity and suffer the consequences, but wish to blame others via expensive lawsuits....  

3) This may be a requirement for more demanding government and commercial customers that may use common elements of the software/hardware incorporated into the Flex-6000 system.

4) Requiring authentication may be designed more to protect the radio itself from harm caused by hackers (which could result in expensive repairs and the opportunity for nay-sayers to malign FRS) than to protect the amateur from having his station hijacked by unauthorized users who might make illegal transmissions.

Again....I am not an employee or agent of FRS, but there are just a few possible reasons FRS may have considered in its decisions about how "open" this piece of equipment is to the Wider Internet. 

Ken - NM9P
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The direct IP connection of the IOS app does not work out of the subnet either because of the radio-side restriction. Also, the IOS app was written by an external developer so that's why there may be a bit of dissimilar features between them.
  • Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    This is not true. It is not true that the direct IP connection of the IOS app does not work outside of the subnet.

The direct connection in the IOS app DOES work very well outside of the subnet via direct WiFi as well as via IOS-supported VPNs. These VPNs typically do NOT pass broadcast packets. The purpose of the direct IP feature is so the app can discover the radio when not on the same subnet. This is applicable regardless of whether you are using VPN, by the way.

I am enjoying using my Flex radio via the iPhone app right now, using a WiFi network which is not on the same subnet as the Flex radio base. While it is common in residential situations to put your WiFi network on the same subnet as your wired LAN, it is best practice not to in larger scale or more security conscious environments.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I have tried NAT forwarding only with the IOS app (TCP/UDP 4991-4992).  I haven't tried subnet to subnet without NAT involved yet with it with the IOS app.  If that does work, that will allow more VPN choices besides SoftEther.  Many VPN servers in cheap routers use a different subnet instead of ProxyARP or bridging.   Good info.
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited August 2016
    I went through all this, and turned on fixed IP ad scan instead, and was finally able to connect through VPN, HOWEVER   NO AUDIO and nothing on the waterfall!
  • Lee Maisel
    Lee Maisel Member
    edited August 2016
    i am able to connect using vpn and marcus's ios app, but NO AUDIO

• Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    When I first connected, I thought I had no audio, but then I discovered that the default audio level is so soft as to be inaudible.
    - Device Audio must be turned On, top option on left-side menu.
    - Audio panel from frequency control must have Volume slider set to 90-100
    - iPhone/iPad side-volume control must be set to near maximum
    I believe this is probably a bug.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Not a bug. It's a feature.
  • Cliff - G4PZK
    Cliff - G4PZK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Even when V2.0 supports a VPN natively I would still not use the facility. It is far from ideal to punch ANY holes through the network gateway perimeter device. When ports are opened they normally route only to DMZ devices like web servers or SMTP systems. I deal with PCI-DSS credit card systems from time to time and opening ANY port usually results in the required security tests failing and subsequently PCI-DSS compliance. Over the years the credit card companies have massively tightened up their requirements for network hardening and with good reason.

It's true that for home users full commercial level security with hardened gateways may not be required but it's much better to make the router device itself act as the VPN server using L2TP/IPSEC or whatever rather than punch holes through the firewall. The next level used commercially is to use a router and a dedicated and hardened firewall device.

I'm not saying that SoftEther per se is a bad solution (quite the contrary) but having ports opened to other devices running other operating systems does multiply risk especially if the machine in question is running a general purpose OS rather than being a dedicated device. I really hope that SmartSDR will soon support the ability to specify the IP address of a Flex radio rather than using broadcast packets in order to discover any devices. I do appreciate why Flex used this method, not least to massively reduce their support burden, but I do not want to have to bridge my remote VPN connection when it should be sufficient to simply specify an IP address. Given that the Apple IOS client can do this it can't be a huge effort to modify the Windows client.

Just my 0.02 worth.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    My gut feeling is that 2.0 won't use VPN, but rather encryption such as SSH and add user authentication. Auto discovery will likely be done similarly to TeamViewer. Again, these are guesses and I do not speak for FRS. This is how I'd build it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    So just to speculate, as a relative VPN/SSH Networking noobie.....And not looking for anything that would violate NDA's...

If FRS or any other vender doing similar networking were to do SSH encryption with user authentication, would a user then need to do a simple port forwarding to the IP of the 6000 rig, similar to what is required to pass Echolink to a local computer?  Or would NAT punch-through routines or port forwarding already be automatic, like some media sharing and gaming applications?

Would we then have a pre-shared Key or even a key-code or config file similar to what OpenVPN requires on each client?

Might we even need to use either direct IP entry or a DDNS name server like I use with my ASUS router, since I do not have a static IP from my home internet provider?

These are hypothetical questions about general WAN networking more than specifics related to SSDR/WAN.  But is this the type of thing you are suggesting if they did it "the way YOU would do it?"

If so, it doesn't sound too difficult to master.  But might take a little hand-holding  for some who are more cyberphobic.....

I'm always trying to learn something more........

Ken - NM9P   

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I wouldn't speculate too much.  There are a dozen ways to "skin this cat" as they say.  I can tell you that the design goals are to make WAN remote as transparent as possible and for it not to require third-party software or make the user perform custom configurations on routers.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nice!  Especially the part about not requiring custom router configs.

My speculations, however, are mostly an exercise to sharpen my understanding of the many different nuances of networking.  

I have played around with SSH, VPN, Remote NAS Drives (such as D-Link DNS-232 and Qnap-210), Freenas on an old desktop, and have even done some other interesting things with embedded linux utilities on my NAS Drives.    But even then, I feel like a real rookie when I talk to some of you folks who do this for a living!

Looking forward to seeing what the real pro's will come up with.
    Keep up the good work..

Ken - NM9P

• Cliff - G4PZK
    Cliff - G4PZK Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

An SSH based solution would be a neater solution but still require a port to be opened of course.

<SPECULATION>

The only way you can avoid opening a port for incoming connections is for an outgoing connection to already be made like for instance if Flex (or whoever) were to act as an intermediary of some sort. Personally I shy away from those kind of scenarios or at least I never leave them active but only activate them as required (hmmm, I do use Skype!). This would give a very useful database/network of connected systems of course.

</SPECULATION>

Speculation is a pointless exercise really as Tim has been saying. They will do what they do and will naturally aim to minimise the support burden. As long as it's easy and works no user will care hugely I'm sure.

I await V2.0 from user land with interest.

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    To make it completely transparent, my method would be to use UDP hole punching + UPNP.  

The SmartSDR client machine has a TCP connection to the discovery server at Flex.  The radio has a TCP connection to the discovery server at Flex.  When you click Connect, the client tells the discovery server what it wants to do.  The discovery server gives the client the IP address of the radio.  The SmartSDR client begins firing UDP packets at the radio's public IP.  The radio is informed from the discovery server that you intend to connect and is given your client public IP.  The radio starts firing UDP packets at you.   This causes both firewalls (yours and the client) to let the traffic flow "punching holes".

This setups the UDP VITA 49 stream.  For the TCP metering, the radio could dynamically register a port on your home firewall with UPNP and convey this dynamic port to the client via the discovery server.  This TCP port would be encrypted and authenticated via SSH.
  • Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I just wish we had the option to enter the radio IP into SmartSDR and Maestro, (like as we do with the iOS app), for those of us who already have secure firewall-based VPNs, or merely want to connect from a different subnet within our network.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Patience Grasshopper....Patience!
  • John W9KXQ
    John W9KXQ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I now have an iPad with the SmartSDR for iOS App installed and working.  Additionally I have followed Chris K6OZY's YouTube Video and believe that I have the SoftEther Raspberry Pi operational---Now how do I set up the VPN from my iPad to connect so that I can use the iPad outside my home network??  I have been unable to find instructions for this.

Thanks,
    John
    W9KXQ
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited February 2017
    Ever since I got things working on the iPad Pro using my R7000 with OpenVPN I have been having a blast listening to the radio. Works every single time now.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.