Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

smartsdr ios problems with VPN and audio

Before I spend 50 bucks. I want to know that this works. So far I cant get the VPN to see my server. I have viewed the videos and websites over and over again with no luck. Cant seem to connect on Iphone/Ipad.

Also, The demo audio is atrocious. Is it supposed to be that way? It is all choppy and distorted on both devices. as if it is experiencing packet loss. but this shouldnt be if it is simulated as a demo.

Why is this program any better than  a VNC and Skype which are both free?

Not to be a buzz **** but I've been trying this since yesterday and wasting a lot of time trying to get this working when I already have a method that works just fine.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Answers

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm sorry you're having problems with L2TP on your IOS device, but you won't get any help from Flex on that.  VPN is unsupported by Flex.   They currently will only support a LAN configuration.   

This app is much MUCH better because it's the full client at your fingertips rather than redirection of another computer.  

If you can't get your VPN connected, and you have no need for it on your LAN, you should likely pass for now until 2.0 comes out.
  • Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Howard

If you will be using a iPad or IPhone remotely via the built-in iOS L2TP client you will need to setup additional port forwarding rules on your router. Those forwarded ports are:

UDP 1701, UDP 500 and UDP 4500

I had the same issue because I forgot to do the port forwarding.  Once I setup port forwarding everything started working fine! 

Cal/N3CAL
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2016
    I connect to the computer running the flex software directly and its like being home. I've been doing this for 4 years now using a VNC program and Skype without a hitch. I thought maybe this would be a better way to go. Looked interesting.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2016
    All those ports are open already... Sigh....
  • Phil M0VSE
    Phil M0VSE Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I'm pretty sure that is the most that you can do with the demo but I have been very happy with the app so far since purchasing it. There are a couple of minor issues but audio quality (even over 4g) is very good. 
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I note in the manual the program calls for an iPad "3". Has anyone tried the program on a iPad Air ( not 2) or do I have to use this as an excuse to upgrade ?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Howard, what are you using on the radio end of your network to provide a L2TP VPN connection? There are many who have had excellent luck with SoftEther.net. I myself have used a PPTP VPN included onmy ASUS router with my iOS devices. It isn't as secure as L2TP, but works. I have also used OpenVPN on my ASUS router to VPN with my Windows laptop from the office.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited February 2018
    If someone is showcasing an app that costs 50 dollars, wouldn't you think they would make sure that the audio quality (for demo purposes) would be good? Something isn't making sense. 
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Ipad 3 came BEFORE the Air. Should work OK]] But you really wanted to see it on the iPad Pro
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    iPad Air and iPad Pro here, plus iPhone 6. All work very well, with good audio (much better than the demo quality). The Pro is noticeably smoother, Sam you might imagine. Bandwidth is selectable - and it helps a great deal on slower connections. Haven't tried via VPN yet, but am not too worried about that.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016

Ken,

I am trying to setup the PPTP VPN on an ASUS router and IPad.  Did you have to do any port forwarding on the router for the SmartSDR IOS to work,  and where did you get the L2TP Secure Key that is required as part of the configuration on the IPad?

Reggie

• Cal  N3CAL
    Cal N3CAL Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    iPad Mini Air 4 here.  Works good with VPN over 4G.   (Radio Side has Softether running on a Windows 10 Machine)

Cal/N3CAL
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited August 2016
    Ken, Ive been using soft ether for years but with windows on both ends. Never had an issue.
  • Jay -- N0FB
    Jay -- N0FB Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Howard, the IOS app is designed to work on a Local Area Network such as your home. It does a great job, and I have had a lot of enjoyment under this type of use. When I'm in the living room, bedroom, or kitchen, I can connect to my flex and it is an amazing experience. Well worth the $50. I've had some success using it over the WAN using both SoftEther and OSX Server VPN (Both L2TP). Ive yet to get the waterfall to work when doing this. It doesn't matter if I'm usin a Maestro, SmartSDR for Windows or IOS, the waterfall just doesn't play through my VPN configuration. Everything else works like a champ including the Panadapter. That the waterfall doesn't work for me is not Flex Radio's or Marcus. We are trying to trick the software to be used in an environment for which it was not designed. This will be native in upcoming releases of SmartSDR for Windows and IOS. Until then I still search for the "special sauce" that gives me the full native experience via VPN connection. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. As to the audio quality, th demo is of a prerecorded QSO which has been saved within the applet. High quality audio takes a lot of memory., artificially bloating the size of the App. The demo is to give you a taste of the experience. There is nothing nefarious going on. It was a smart decision on Marcus's part to tchoose a smaller applet size at the cost of lower quality audio recording on the demo.
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I would think its either a required port not forwarded or a firewall rule needs to be set for the waterfall data to pass through. When I get stumped with something like this the first thing I do is temporarily set the router to pass everything through (DMZ). If that still don't work temporarily turn any software/antivirus off. This will at least rule those out.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

best guess is that you have a port set wrong or a firewall issue

Or perhaps u do not have L2TP protocol enabled in SoftEther.

The iPad/VPN  should easily connect to the VPN via L2TP

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017

Bottom Line
    It's only $50 + Spots and Bandmap = $59.99

Try it.. if you do not like it

How to get a refund using iTunes

http://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

I suspect that you will like it enough to want to keep it..

• Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am running it on an IPAD 3 and it runs pretty good on wifi once you turn the bandwidth down, the audio smooth's right out. My 3G cellular/vpn connection is choppy.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016

I ran the Alpha versions over 4G Cellular from France in June via VPN to La Jolla, CA and I got superb audio reports .

I have run the production version over 4G Cellular from my iPhone in my car again with good reports..

However - to qualify this... my Internet is 300Mb/s/30Mb/s in La Jolla...

YMMV

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Well I paid ($69.95 up here) and the app will not connect to the Flex. When I try to connect I gat "Searching error" in the pop up box. Tried scanning and connecting directly to the fixed IP address of the Flex. Still no luck. I can connect just fine using the K6TU Remote app (and with the Maestro) so it does not seem to be a network issue.

Tim VE6SH
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yes it is a better way because it's a native app for the iPad/iPhone. But then I do not have a Windows tablet
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Think of it as a video demonstration

It is not A cool which are working version of the program. For a working version program you need to buy the app and connected to a flex 6000 series radio
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You set ur own Secret Key in SoftEther and in the iPhone client Use something simple like VPN
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim

Can you ping the flex ip from ur iPad? Are you on the same ip subnet
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It is NOT intended to showcase SSDR. It is only a simple video to show how the app looks. More dynamically than screen shots. The demo audio likely will be rerecorded sometime in the future but realistically it's irrelevant to the actual operation of the app. Why don't you see if you can find someone wth a 6000 near you that you can actually see a real radio in action.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Howard, opened is one thing.  Did you forward them through the firewall to your SmartEther server?

I just tested it and it worked wonderfully.  

These are my ports on my Router running DDWRT.   The first column is a name (anything works).  The 2nd is the Port From, 3rd is the Protocol, 4th is the target IP address inside your network (where Softether is running) and the forth matches the 2nd.

Mike va3mw

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Yes, I guess.  But this is a 1 person show, not Microsoft with any entire media team.  I would cut him some slack.

Mike va3mw

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Tim, I can Teamviewer into your network if you like and help out.  Make sure on your Wifi router that you have client security turned off.  There are a few tuning tools that prevent 1 client from seeing another client.  This may be your issue.  

Wifi vendors do this to limit the amount of traffic being sent out on the Wifi network.  Not all traffic is echo'd from the hardwire network to the Wifi network.

Mike va3mw

• Mark G Thomas
    Mark G Thomas Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    If not on the same subnet, such as when using iOS VPN or other situations, it is necessary to enter the current IP of the Flex6k radio, and turn on "Fixed IP" and turn on the "Scan instead of discovery" options on the Settings menu. This works great for me, both via WiFi at home and while away from home using iOS VPN.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You sound like ur in the UK. If so, there are dealers that can demo the 6000. Or post ur area location. U might be surprised to find someone nearby

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.